ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1743976 - 06/03/18 03:47 PM Sannibel Island Florida
Tall 1 Offline

I was invited on a tarpon trip to the Sannibel and Captiva Island area near Ft. Meyers Florida.
My friend bought a condo there and a sweet 22ft Robalo to fish from.
Day 1 they put the boat in for us at 7 and we were off.
The dock talk was that the tarpon were around, but not so much since the storm that blew through.
We looked for tarpon all morning but only saw 2 free jumping. Bummed, we decided to hit the mangrove choked shorelines for snook, jacks, trout etc..
We had no live bait, which we soon realized was really the way to catch em, whether pilcherds or shrimp.
We picked away at the shores and caught some trout and a few small snook. We did pretty well with paddle tails on jighead and on walking top waters.
We saw a few black tip sharks too, but they wouldn't commit.
The next day found us in a different area and it was almost a repeat of day 1. All the trout you wanted to catch, some jacks, spanish mackerel and even a catfish, but alas, no tarpon.
We decided to hire a local guide for day 3, my last day there.
His price was very reasonable, and he was willing to use my buddy's boat. He was a great young man, hardworking and super down to earth.
However, he agreed, the tarpon just were not in thick yet. He hasn't targeted them in weeks.
So we went to make bait, which took alot longer than it has all year, due to the slack tide, or the bait being down too deep so they would scatter.
We finally got 2 live wells filled good enough and decided to catch snook and snappers around docks and mangroves until the tide got moving.
The live bait was like magic.
Put it in the shade and it didn't take long.
We caught fish at every stop we made.
We saw a few big snook but most of ours were 18-24" or so. We caught about 25 snook and a few snappers.
The biggest fish of the trip got munched by a dolphin that were always around the boat. It was 15 lbs and close to 40"! What a sight to see that dolphin screaming in, pushing white water, then surfacing with that pig. Too cool.
After the bite slowed we went out front off of Sannibel beach to look for tarpon.
Boy, was that water turquoise green. So beautiful.
Within minutes we started seeing tarpon rolling, not everywhere, but enough to start blind casting.
We had several shots at small groups that came by near the boat, but after an hour of frustration in the sweltering Florida sun we decided to call it and headed back, defeated, but satisfied. It had been a great trip despite the lack of a tarpon.
Fishing next to dolphins, In turquoise colored water, or back in the mangrove jungles, it was a great experience.

Jim's boat

Catching Bait

That WTF look. Getting bait hadn't been this hard in months. It was that day.

That water

Our fishing partners everywhere we went

Mitch's winter home

Snook from under a dock

Edited by Tall 1 (06/03/18 05:30 PM)
Fishing Info
#1743985 - 06/03/18 05:59 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
Too bad no Tarpon but lots of fish pulling your string.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
#1743999 - 06/03/18 08:04 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Love Florida fishing, still a good trip Jon...

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1744002 - 06/03/18 08:55 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Well it still looks like an awesome trip! Nice job Jon.

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#1744004 - 06/03/18 09:50 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
Nice trip and a great change of pace.

Just so people know those snook he is holding are like 35" long his name is Tall1 for a reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1744006 - 06/03/18 10:55 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Sweetchuck]
Tall 1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Sweetchuck
Nice trip and a great change of pace.

Just so people know those snook he is holding are like 35" long his name is Tall1 for a reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true... I make em look small. 6'10" is tough for picture taking.
#1744009 - 06/04/18 05:51 AM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
That will keep you going back for more. Sure looked like a fun trip.

New House 5/18
#1744014 - 06/04/18 09:46 AM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
tommy Offline

Loc: Danbury
Nice report and beautiful pics. When my mother-in-law was still with us her home was in Pine Island which is the next on up from Sannibel. We went there for our vacations and visited Sannibal a few times.

Such a beautiful area and full of fish. Glad you had a great time.
#1744028 - 06/04/18 01:06 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
BRShuntfish Offline

That is my favorite place in Florida. Beauty everywhere you look. I stayed at Jensons on the beach 9in Captiva twice, caught fish off of the beach each time. I hope to see more posts from you, maby a couple of tarpon next time Jon.

Edited by BRShuntfish (06/04/18 01:08 PM)

Brian Roy Stevens
#1744040 - 06/04/18 04:41 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
Mitch P. Offline

Sweet. Can't be the beautiful water.

Originally Posted By: Tall 1

Mitch's winter home

Yeah, that's me in the background with the grass trimmer, yelling at my fellow landscapers in broken Spanish. "Hurry up and let's finish, so we can go get a few Coronas before they come home." biggrin
#1744043 - 06/04/18 04:46 PM Re: Sannibel Island Florida [Re: Tall 1]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
pinfish and greenbacks work great cast net will get all that you need. Mullet work amazingly well there as well. Suggest getting your nets from Bass pro and buy the warranty because then you can return them when they get caught up on rocks.

Tarpon re not as easily caught as one would think I fished almost every day for 6 months and only landed 4 hooked maybe 50 but landed is a different topic.

the MirrOlures suspending twitchbait works amazingly well

Fished with a twitching retrieve, the MirrOlure MirrOdine XL Twitchbait darts from side-to-side, mimicking a wounded baitfish. This lure features bright, reflective, luminescent inserts, "fish-calling" rattles, and natural 3-D eyes to enhance their realism, plus extra-strong hooks. With its wide-body profile and realistic baitfish pattern it produces violent strikes

Edited by MikeDero (06/04/18 04:50 PM)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Active Topics