ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1744559 - 06/12/18 03:21 PM Registering a boat with no Paperwork
Mat_Machado Offline

Loc: Bridgewater CT
So I acquired a boat but the person I got it from had no paperwork with it. I was going to sell it but decided if I could register it, why not. What do I need to do in order to register the vessel? Any info would be great because the people at DMV are absolutely useless. Thanks in advance!
Fishing Info
#1744561 - 06/12/18 03:39 PM Re: Registering a boat with no Paperwork [Re: Mat_Machado]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
First thing you need is a bill of sale. There is a CT Bill of sale H-31 REV. 1-2017.ofm CT Bill of sale

Use that form and have everything you can filled in then it is off to the DMV for you. Bring a lunch and some patients.

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1744565 - 06/12/18 04:15 PM Re: Registering a boat with no Paperwork [Re: Mat_Machado]
mark_g Offline

F.K.A. AllTideUp

Loc: Rocky Hill & Westbrook
I’ve used this document in the past along with the bill of sale mentioned above. It has to be notorized.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/h-115.pdf
#1744570 - 06/12/18 04:34 PM Re: Registering a boat with no Paperwork [Re: Mat_Machado]
Mat_Machado Offline

Loc: Bridgewater CT
heres the thing, i got the boat from someone who owns a paving company and the vessell had been sitting there since 94, owner abandoned it. So the bill of sale is the issue
#1744573 - 06/12/18 04:54 PM Re: Registering a boat with no Paperwork [Re: Mat_Machado]
O-BASS Offline

Then you have to approach this from the bottom up.

You're going to need to get the affidavit they have at the DMV four vessels or vehicles that have no whole identification number, and in the description right that you were able to get the boat for free, from the front yard of a guy who is giving it away.

Next, you need to explain that there are no Hull identification numbers available on the boat. Probably because it was built before whatever the cutoff date is for boats. I think that's something like 1980 or 1960. I can't remember off the top of my head even though I do this almost every up two years.

You're going to get that form notarized, of which prior to if there were any traces of a hull identification number you're going to eliminate those.

The notarized affidavit explaining how you obtain the boat and the fact that there's no registration numbers or all identification numbers to trace back to a previous owner will take the place of the bill of sale, and eliminate the hassle of when they inevitably Trace back the hull identification number or the old registration numbers to whoever the previous owner was, who is likely dead or unable to be found.

Now you will be assigned a new Hall identification number, a new registration number, and handed your registration and stickers. You may or may not have to bring the boat in, and if it's sitting on a trailer you will likely have to do the exact same process for the trailer.

you're welcome to call me if you need help. I've had to do this with a lot of small Jon boats for projects that were older, which I was either given for free or purchased for a very small amount of money from a scrap yard or a marina that just had them lying around in the back.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics