ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1751404 - 09/17/18 06:05 PM Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook
The Fish Man Offline

Loc: CT
The public shore access point at Cornfield Point in Old Saybrook was closed off with rocks earlier this summer. After I waged a political battle about it, the rocks were "mostly" removed.
There was always two parking spaces and a handicapped space, with a bike rack. Now, there is one public space, a handicapped space, and no bike rack. There are three remaining stones blocking the second public parking spot and the bike rack is gone.
If this truly is a public shore access point, how did we, the public loose one spot? Why was the beach association allowed to trump public tax payers?
I ask that you look further into this matter, with the aim to restore the area to it's prior status with a bike rack, two regular parking spots and one handicapped parking spot.
I eagerly await your response.
Thank you.

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
Fishing Info
#1751994 - 09/26/18 10:57 AM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
BLUECHIP Offline

Loc: Old Lyme
#Following
#1751998 - 09/26/18 12:26 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Good job fighting this and hound dogging it Rich! Odd they took the bike rack away....pretty innocuous having people bike there

Maybe it's time for a CTF surf casting and BSing event there. We can all park at Saybrook Point Inn or somewhere and use 1 car to shuttle us all, and I'm sure there's a CTFer here with a handicap hang tag for the other spot.

We can also do a trash pickup scavenge there before we leave so we're seen as friendly users of the spot, and environment minded ambassadors.
#1752008 - 09/26/18 04:08 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
I'm in! Great job, fish man !

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#1752393 - 10/03/18 12:59 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
The Fish Man Offline

May be fun to get a flotilla of boats out there, anchor out front, and all play Pigs (Three different ones) "Big man Pig man..." from Pink Floyd Animals on full volume for about four hours while we fish for bass and blacks. Sounds like an event Mitch would sanction!
But seriously, every one that I know that fishes there regularly picks up and does police the area. There is no litter nor any other stated concerns going on. I just want both parking spots returned, and the bike rack returned. This, after all, is a DEEP shore access point listed on their website. I read that to mean that it belongs to the taxpayers. Not just the beach association.
I would love to hear a reply from our DEEP representative on the status of this.

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
#1752437 - 10/04/18 06:39 AM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
O-BASS Offline

I don't think the Deep really keeps up with this thread or website anymore since skip left. Might be a better idea just to call them directly
#1752529 - 10/04/18 08:59 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: O-BASS]
mikek06511 Offline

Originally Posted By: O-BASS
I don't think the Deep really keeps up with this thread or website anymore since skip left. Might be a better idea just to call them directly

I still get to the Fisheries Advisory Council meetings and the Marine Advisory Group too but have nothing on the schedule until December. Unless another meeting is called but not likely.
So I agree the best thing to do is to call DEEP.
#1753643 - 10/23/18 04:41 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
The Fish Man Offline

I talked with a town employee. He said he would mistakenly plow the other three rocks away from the parking area come the first snowfall. May be just jawing, but we have to fight for access. Not fair that our taxes pay for these access points and they are being taken away. The law in CT is that beach association presidents have jurisdiction over taxpayers. Something wrong there.

#1753719 - 10/24/18 04:13 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
jbskip Offline

Beach Association Tax Jurisdiction applies only to those homeowners in a deeded association. Many shoreline towns have beach associations that levee their association fees as taxes so there is way to enforce even collection among all association members. They have absolutely no jurisdiction over anyone who is not a member of the beach association.
#1753816 - 10/26/18 08:49 PM Re: Cornfield Point, Old Saybrook [Re: The Fish Man]
Buck Offline

This is Leydon v. Town of Greenwich all over again. Read that case and go directly to the Ct. State Attorney General like we all did with the Bantam Lake boat launch issue where the state lost the lease to the state boat launch and the Town of Morris turned the launch into a town-only launch. We challenged that saying that non-residents must have access and the state's AG (Blumenthal at the time) ruled that the Constitution's 1st Amendment right to assemble guaranteed the right to use the Town of Morris Bantam Lake boat launch. Equally egregious is limiting access through unreasonable fees (economic barriers) or restrictive physical access (rock barriers blocking off parking), etc.
What the Beach Association is attempting to do here is to say that there is access to the public but it just isn't as robust as it was before but it is enough. This is similar to the Lake Waramaug strategy where instead of a deep water boat launch at the State Park where dozens of boats could launch and park the lake community lobbied the Governor (Rowland) for a special deal where the DEP would give the Town of Washington 100,000 dollars to expand the town boat launch (six more parking spots, limited hours, public access with boat washing pre-requisite) and allow the public to use it under egregious restrictions in lieu of the double wide deep water launch at the State Park with a 100 acres of field parking areas.
This is all designed to limit access. Go to your local legislatures and the AG and file a grievance.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics