ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1751497 - 09/19/18 06:34 AM Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I just returned from a trip on the Rio Negro and all I can say is WOW!!! The trip was set up by a Brazilian Pro Staffer of ours on one of the boats they run, the Kalua

We flew to Manauas, then to Barcelos where we boarded the Kalua and began the trip up river. Along with the support boat, we drive at night towing boats for 14 guests. We anchor up in the wee hours of the morning, eat breakfast and at 06:00 all scatter to different spots from there. As we fish our way upriver throughout the day, the Kalua makes her way up behind us to collect us at 18:00 for dinner and drinks then continues up river all night to repeat the process all over again.

This was the first week of operation in the '18-'19 season. The water on the Rio Negro was nearly 10 feet higher then normal due to heavy rain and abnormal snow melt in the mountains of Columbia. Unfortunately, this pushed the fish deep into the jungle. We worked hard all day every day fishing 12 hours each day. We averaged 5 fish per guy per day vs the 40 we should have seen... That said, I would do it again in a SECOND.
To catch the fish we did, my parter and I worked together by throwing Woodchoppers into tight holes in the jungle as far back into #*&! as we could get them and ripped them back. It was the most exhausting, technical fishing I've ever done but by far the most rewarding. The idea is to make 20-30 casts into the same spot to draw the fish out from up to 50 yards deep in the jungle. After 5 minutes or so, if we had no hits, we would switch up with one of us throwing a spook, a sub walker or a jig. If there was a fish there, you'd get bit within a few casts. If not, move on. The guides literally knew every square inch for the 200 plus miles we traveled upriver. It was shocking how well they knew the every creek, lagoon, shortcut, nook and cranny. The older, more experienced guide learned the region by catching exotic fish for the world's aquarium markets. They would go for weeks at a time upriver. Once the Amazon tourism fishery exploded, it was far more lucrative to guide for us gringos.

Toilet flush!!!

I've heard for years how violent the hits are and how hard the peacocks fight. I thought I knew what I was in for... Wrong! When a big fish hits a topwater, there is zero warning and the fish launches entirely out of the water. It is the most vicious, heart stopping sight I've ever seen. They aren't hitting because they are hungry, they are hitting the Woodchopper because they are pissed and the want to KILL IT. With drags fully locked and spools thumbed, they would still get you into the woods. We lost a few tht we couldn't stop but never broke one off. We used straight 80 pound PowerPro. Most of the bigger ones would jump repeatedly once winched back out of the jungle...

Along the way, we stopped at several villages out in the middle of nowhere. Obviously, communication was difficult but they were always happy to see us and showed us around. We made sure to leave them with ice cold waters and soda upon leaving. They live a hard life but do just fine with not much help from the outside world.

Here are a few random pics of our travels.

While the fishing was tough, overall the entire experience was amazing. We are already planning our return. Next time, we will go later in the year, it will be hotter and more crowded in October/November but we will fish some more remote areas and will see better numbers of big fish.
Fishing Info
#1751498 - 09/19/18 06:42 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
skeetersx190 Offline

Loc: enfield
wow amazing!!!!..trip of a lifetime!!,thanks for sharing
#1751499 - 09/19/18 07:10 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: skeetersx190]
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
FREAKIN AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing, Blaine ! !
Here is one of our associates in Pompano Beach, Fl with a nice one. She says they fight pretty hard, LOL

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#1751504 - 09/19/18 07:42 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Awesome Blaine! Paul those suburban fish don't fight like those jungle ones!

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#1751507 - 09/19/18 08:46 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
Tall 1 Offline

Amazing trip Blaine. Thanks for sharing the adventure with us. Great pics as always!
#1751509 - 09/19/18 09:16 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
Mycept Offline

Thanks for sharing this - definitely a great trip.
#1751513 - 09/19/18 10:30 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Superb ! Thanks for posting. Ive caught Butterfly peacocks in Florida, but this is a whole different ball game.

WWJD ?

#1751516 - 09/19/18 10:54 AM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
Ouchigan Offline

Loc: CT Shoreline
Amazing trip
#1751523 - 09/19/18 12:15 PM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
Buck Offline

Another great trip and report. That is some wild country.
#1751529 - 09/19/18 01:23 PM Re: Peacock bass in the Amazon - TONS OF PICS [Re: Blaine]
hsb Offline
Ice is for bourbon

Loc: Ft Mill, SC
Bucket list trip for me.

Kevin D. (aka Capt-Livewell)
Life's new motto: In chaos and in chaos

http://mylittlebuddysboat.com/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Active Topics