Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1766843 - 06/10/19 11:45 AM Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/body-texas-pol...topstories.html

Lost his balance due to a passing boat wake. Not sure if he hit his head on the way in or what, but he didn't make it.

I know I've chosen comfort over safety in the past when not operating the gas motor, but I started following O'Bass's example shortly after my son came along just so my name is never headlined in one of these stories - hopefully someone else makes the change after reading this.
Fishing Info
#1766845 - 06/10/19 12:18 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
Sad news. By the looks of him and his police training it would appear he was a very physically fit person. It just goes to show how fast an accident can happen and no matter how fit you are the water can be a dangerous place.

I made a deal with my wife when I got my kayak that I would never get in it with out my PFD on.

I bought a new one thanks to come recommendations on here and have a Mustang MD3183. Most comfortable PFD I have ever owned.

Link for the place I bought it Best prices I have seen on them.

Mustang

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1766887 - 06/10/19 08:22 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
Mr. Cabrazzi Offline

Loc: north, ct: Boat in New London
at 48yo, i decided this year to get a super lightweight inflatable pfd that i wear from dock to dock. three trips into the season and dont notice it anymore. too many fatalities to take it lightly.
#1766942 - 06/11/19 07:26 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: Mr. Cabrazzi]
whaler150dan Offline

Loc: Western Sound
On the dark side... this is actually the way I’d want to go. Certainly not at a still viable age/condition. Plan B should be to make sure you have plenty of life insurance so that when you totally Screw your family by being an incompetent guardian, at least the ones who depend on you won’t suffer financially as well. And not 300k. That won’t cover #*&!. Not on CT anyway. PFD vs More insurance. Math is pretty simple.

My living will says F hospice... send me out fishing with a pole and half tank of gas pointed East.

Dan B
#1766944 - 06/11/19 07:54 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Chunk me over SW Reef and fish me hard (well not hard you gutterheads).
#1766972 - 06/12/19 08:50 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
macattack678 Offline

USN (Ret)

Loc: North Stonington
I'm never in the kayak with out wearing my Mustang. I haven't been so good about it in the jon boat or riding in other peoples boats. Just got to have one in the boat right? (inflatables don't count unless you're wearing it) I have been working on that. I've read so many stories of deaths on the water that seem to be avoidable. Just no telling what can happen. Be safe out there.

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions."

"Great fishermen are not born that way.....They become so through a lifetime of neglecting other things in their lives."

"Don't try to explain it. Just nod your head. Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on.

#1766973 - 06/12/19 09:16 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
I get the "uncool", bulky, hot, restrictive arguments against not wearing a pfd, but technology and mfcs have taken all of those excuses away.

At a minimum people can wear the waist belt model inflatable pfd. Removes all of the above excuses, and is really cool
Since it looks like a fanny pack. laugh

I acknowledge waist belt PFDs require you to be concious so you can pull the inflated pfd over your head.....so if you get knocked out or dazed they don't do a lot of good accept keep you floating for an easier "recovery" of your body.

I bought the waist belt inflatables for Heather and me for paddleboarding, kayaking, etc. I have 3 or so inflatable vest pfds on my boat along with a wide assortment of traditional ski vest and neoprene pfds.

One season I was good about wearing my inflatable pfd at least when I went out solo.....I really should at least get back into that good habit. Being "enclosed" in the surround of my walkaround's helm area doesn't give me the safety risk I feel of falling or getting thrown overboard like in more open boats like side consoles, center consoles, rear tillers, etc.

Be safe out there...there are fish we owe ourselves to be around to catch. wink2
#1766975 - 06/12/19 09:38 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
So all you guys tell me when you are in your boat you wear PFD's, I don't mean Yak but Boat?

Have not worn one in a boat since I was 5 years old.
#1766977 - 06/12/19 10:32 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Yes
#1766978 - 06/12/19 10:51 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
Unless forced like the helmets for Motorcycles, Not me. But then again I'm rarely on a boat less then 50' mostly head boats. Way to bulky etc, in the last 10 years I have been on 3 boats less then 50' so not gonna buy those expensive auto inflate ones. I can see it for those who go out often on those boats smaller then 20'.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics