ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1766985 - 06/12/19 11:50 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
PFDs are most common on freshwater go fast low profile bass boats ("surfboards")....and that definitely makes sense due to their high speed (60-100mph+), extremely low gunnels and poor performance and attitide in a chop, wave, wake, etc.

The bass boats do set a good example (mostly) for the rest of us about wearing PFDs.....plus all boaters WEARING PFDs, and driver being hooked into the kill switch seems to be mandatory in bass tournies....at least in formal tournies.
Fishing Info
#1766986 - 06/12/19 11:55 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: MikeDero]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Originally Posted By: MikeDero
Unless forced like the helmets for Motorcycles, Not me. But then again I'm rarely on a boat less then 50' mostly head boats. Way to bulky etc, in the last 10 years I have been on 3 boats less then 50' so not gonna buy those expensive auto inflate ones. I can see it for those who go out often on those boats smaller then 20'.

"......You can pry my fishing rod from my cold, dead, wet hand!...." laugh .....well after a few days when my bloated corpse resurfaces.
#1766991 - 06/12/19 12:42 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: Don P]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
Originally Posted By: Don P
PFDs are most common on freshwater go fast low profile bass boats ("surfboards")....and that definitely makes sense due to their high speed (60-100mph+), extremely low gunnels and poor performance and attitide in a chop, wave, wake, etc.

The bass boats do set a good example (mostly) for the rest of us about wearing PFDs.....plus all boaters WEARING PFDs, and driver being hooked into the kill switch seems to be mandatory in bass tournies....at least in formal tournies.

Yup Cant tell you the last time I was in a boat in Freshwater 15 years? in the Salt I honestly cant tell you the last time I have seen fisherman wearing PFDS
#1767042 - 06/13/19 04:05 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
The guy in the article was in Galveston Bay...granted, he could have been on a flats boat which wouldn't be different than a bass boat when hit with a passing boat's wake, it doesn't say.
#1767074 - 06/14/19 08:52 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
Ryanls1992 Offline

Loc: Shelton
I run a bass boat, and I make everyone on board wear one while I'm running across the lake. I'm always hooked to the killswitch. It would be bad enough if I killed myself, couldnt deal with killing someone else due to my own mistakes....
#1767077 - 06/14/19 10:36 AM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
Tragic. I could not swim more than few yards even if my life depended on it. I have a 40th anniversary 16.5' Bass Tracker. I religiously put my inflatable suspender type (BassPro Brand) .pdf on before I start the boat. To any of you that don't; try two simple exercises:

First go to your favorite fishing spot and see how far and how long you can stay in the water. I would bet the rent you can cover a lot less distance and stay above water much less than you anticipate. Be sure to write down you distance and time estimate before you try it.

Second, jump into water above your head. Have someone throw you a .pdf and experience what it takes to put the thing on while in the water.

Unless you can compete with Olympic swimmers, this should convince anyone that wearing a .pdf is essential. Do the right thing, if not for yourself, for those you would leave behind.

MikeV
#1767091 - 06/14/19 01:16 PM Re: Sad reminder to always wear your vest fishing [Re: onthewater102]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
Agreed tiny boats should, I don't fish freshwater in boats almost all heads boats with like 4 trips on friends boats in the salt over the course of the last 6 years. Have never seen someone wear a PFD on a head boat. But being a new business owner working 120 hours a week who has time to fish anyway lol (Kidding but wish I did have time to fish)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics