ctfisherman.com logo
Page 40 of 43 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1769235 - 07/23/19 06:29 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Don P]
bonanzaman Offline

Loc: Monroe, CT
You almost need two places to live. I've lived in Florida in the summer and it was hell. I lived in North Texas for 20+ years and it was hell. Most days from the end of June through mid September are in the 90+ range with stretches of 100+.

Now if you take up residency in a tax friendly southern state and have a cheap summer home somewhere up north that would be the best of both worlds.

The summers up north are pretty awesome and the days are long, but the winters are too friggin' long and the days are so short. The winters down south are pretty good, but the summers really suck.

I have much more problems dealing with heat than I do with the cold, but don't like the extremes of either.

"Whine mode off"
Fishing Info
#1769236 - 07/23/19 06:32 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
True bnzmn. I lived outside DC for 2 years and after 10AM in the summer it was brutal to be outside.

I can see keeping my Clinton, CT shore places, and going “South”/warmer for the winter (NC, FL, Costa Rica, Mexico, Spain, etc).
#1769257 - 07/24/19 07:35 AM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: bonanzaman]
Tony Mel Offline

Loc: West Hartford/Delray Beach
Originally Posted By: bonanzaman
You almost need two places to live. I've lived in Florida in the summer and it was hell. I lived in North Texas for 20+ years and it was hell. Most days from the end of June through mid September are in the 90+ range with stretches of 100+.

Now if you take up residency in a tax friendly southern state and have a cheap summer home somewhere up north that would be the best of both worlds.

X haven

Spot on but the options pivot on$$$$$$. CT ‘s combination of scenic beauty, diverse cultural entertainment and access to NYC/Boston/salt is tops. FLs tax haven, warm winters, easy access to salt/fresh, entertainment , cost of living and catering to a senior life style is tops. But got delayed this year from returning in May; first 2 weeks in June were brutal. If you can put up the FL heat over ct cold winters, the FL job market is good ; not as high paying as ct for comparable jobs but on balance good enough. Living the snowbird life style and doesn’t Take big bucks to do it.

If anyone. Is considering the move connect with the Fish’n Magician, Joe Sabas

Edited by Tony Mel (07/24/19 07:47 AM)

Our lakes, rivers and streams are borrowed from our children.

An excess of opinion resides at the juncture of not knowing what you don�t know.
T. Melito

Life is like toilet paper: ur either on a roll or taking crap from some AH
#1769268 - 07/24/19 12:10 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Captbillb Offline

Loc: Grassy Key, Islamorada, Deerfi...
It was two years, last week, that we moved to the Smilin’ Islands,’ the FL Keys. Our home on Grassy Key- just above Marathon, in a neighborhood is filled with USCG personnel from Station Marathon. It has worked in my favor (no boardings). It also has many former northern residents, including an inordinate number from Michigan and other northern Midwest states.

The negatives: summertime heat/humidity- AC 24/7 and the possibility of hurricanes; high insurance rates; SE Miami residents who day trip to the Keys to rape the fragile ocean ecosystem and despoil the shoreline with debris. Mini lobster season (ongoing- 2 days of insanity on the water). Having to drive 75+ miles to reach Florida CityHomestead/Miami and beyond to reach ‘civilization’ including airports and big box stores or to partake of quality medical care. Finally, Pam misses both her family and our son & daughter, and, especially, our 2 year old granddaughter, Vincie. While we fly up to the Northeast on a somewhat regular basis, it’s not nearly enough for Pam.

The positives: gaining over $10,000 a year due to FL’s reasonable taxation rates, i.e. no income tax or excise tax; a reasonable cost of living, waking up each and every day in a paradise where the world comes to vacation. Being surrounded by the ocean where great fishing & boating is a way of life. A wide selection of restaurants & tiki bars, world class sunsets & breath taking scenery are always available. People and laws that favor firearms’ ownership and the real meaning of the 2nd Amendment. A limited number of asshat politicians like Murphy, Blumenthal, and Lamont. Gov. Rob DeSantis has proved to be a man of his word since his inauguration in addressing both environmental concerns and outdoor pursuits. While Marathon has a lot to offer in regard to things to do and see and has come light years from what it was 35 years ago even without any major retailers, Amazon Prime has become a good friend.

Housing is limited to standing dwellings and new construction that must adhere to VERY stringent post IRMA building codes. The price of existing dwellings and new houses is rapidly rising. We have gained over 50K in equity in just two years. For those looking for a place to settle in FL, Sebastian, Melbourne, Port Saint Lucie are still has reasonable real estate while places like Engelwood on the west cost has some great properties.

After spending several years post retirement from education operating my successful charter business out of Watch Hill, and with Pam on the precipice of leaving from her hygienist position (after 40 years), we looked at what CT had become and where it was headed and decided that it was time to leave both for both financial and political factors. In regards to leaving CT, I had intimate knowledge of what we were getting into after nearly 40 years of spending time while in Naval flight trading in the early 70’s and visitations to Islamorada and other Key’s locations due to my passion for fishing and writing opportunities over many years.

All in all, we’re happy to be where we reside although the adage that the grass always seems greener on your neighbors’ lawn sometime applies. Nothing’s perfect but we’re pretty close to it. Eric Abahamson will attest that our location has many positives including the fact that living at MM 57, we live in the heart of the Keys, both Key Largo and Key West are roughly an hour away. Islamorada is 20 minutes away so I often fish out of there or stop by to visit Richard at B N’ M’s or to hit restaurants such as Habanos, The Lorilea, or Lazy Days.

If any CTFer’s get down to the Keys, give me a shout if you’d like to charter for a day’s fishing or to simply grab a bite to eat or a cold libation. That’s a part of Key’s life that I truly enjoy the most.

Edited by Captbillb (07/24/19 12:23 PM)
#1769271 - 07/24/19 12:46 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Sounds great Bill! Glad you and Pam are happy with the move despite missing family and dodging some hurricanes.
#1769276 - 07/24/19 01:42 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Mitch P. Offline

Bill, sounds great. I envision residing in FL eventually.

Secured this a while ago biggrin

http://www.flfisherman.com/

Please keep up with some reports!
#1769295 - 07/25/19 08:55 AM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: DeadBird]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: DeadBird
Originally Posted By: O-BASS
Looking at 2 places in maine next weekend

How far up are you looking?

About 30 min above Old Town.

The issues for us are quite different from what a lot of people are posting about. The general ideas I hear and feedback I get come from a lot of retired people, who I am lucky enough to share time with as well as folks a bit ahead of me on this site. Seems like it is always florida for the reasons posted.

Florida does nothing for me, as my wife pretty much shuts down above 80 degrees. I see some decent fishing reports, but overall it seems a bit too crowded for me. I am thinking of keeping a place in CT, and having a second place in Maine. A permanent move north would be great, but from Nov to April, it's a cold chilly place. I'm not a big fan of winter but Maine is so good when it is not winter...

We are going to look at a house that is, from what I can tell, perfect. The house is an open floor plan with almost 10 acres, private boat launch, and as a mid point geographically in the area it will give access at least 20 water bodies filled with smallmouth bass to the brim. It is almost too good to be true. Unfortunately, 2 mortgages is not something I really can afford, even if the price is perfect. I was planning on buying land and building over 20 years, but this is what I would have built.

I am always very aware, especially in the last 4 years, of how time is more important than money. MOney can be made, or made back; time cannot. A very pressing issue for me is obtaining the few things I want before I hit 125 years old, and then my back might not be good enough to enjoy them.

So ya know what? We will look at this house, and see if its possible. If its too good to pass up, then we WILL find a way. Life is too short not to make plans and then act on them.
#1769316 - 07/25/19 10:38 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Jarhead Offline

Loc: Southwestern CT
I'm the opposite. I love winter sports and spend most of my winter free time bombing down the VT slopes on my snowboard. The only problem with VT is lack of salt/striper season. My retirement plan is two small houses, one in VT and the second.....to be determined. Maybe eastern CT shore, but would appreciate a tax reprieve. Is RI any better?

Lee

Time and Tide Wait for No Man

#sunriseyakkin
#teamchuggalugg
#1769400 - 07/28/19 08:46 AM Re: Mass Migration Out of CT [Re: Dusty]
KWK Offline

Loc: TN
Woohoo,we,re # 10!Best move we ever made.property / homes outside from nashville or knoxville,cheap,we,re in a very rural quiet area.tons of deer,turkey etc.and yes we do shoot them on my own land.everyone does.property tax to cumberland county 3bdrm house 5 acres: 240.00$ a year.80.00$ less than my monthly condo fee in Ct,no Tn income tax either.3 major resevoirs less than a hr drive.utilities 1/3 of ct,winters generally mild ,open water fishing in jan and feb pretty damn good.miss all of y,all but thats it.not looking back ...no regrets.

Edited by KWK (07/28/19 09:29 AM)
#1771144 - 08/29/19 01:30 PM Re: Mass Migration Out of CT [Re: KWK]
Albiemanmike Offline

Loc: South Meriden, CT
Originally Posted By: KWK
Woohoo,we,re # 10!Best move we ever made.property / homes outside from nashville or knoxville,cheap,we,re in a very rural quiet area.tons of deer,turkey etc.and yes we do shoot them on my own land.everyone does.property tax to cumberland county 3bdrm house 5 acres: 240.00$ a year.80.00$ less than my monthly condo fee in Ct,no Tn income tax either.3 major resevoirs less than a hr drive.utilities 1/3 of ct,winters generally mild ,open water fishing in jan and feb pretty damn good.miss all of y,all but thats it.not looking back ...no regrets.

Tennessee does seem to be a very attractive place to re-locate to for sure. I have been keeping my eye on it for a while.

Michael Mayo
"Albiemanmike"
albiemanmike@gmail.com
Page 40 of 43 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics