ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1783649 - 04/18/20 09:22 PM Striped Bass
EnCon Police Offline

I want to thank everyone who has been calling in to our dispatch center with complaints of poachers taking short striped bass along the coastline. We have been flooded with complaints on Long Beach in Stratford as well as Milford with people coming up from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland over the last two weeks taking numerous short striped bass. Today I was with two of my officers at Long Beach in Stratford and seized approximately 30 short striped bass from 3 different groups. Over the last few days we have seized many short striped bass and have donated them to wildlife rehabilitation centers and will be donating to soup kitchens as well. Please keep the calls coming in as they are helping us to monitor hot spots. They are appreciated! Right now we are dedicating a lot of time in our state parks monitoring social distancing but we are trying to do what we can to enforce fishing regulations during this pandemic.
Fishing Info
#1783655 - 04/18/20 10:50 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
Tall 1 Offline

Thank you!
#1783671 - 04/19/20 08:15 AM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
Great job with your limited resources. applause excellent idea for the wildlife rehab places.

New House 5/18
#1783674 - 04/19/20 08:53 AM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
swwind Offline

Well Done Capt Williams and CTDEEP applause

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Please keep the calls coming in as they are helping us to monitor hot spots.
thumbsup

Edited by swwind (04/19/20 08:55 AM)

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1783675 - 04/19/20 09:06 AM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Great job!

What kind of penalties are these poachers getting? Ticket to pay?...court date?...something else?

In the past it seemed like you guys do you part in the field, but things get dismissed in court, or knocked way down that seems like merely a slap on the wrist. That’s tough for us to read about, and I would imagine discouraging amongst the field officers.

Thanks again
#1783676 - 04/19/20 09:11 AM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
LargeFry Offline

The V.P.

Loc: Chester
Job well done, THANK YOU!
#1783728 - 04/20/20 10:00 AM Re: Striped Bass [Re: Don P]
EnCon Police Offline

So right now we have the option of issuing a misdemeanor summons. Due to the Corona virus, the courts are only dealing with very serious crimes where people are being taken into custody for domestic violence issues, homicides etc. so we have to push the court date on our charges to late June, early July and hope the pandemic ends by then. This is happening with all police departments. If they don't have a fishing license we can issue and infraction of which they have the decision to either pay or challenge in court which is good for us because the courts are closed right now. If they pay it is an automatic guilty plea and they could have their license suspended. If they don't and refuse to challenge it in court, a warrant is issued for their arrest. When we find them, they not only have to pay the fine, but also appear in court on a misdemeanor summons for failure to appear, pay or plead not guilty. This way, the state receives something instead of a possible nolle. We are in the process of changing our enforcement measures for striped bass from a misdemeanor summons to an infraction for this very reason.
#1783740 - 04/20/20 11:12 AM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
montauk17 Offline

You may also want to check Old Route 9 in Higganum and Haddam Meadows. There were upwards of 20-30 people fishing from the river bank parked along the road and inside the park. Always a hot spot there!
Thx
#1783751 - 04/20/20 01:37 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
Don P Offline

So right now we have the option of issuing a misdemeanor summons. Due to the Corona virus, the courts are only dealing with very serious crimes where people are being taken into custody for domestic violence issues, homicides etc. so we have to push the court date on our charges to late June, early July and hope the pandemic ends by then. This is happening with all police departments. If they don't have a fishing license we can issue and infraction of which they have the decision to either pay or challenge in court which is good for us because the courts are closed right now. If they pay it is an automatic guilty plea and they could have their license suspended. If they don't and refuse to challenge it in court, a warrant is issued for their arrest. When we find them, they not only have to pay the fine, but also appear in court on a misdemeanor summons for failure to appear, pay or plead not guilty. This way, the state receives something instead of a possible nolle. We are in the process of changing our enforcement measures for striped bass from a misdemeanor summons to an infraction for this very reason.

Appreciate the response & field officers’ efforts.....so it basically sounds like poachers get zero penalty. They don’t care if they have a license or not, so taking away their license does nothing. Stiffer Money Out of Pocket penalties (and/or jail time which is unheard of and will never happen) is the ONLY way to get poachers to stop poaching. Even IF CT had stiffer monetary penalties, CT needs many more Field Officers to enforce the stiffer fees.

Again, it’s tough for us to read about, and I’m sure tough on Field Officers to see hardly a slap on the wrist for offenders.

DEEP Management need to state their case for stiffer penalties, and more officers. That’s their job, and they have yet to do it in CT. I agree their hands are awfully tied, but that’s their job. They need to find ways to make it work, or step aside for others to rise up in DEEP management with the skills to convince others it needs to be done.

Poachers are laughing to and from poached fish and game every day in CT. Even IF they get caught (very unlikely due to not enough Field Officers), the cases get thrown out of court (most likely) or result in very weak “penalties.” Stiffer Money Out of Pocket penalties, and more Field Officers are the only answers to reducing poachers.
#1783792 - 04/20/20 06:13 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
PeteB Offline

Capt. How is that change in legislation coming ? I know its a slow process. Is there any opposition ? Anyone we can call to help it along ?

Keep up the good work !
#1783812 - 04/20/20 09:22 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
O-BASS Offline

Confiscation of gear at the time of offense should be MANDATORY.
#1783814 - 04/20/20 09:26 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
O-BASS Offline

Also, there is a mention of targeted herring fishing with sabiki rigs around Bristol bridge among the shad guys. Thanks for the hard work officers!

Edited by O-BASS (04/20/20 09:26 PM)
#1783864 - 04/21/20 12:10 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: O-BASS]
Don P Offline

Originally Posted By: O-BASS
Confiscation of gear at the time of offense should be MANDATORY.

That’s how Canada does it, and it’s effective! If you’re in a boat poaching, fishing without a license, etc....they’ll confiscate your boat, tackle, rods/reels, and if you launched from Canada they’ll confiscate your trailer and tow vehicle! If you want any of it back you have to buy it back at a public auction!
#1783911 - 04/21/20 05:23 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
O-BASS Offline

ACANADA-ICA!!!!
#1784074 - 04/23/20 04:45 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: PeteB]
EnCon Police Offline

I am hearing that once we all get back on our feet again and the legislative sessions begin, it is supposed to pass. When that will happen I am not sure. You can always contact your state representative and push the issue. It is definitely appreciated!
#1784175 - 04/24/20 06:19 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

After you issue the misdemeanor and the no license infraction could you also put all their fish gear in front of your vehicle and then run it over as you leave. smile1

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#1784181 - 04/24/20 07:14 PM Re: Striped Bass [Re: EnCon Police]
PeteB Offline

I am hearing that once we all get back on our feet again and the legislative sessions begin, it is supposed to pass. When that will happen I am not sure. You can always contact your state representative and push the issue. It is definitely appreciated!

Do you have a Public Act # or Statute # we can reference?

Thanks !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics