ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1783513 - 04/17/20 11:06 AM Trout limit??
duckhuntingfreak Offline

Loc: middletown
Just a question I’ve been thinking about! If I fish the Naugatuck river and catch my two trout limit, then go to the farminton River, can I keep two from there also? Should I take a picture of the fish near a landmark with a timestamp?? Just wondering cuz I work In Waterbury and fish up the naugy a lot and sometimes I do go over to the farmy!! Thanks for any input! I just don’t want any hassle! Especially for two trout!
Fishing Info
#1783543 - 04/17/20 04:01 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
I heard before a CO when they instilled those regs that if you catch a daily limit of fish in one body of water you are done for the day for that species of fish and also, you cannot fish 9pm to 3am and keep 2 daily limits either.

Edited by danny k (04/17/20 04:02 PM)

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
#1783549 - 04/17/20 05:11 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
If planning to keep trout, I start at a 2 trout limit site first, then take the next three in 5 trout limit waters. It is a very interesting question, can you catch two trout in two completely separate two trout limit sites and still be under the general state wide trout limit? Need a definitive DEEP ruling on this. I never go to a 2 trout site with trout in the car, the potential for mis-interpretation is too great.
#1783583 - 04/18/20 08:54 AM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
OldSchool Offline

It’s best to always fish and hunt with a lawyer present or at least connected to an online legal website

And they wonder why kids are not taking up hunting and fishing

Regulations used to be so less complicated and EVERY boy I new in grade school and almost everyone in high school fished

I've read the Bible...Jesus wins.
#1783613 - 04/18/20 01:32 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
Bob Bradley Online   content

So wait, its not 5 trout any more? I guess I haven't fished fresh water in a while.

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
#1783621 - 04/18/20 02:59 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: Bob Bradley]
Mark S. Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Bradley
So wait, its not 5 trout any more? I guess I haven't fished fresh water in a while.

ummmm...yea-uhh..wipe the bottom paint dust off your glasses and read the regs..it's spelled out clear as day..DEEP amendment 34A-24d, section 26.89b, paragraph 36-42c , article 27-347.....good grief facepalm

(a little humor here that's all biggrin )
#1783647 - 04/18/20 09:09 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
EnCon Police Offline

Hopefully this doesn't confuse you more than you already are. The state limit for trout is 5 per day. So, if you are fishing for example in a wild trout management or TMA area where the limit is two trout and keep two trout, you can then go to a non-trout management area or a TMA that has a daily creel limit of five trout and catch three more for a total daily limit of five.

You could not go to another wild trout management or TMA area and catch two more trout as usually (see Class 3 below) WTMA's and TMA's are two trout per day. Hence you would be over the limit in a WTMA for the day while still not over the total state limit. If you only catch one trout in a WTMA/TMA (with a two trout limit) you could go to another WTMA/TMA (with a two trout limit) and catch only one more trout. Then you are done for the day fishing in a WTMA/TMA with a two trout limit as you have limited out at two fish.

Basically, you can't limit out in a WTMA/TMA with a two trout limit and then go to a non-WTMA/TMA or TMA that has a five trout limit and catch five more. Now to mess with you even more, look at the TMA listings below. There are Wild Trout Management Areas listed as Class 3 where you can keep up to five trout. If you take five trout here you are done for the day as you have reached your state limit. Hope this helps you out.

Trout Management Areas (TMA): High quality fisheries offering year-round opportunities.
Trout Parks: Easy to fish, frequently stocked areas.
Trophy Trout Streams: Stocked with a higher proportion of larger fish.
Sea-run Trout Streams: Areas where DEEP is working to establish populations of anadromous brown trout.
Wild Trout Management Areas (WTMA): There are three classes of WTMAs:
Class 1: Catch and release only, open year-round, use of barbless single-hook artificial lures and barbless single-hook flies only.
Class 2: Two (2) trout per angler per day limit, trout must be 12” or larger to keep from opening day to last day of February.
Class 3: Five (5) fish per angler per day limit, trout must be 9” or larger to keep from opening day to last day of February.

Trout
(Brook, Brown, Rainbow, Tiger &
other hybrids)

Trout & salmon stamp may be needed.

Angling, Icefishing

Lakes & Ponds, Rivers & Streams

2nd Saturday in April – last day in February

No minimum length

State Limit - 5

Lower Rivers/
Tidal Waters

Open year-round*

15″

State Limit - 2
#1783652 - 04/18/20 10:07 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
Bob Bradley Online   content

Well, thank you. I guess its a bit of a moot point, as I'm pretty much a c&r fly fisherman when I do venture on to a trout stream. I appreciate the clarification however. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
#1784657 - 04/28/20 06:58 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
duckhuntingfreak Offline

Loc: middletown
It's getting worse then duck hunting!!
#1784758 - 04/29/20 05:49 PM Re: Trout limit?? [Re: duckhuntingfreak]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
It's very simple. Buy a trout stamp and release all your fish. Then you can fish all day any where you please.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics