ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1784972 - 05/01/20 06:58 PM Squantz Pond state park boat launch area
Buck Offline

The walking people have invaded the Squantz Pond boat launch area and parking lot. They come to walk in the park and walk their dogs taking up literally all of the parking spots that are there for boaters and fishermen (there is a fishing pier attached to the boat launch parking area). State regulations state that others are to use other parking areas and at Squantz Pond state park there are huge grass parking areas that can hold hundreds of cars but the gate is closed and there is no access to this parking area.
The only entrance allows vehicles to get into the boat launch area and no further. So why isn't the gate open? This has to be the worst managed park in the system. I am a New Fairfield municipal official from my committee work at Ball Pond. That lot is getting crowded too from all of the walkers.
Please instruct your resident manager to open the gate to the main parking area so the boaters and fishermen have a spot to park.
Fishing Info
#1785067 - 05/03/20 11:27 AM Re: Squantz Pond state park boat launch area [Re: Buck]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
Isn’t parking at a boat launch limited to launching, boat loading, fishing or watching wildlife from a designated area per Ct regs? So why do they let walkers park there?
#1785127 - 05/04/20 10:33 AM Re: Squantz Pond state park boat launch area [Re: Buck]
Buck Offline

Yes, those are the rules for boat launches. The Park management would be in a position to enforce the rules if there were parking options available for the dog walkers and exercise walkers up in the fields but all spring the gate has closed off those parking areas and the Park Ranger may not even live at Squantz Pond State Park anymore. It is just mis-managed.
That said, I took a ride over there yesterday afternoon and the gate is now open and new directions specify that the boat launch area is for boat launching and the open gate leads to the fields for all other parking. There are signs and fences to direct each type of traffic. It is the best solution that I have seen in ten years of problems with weekend NYC traffic into the park which used to block the rural narrow road up to the old main entrance which caused the Town of New Fairfield to request a new main entrance which was poorly designed to be at the boat launch entrance. The new main entrance should have been designed up at the old main entrance by moving the entrance booth back a hundred yards into the Park and redirecting any incoming traffic to the right into the fields for Ct. registered vehicles and straight ahead to the booth to pay for non-Ct. registered vehicles. Then on weekends when the NYC crowd comes to Squantz they could man the booth for both days and collect fees and the rest of the time leave it open and un-manned and just waive the fee. That is how I would have designed it. We loose a certain part of the boat launch parking to these new fences which are right in the parking lot.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics