ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1792920 - 08/07/20 09:22 AM Left handed reel
Major Woods Offline

Does anyone use a left hand, level wind reel for bottom fishing?
Fishing Info
#1792921 - 08/07/20 09:42 AM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Curious what people use too. I need to get Heather one.
#1792988 - 08/08/20 05:17 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
tommy Offline

Loc: Danbury
If you are right handed you should have more control holding the fish pole in your left hand and visa versa. I have more power pulling in a fish with my dominant arm.

I always hold a spinning rod in my right hand and used to hold a casting rod the same way but I tore a tendon just below my left elbow and couldn't hold the pole in that hand but I could still reel with it so at my next tourny I used a left hand casting reel and have never gone back.
It might take a trip or two to get used to it but I'm very comfortable with a left hand casting reel.

Now this, I usually use a right hand casting reel when fishing out of my salt boat so go figure. LOL.
#1793010 - 08/09/20 05:12 AM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Four Ten Offline

Wife and I are both left handed, I prefer right hand conventional reels and spinning reels set up lefty. She is lefty all the way, bottom fish with Shimano Calcutta 401D with power handle and Shimano Tranx both great level line reels.

.....Possessing more tackle than talent !!!
#1793029 - 08/09/20 05:51 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Sickday Offline

I use Avet SXJ and MC cast. I don't like level winds. If they birds nest just more stuff in the way. I can cast both.
#1793038 - 08/09/20 08:07 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Mycept Offline

I’m a moron and never know what people mean when they say left handed reel or right.

I’ve always reeled spinning reels with my left hand and conventional reels with my right.

I’m right handed
#1793085 - 08/10/20 03:05 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Unless you are cranking in Wicked Tuna - I don't get the Right hand crank concept for right handed people.
I have zero right hand crank reels. And I'm right handed. I've been chasing lefty conventionals my whole life. And I'm a firm believer that everyone else is doing it wrong. rolleyes

Watching bass pros cast and then switch the rod to the other hand makes me crazy crazy

I have and/or had several conventional lefties but only one level winds so far - a Penn Fantom. I have no complaints.

I did have a ABU Garcia 6501 - HATED IT. - No power.

Be careful ordering, they are available in many configurations.

MODEL # FTHII20LWLH

https://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-c...59.html#start=2 https://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-c...59.html#start=2

Penn might also have more
Squall - MODEL # SQL20LWLH

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#1793089 - 08/10/20 03:12 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
I use “right handed” reels for conventional holding the rod with my left and cranking with my right (really doesn’t make sense as stated holding the rod with your non-dominant hand).

“Right handed” spinning reels I crank with my left and hold the rod with my dominant right hand (makes more sense).....but then again why are conventional and spinning reels different while still both “right handed”?
#1793090 - 08/10/20 03:13 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Major Woods]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Cuz its dumb

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#1793093 - 08/10/20 04:14 PM Re: Left handed reel [Re: Jighead]
JLMOS Offline

Loc: Meriden,CT.
Originally Posted By: Jighead

Watching bass pros cast and then switch the rod to the other hand makes me crazy crazy

Well for what it's worth, back when I was in my LMB fishing days. I thought about that whole thing also. So I bought a left hand baitcasting reel for an extra pole I had in believing that it would work. On paper it does, but when in actual use it does not.

Now that I think about it, perhaps when you use a spinning setup in your right hand & crank with your left hand because of the reel being "under" the pole vs. a baitcaster setup the reel is "above'" the pole? That kinda makes sense. But in any event it didn't work the way I thought it would, so I gave the left handed baitcaser setup to my wife who is left handed & she likes the setup.

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Active Topics