ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1795363 - 09/10/20 09:46 PM Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking
Mitch P. Offline

There is a chance we'll get lake trout stocked in CT ...

Below are expected fall trout stocking numbers. Tiger trout stocking locations will not be revealed by CT DEEP.

Fishing Info
#1795383 - 09/10/20 11:05 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
JLMOS Offline

Loc: Meriden,CT.
That would be SAAWEEETT!!!

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money
#1795384 - 09/11/20 02:46 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
Why not put the effort and dollars back into the seeforellen browns?
#1795407 - 09/11/20 09:56 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

They should put the lake trout in waters that will support them all year like Wono or Saltonstall.
#1795422 - 09/11/20 01:43 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Buck]
Jaffs Offline

I agree that they should be placed in lakes where they stand a decent shot at survival. However, I'm not sure such a public body of water exists in the state anymore? They were once in Wono. - (see 29 pound state record from 1918) but deep water oxygen levels no longer support them there. Outside of some large off limits water supply reservoirs I don't know where they would survive the summer. Ironically enough, one mile over the boarder from Greenwich the Kensico Reservoir in NY provides an outstanding lake trout fishery.
#1795431 - 09/11/20 04:51 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Buck]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
Originally Posted By: Buck
They should put the lake trout in waters that will support them all year like Wono or Saltonstall.

Does Saltonstall have enough oxygen? Never hear of any big trout coming out of there?

New House 5/18
#1795493 - 09/13/20 06:21 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
nimmer Online   content

Loc: Vernon, Ct
Any schedule when/where/quantities fall trout stocking will take place?

Papanimmer
#1796397 - 09/25/20 05:04 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Fall trout stocking details:

Attachments
2020 Fall Trout Stocking Rpt 09-25-2020.pdf (196 downloads)

#1798779 - 10/19/20 07:08 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

#1798781 - 10/19/20 07:17 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

#1798826 - 10/20/20 12:29 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Sebecsalmon Offline

Loc: Bolton Ct
lakers are the last fish they should stock in CT waters. I will take a big fat brook trout or Brown over a greasy loagy laker. Yuk !
#1798853 - 10/20/20 07:11 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
West Branch Reservoir (Hogsback)for the lakers.
Why not try to create a second record from the lake???
#1801175 - 11/17/20 08:11 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Latest fall stocking info:

Attachments
CurrentStockingReport 11-04-2020.pdf (12 downloads)

#1801176 - 11/17/20 08:13 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Reminder on ATLANTIC SALMON FISHING REGULATIONS AND AREAS SUMMARY

Regulations for Atlantic salmon on the Shetucket and Naugatuck Rivers. In the Naugatuck, Housatonic and Shetucket Rivers, from September 1 through December 15, angling for Atlantic salmon is restricted to catch-and-release only. From December 16, 2020, through March 31, 2021, the daily creel limit for Atlantic salmon will be one. During the open season in the rivers, the legal method for taking Atlantic salmon is limited to angling using a single fly, or an artificial lure with a single free swinging hook and no additional weight can be added to the line above the fly or lure. Also, from September 1st through March 31st, fishing for other species in the designated Atlantic Salmon “Broodstock Areas” is restricted to the gear legal for Atlantic salmon.

On the Shetucket River, anglers can fish for salmon downstream from the Scotland Dam (Windham) to the Water Street Bridge in Norwich (the first bridge upstream of Norwich Harbor). The salmon are stocked into one designated Atlantic Salmon “Broodstock Area”, from the Scotland Dam to the Occum Dam.

Anglers are allowed to fish for salmon in the Naugatuck River from the confluence of the East and West Branches (Torrington) downstream to the Housatonic River (Derby). Anglers may also fish for Atlantic salmon in the Housatonic River downstream of Derby Dam. The salmon are typically stocked into two designated Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Areas on the Naugatuck River, the “Campville Section” of the upper Naugatuck River from Route 118 downstream to the Thomaston Flood Control Dam (Litchfield-Thomaston) and the “Beacon Falls Section” of the lower Naugatuck, from Prospect Street (Naugatuck) downstream to Pines Bridge Road (Route 42 bridge, Beacon Falls). From September 1st through March 31st, fishing for other species in these designated Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Areas is restricted to the gear legal for Atlantic salmon.

The regulations for Atlantic salmon released into lakes and ponds are different from the regulations for salmon on the Naugatuck and Shetucket Rivers. In each lake, the regulations for methods, seasons and minimum lengths for salmon will be the same as for trout in that specific water body but the daily creel limit will be one salmon per day. (Please refer to the 2020 CT Angler’s Guide for trout regulations).
#1801615 - 11/23/20 11:44 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

From DEEP on Friday:

Quote:
Good afternoon,

I hope everything is well. FYI: A news release will be coming out next week with more information, but we’re letting folks know now that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) had reached out to the Connecticut Fisheries Division to see if we would want to make 490 Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush) available to our anglers as a bonus fishery this fall. These Fish are from USFWS Berkshire National Fish Hatchery (New Marlborough, MA) where Lake Trout are raised for restoration efforts in the Lower Great Lakes. We said “yes” and so we did a one-time stocking of 490 Lake Trout this week. These fish average about 5.3 lbs per fish, and were stocked into Winchester Lake, Coventry Lake, Tyler Lake, Squantz Pond, and Bigelow Pond. These stockings are intended to provide a short-term specialty fishery and there’s no expectation that these fish will holdover for an extended period of time (years) or that they will reproduce.

The daily limit is five fish per day, BUT to help spread the catch out among as many people as possible, please only take the fish one will immediately use.

If you go out to fish for a Lake Trout in CT, we want to hear how your fishing is going, both successful and skunked. Please fill out this very short form https://arcg.is/CzOHr after each fishing trip. We will not share your information with anyone; it will help us to evaluate this bonus fishery. Please remember we need to hear about each fishing trip, no matter the duration or success! From all of the completed surveys, we will randomly pick five folks to receive a free copy of the “Pictorial Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of CT” or “A Fisheries Guide to the Lakes and Ponds of CT”- you choose!

More information will be out next week. Have a good weekend!
#1801622 - 11/23/20 12:04 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
But why the heck would they put those great lakes lakers into winchester lake???? I guess they absolutely don't want them to live at all. They should of just put them in little tiny ponds then. Well, Maybe Connecticut can send Michigan 490 striped bass. I guess they might interfere with our Arctic Grayling reintroduction that's never going to work. Kind of like the Atlantic Salmon reintroduction that didn't work in the CT River but ended up working Phenomenal in Lake Huron and Thunder Bay River.
Just so you know, this what they look like!!!

Edited by danny k (11/23/20 12:25 PM)

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
#1801624 - 11/23/20 12:24 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
I’m ALL IN for a CTF Icefishing Lake Trout & Pike GATHERING on Winchester Lake.....yea, you heard me “GATHERING”

It doesn’t get much safer in a pandemic as icefishing. thumbsup
#1801626 - 11/23/20 12:33 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Don P]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Safe like this! Because this is what's going to happen this winter!!!

Edited by danny k (11/23/20 12:34 PM)

#1801627 - 11/23/20 12:41 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
JLMOS Offline

I have to agree with DannyK on this one.

Why Winchester Lake? Did the stocking truck breakdown in front of Winchester Lake while on it's way to Colebrook Res. and they figured, ah let's just dump them in here, the truck won't be moving any time soon.

Makes no sense to put them in Winchester Lake.

I was...

"I want to go back
And do it all over
#1801628 - 11/23/20 12:43 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
Interesting stocking locations.....

New House 5/18
#1801629 - 11/23/20 12:47 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

As Danny pointed out, these lakes won't support lake trout past the end of next June. Which is what the DEEP wants.
Otherwise, put some in Wono and some in Saltonstall and see what happens.
#1801630 - 11/23/20 12:48 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Winchester Lake is pretty sizable too. They could have put all of them in there and maybe 30 of them would of been caught. They wont survive Winchester past the third week of May they cant take over 55 degree water. They love 42-48 degree water though! If you want to catch these fish, Use a white/chartruese 1/4oz bucktail spro jig tipped with berkley gulp just like for fluke. Same size too!!! That's what I use and it works very well. They don't like shiners for whatever reason very much but will eat a 6inch sucker!!

Edited by danny k (11/23/20 01:02 PM)

#1801692 - 11/23/20 10:16 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
JLMOS Offline

Squantz Pond on the other hand, may just be an overall good choice.

There is a DEFINATE AMOUNT OF ALEWIVES to sustain the Lake Trout & everything else that eats them, that is if the Lake Trout would/do eat them?
I know in MooseHead Lake up in Maine the Lake Trout or "Togue" & Landlocked Salmon primarily feed on smelt.

In my earlier post about the stocking truck breaking down in front of Winchester Lake on the way to Colebrook Res.,(not meaning that that was what actually happened, but years ago a stocking truck did in fact crap out on RTE 691 right in front of Black Pond in Meriden & they emptied the entire truck load of stocking trout into Black Pond.) perhaps it was going to Highland Lake with them which would make more sense. I think the Lake Trout would do very well in Highland Lake, or even West Hill Pond or the Twin Lakes too for that matter.

In any event, being able to target Lake Trout in CT. for however long it may last, is something to look forward to I think.

And as Buck stated, had they released a good majority of them into Lake Saltonstall... that would be phenomenal to say the least. Plus all of us who have been chasing the "Ghost Fish" in "The Trench" there would have more questions to try and solve. wink2

Now I have something to look forward to in 2021, that is if I'll be able to get out after them?

I was...

"I want to go back
And do it all over
#1801695 - 11/23/20 10:34 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Buck]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: Buck
As Danny pointed out, these lakes won't support lake trout past the end of next June. Which is what the DEEP wants.
Otherwise, put some in Wono and some in Saltonstall and see what happens.

what kind of organization pisses away money on something that has zero perpetuating return on the investment like this, and why would they WANT this George?

Saltonstall and other deeper lakes would have not been open to fishing now- that part I understand as to why they would not stock here. But why even do this? Its not even like youll have a shot at most of these fish between now and july. Then they belly up.

Couldnt we have invested that cash into ANYTHING else that would pay dividends for the future? bluegills, crappies, any self sustaining fish at all like catfish or perch. Even a baitfish program to increase food for whats in there. Who are these people that make the decisions, and have they ever been to winchester, which is a flooded timberfield with stumps everywhere? the OPPOSITE of lake trout water.

Dumb. Head up our asses dumb, with no thought for down the line.

Put and take fisheries should be easy access. Its a lowe unit ass whoopin fishing winchester. Good luck trolling one up there!
#1801696 - 11/23/20 10:36 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
O-BASS Offline

we could have purchased 500$ worth of bluegills or pond shiners and built a fishery from the bottom up. Instead of dumping catfish in a pond with no food in it, or stocking walleye into a lake with an advisory against eating ANYTHING like Lake Zoar. Dumb stupid dumb. am I missing something here?
#1801697 - 11/23/20 10:44 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
JLMOS Offline

You made some good points Mike.

However; "IF" the state actually wanted to try to re-establish a Lake Trout population in CT, Lake Saltonstall would be an ideal place. I myself don't know much about
Lake Wono other than it did have a Lake Trout population a very,very long time ago.

Another place that would be an ideal location would be the Saugatuck Res., other than the very limited fishing access points there. But I'd bet my bottom dollar that if they were to stock the Saugatuck Res. with them, that my friend would be where the new state record Lake Trout would come from.

I was...

"I want to go back
And do it all over
#1801698 - 11/23/20 10:50 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Don P]
JLMOS Offline

Originally Posted By: Don P
I’m ALL IN for a CTF Icefishing Lake Trout & Pike GATHERING on Winchester Lake.....yea, you heard me “GATHERING”

You might be onto something there Don.

I know for a fact that smoked Lake Trout are fantdiddlyastic (that's a Ned Flanders term.) eating wise!!! wink2

P.S. In case anybody doesn't know who "Ned Flanders" is...

I was...

"I want to go back
And do it all over
#1801699 - 11/23/20 11:02 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Don P Offline

It (Winchester or any shallow lake) doesn’t make sense to me either, but it’s over and done now. We can complain, or we can fish. I choose to FISH! smile1

It’s almost as if it would have been better to just truck the 490 5.3# Lake Trout to CT Soup Kitchens to get use out of every one of them for the masses......vs a shot at catching a few before they go belly up due to warm water temps.

Go Get’M CTFers!!!
#1801700 - 11/23/20 11:12 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
JLMOS Offline

Perhaps it'd be worth putting a boat in the water now instead of waiting for any ice?

The fish may still be swimming around in a school, which may increase the odds of catching any. I've seen this at Black Pond all the time back when I used to fish there a lot years ago, the fresh stocked trout would school around for about 2 weeks then start to disperse.

Just might be something to think about folks...

I was...

"I want to go back
And do it all over
#1801900 - 11/25/20 05:30 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

From CT DEEP:

Quote:
Good afternoon,

I hope everything is well. As I promised last Friday, attached is a PDF versions of a press release issued on Tuesday, 11/23/2020, about our stocking of 490 Lake Trout last week into Winchester Lake, Coventry Lake, Tyler Lake, Squantz Pond, and Bigelow Pond.

The daily limit is five fish per day, BUT to help spread the catch out among as many people as possible, please only take the fish one will immediately use. If you go out to fish for a Lake Trout in CT, we want to hear how your fishing is going, both successful and skunked. Please fill out this very short form https://arcg.is/CzOHr after each fishing trip. We will not share your information with anyone; it will help us to evaluate this bonus fishery. Please remember we need to hear about each fishing trip, no matter the duration or success! From all of the completed surveys, we will randomly pick five folks to receive a free copy of the “Pictorial Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of CT” or “A Fisheries Guide to the Lakes and Ponds of CT”- you choose!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments
DEEP news release 11-23-2020 bonus fishery - Lake Trout.pdf (4 downloads)

#1801922 - 11/25/20 08:18 PM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Don P]
Bob Fishin Offline

Loc: Meriden, CT
Originally Posted By: Don P

Hey I'm in, just need the Ice. I was thinking the same thing when I read the
stocking info.
I'm sure Scott would be in also. I was hoping to fish Winchester more this year anyway.
#1816353 - 06/19/21 05:58 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Don P Offline

So, have the Lake Trout died in most of the CT shallow water warm water lakes they were stocked in?

I really haven’t heard of many Lakers caught since the stocking. I heard of ONE landed at Bigelow Hollow in Stafford Springs while a guy was jigging on a day I icefished it. Believe it was 26” or so. I didn’t see it. A guy leaving for the day walked by me dragging a sled and said he saw it landed.

Anyone else hear of any Lakers landed in CT?

Anyone hear if they’re dying as the water warms up?
#1816357 - 06/19/21 07:48 AM Re: Lake trout stocking in CT + fall trout stocking [Re: Mitch P.]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
Probably all dead by now. Did hear of a couple caught in Tyler through the ice.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics