ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1796067 - 09/22/20 10:43 AM Highland Lake deep drawdown
JBear Offline

Loc: Wallingford
I was told The Highland Lake draw down this year will be a deep drawn down, up to 8 feet, starting on October 1st.

Does anyone have experience to know, if they start on October 1st, will the launch still be usable on October 4th? The state gave my club a permit for the 4th before this was announced. Don't want to go there on the 4th and find out it's unlaunchable.

Mitch, I hope I put this in the right Forum.

Thanks.
Fishing Info
#1796077 - 09/22/20 11:49 AM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
Should be fine
#1796158 - 09/23/20 07:59 AM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: trout tracker]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
#1796162 - 09/23/20 08:09 AM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
Mycept Offline

It will depend on the drawdown schedule and that should be part of the permit application so someone should be able to answer either from the state or the town
#1796171 - 09/23/20 10:38 AM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
O-BASS Offline

What possible effect could drawing a lake down have in terms of controlling an algae bloom that is caused by septic and fertilizer run off in the summer?

To my knowledge that isnt why they have done it at all. They do it for shore perimeter weed control and to allow homeowners to work on docks, walls, etc. The summer is over and with it the cottage and seasonal increase in septic flow drops sharply (assuming). Nutrient levels fall, cyanobacteria blooms end. I've not seen one myself after mid September.

Am I missing something here, or is everything I read including even the non angled run of the mill articles stating just every day ongoings totally off the mark now?

The homeowners dont like the weeds, so they draw it down. They aren't doing it cause of killer algae!

Fix your septics, or destagnate the lake. For crying out loud, EVERYTHING is #*&!.
#1796174 - 09/23/20 12:09 PM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
JBear Offline

The reply with the article concerning the draw down was helpful, especially the part about 2 to 3 inches a day. The Algae control part may or may not be valid. I'm not a scientist, so I can't comment one way or the other. I know a deep draw down will have an effect on the submergent grasses, but I don't know about algae. In any case that was irrelevant to my query, anyway.

I was hoping that maybe someone who lives near the lake and fishes it often, could give some insight about whether or not the lake will be launchable with a 20 foot bass boat on October 4th. If the lake is truly down 2 feet already because of the drought, it could be down almost three feet at end of day on the 4th.

I need to know before next week so I can get a permit for another lake if Highland will be unlaunchable.

Thanks.
#1796176 - 09/23/20 01:40 PM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
O-BASS Offline

My apologies.

I live locally. In years past there hasnt been an issue with lowering the lake and boats still getting in, based on several site members reports throughout October and November. The CTF snowball open usually occurs in early November so the ramp for your tourny should be fine.

You should have no issues launching a 20 footer. Jon Pski does all the time in Oct and nov. I've never had an issue either.
#1796251 - 09/24/20 09:53 AM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
JBear Offline

Thanks O-BASS.
#1797103 - 10/01/20 05:17 PM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
The big rains the other day brought the lake up to full pool. The gates were opened today, Oct 01 but it doesn't seem like they are "full" open. Nonetheless you will have no issue launching this weekend.

The Blue-Green Algae is story is nonsense. Algae was bad in the spring for a few weeks but no sign of the blue green. Our Mayor, (a lake resident) tends to over dramatize sometimes.
#1797161 - 10/02/20 09:43 AM Re: Highland Lake deep drawdown [Re: JBear]
Buck Offline

We never had it at all on Ball Pond, we do water testing multiple times during the spring through the fall. I think that Highland Lake probably has better water quality than Ball Pond too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Active Topics