ctfisherman.com logo
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1814578 - 05/25/21 03:04 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
Thanks for the update. I am glad to see you enjoying the last few shad of the run. Its funny how there are a few that hang around like a bad smell, way after you would expect them gone. I guess I will leave a shad set up in the boat for at least another week.

I plan to target underutilized species this year because if few people are chasing them, they should be easier to catch. Last year, When I launched at Barber Street(under 291) I focused exclusively on small mouth which is fine when they are hitting. On almost every trip, I saw "double digit" cats and carp that looked like bronze beer kegs with fins. I am not a fish snob, and even if I was, catching "double digit" cats and huge carp on light gear has to be a hoot. Do you or your buddies chase cats and carp? Any plans to? Bill Lanese (Sinker Bill) is supposed to show me the ropes soon. I will report results as they happen.

Tight Lines

MikeV
Fishing Info
#1814586 - 05/25/21 06:24 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: MikeV]
ecurB Offline

Can you eat that ?

Those big cats and carp fight great . Another thing I like is that it's not such a problem if you break them off . This allows you to scale down your tackle and have some real fun with them . Also they'll usually hit in the dead of summer heat .

Fresh chunk , live or fresh dead sunfish for the cats and "corn bombs" for carp has always done well for me . I chum heavily for carp .

"Politically correct" was initially coined by Leon Trotsky to refer favorably to those whose views remained in sync with the ever-shifting Bolshevik Party line. This was important, as "not PC" people risked prison or death.
#1814591 - 05/25/21 07:42 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: MikeV]
No Fish Today Offline

Hi MikeV,
I don't know if any of them chase cats or carp, I've never heard them talk about targeting them. Bronze-backs, crappie, trout, and some salt species have come up in conversation, though.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
#1814674 - 05/26/21 08:01 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

26.May, 4:20-6:10 pm, Rocky Hill. The water was flowing, and getting thick with cotton. The wind was screaming up from Middletown, making casting challenging, and the water very choppy. We got our sea-legs on the pitching docks. Three regulars were working the docks when I got there, and we were joined by two more a little later.

By the time I left, only three shad were caught. I got the stinky kitty. skunk No fish today.

Terminal tackle: 1 oz drail over 3.5' 8# flouro leader, hammered silver willows in blue/chartreuse w/black dot, and one in white w/red & green dots & a black line (Bill's "stop light" pattern).

All in all the cotton is manageable, even if the shad are few and far between. The ones we are getting tend to be roes, and fight out of their weight class. One of the regulars reported that Dan at Hale's shad shack had netted 80 shad last night, so the chance is still there. And so I'll be out again tomorrow for a chance at whatever shad are left. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1814764 - 05/27/21 08:08 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

27.May, 4:25-6:10 pm, Rocky Hill. One solitary shadaholic was working the docks when I arrived, and he reported not so much as a nibble. About a half hour later another shadaholic joined us at casting practice. And that's what it was, practice casting. Nothing, nada, zilch. The current was fair, but the water was sh*tty with cotton, which clogged up the line, guides, and reel. I was tempted to order a cotton jenny, and start bailing the damned stuff. Fortunately the wind switched to our backs, and blew it toward the center of the river, and the Glastonbury shore. Still we were busy picking cotton from the lines, but it was at least tolerable at that point. For Ss&Gs, I grabbed a surface water temp, ~73ºF!

Terminal tackle: 1 oz drail over 3.5' 8# flouro leader, a hammered silver willow in white/chartreuse w/red & green dots & a black line.

No fish today. For anybody. I will try it again tomorrow after work, weather allowing, but between the cotton, and the weekend forecast, I'm thinking I'm done for the season. It's time to start thinking about the salt. Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (05/27/21 08:11 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1814797 - 05/28/21 11:47 AM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
George,

It was a good run. You did well. It is probably best to shift gears now.

MikeV
#1815865 - 06/11/21 05:38 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
I guess that your season is over. As a former shad fisherman, I have enjoyed your regular spring reports.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics