ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1828982 - 03/24/22 05:24 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
Also there are numerous YouTube videos on shad fishing the Delaware River, including those by George Shields, he has posted his first 2022 shad catch. Also consider hitching a boat ride out onto the Delaware.

Edited by cat_in_the_hat (03/24/22 05:25 PM)
Fishing Info
#1829018 - 03/25/22 08:11 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

After work I went up behind Bart's, arriving a little after 4:pm. One regular was plying the bank with his arm in a cast. The water was about the same level as yesterday, but flowing fairly well. And surprisingly clear for the rain we had gotten. Surface temp was ~48ºF. Air was mild, and calm; very pleasant. After an hour and a half, my belly began complaining for its supper, and I still had to swing by the grocery store, so I called it a day.

No fish today, but I'll try it tomorrow before it rains, and snaps cold on Sunday and Monday. Much of next week doesn't look promising, but I'll take it day by day, and play it by ear.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
#1829021 - 03/25/22 08:55 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Can’t wait until we read your report of you connecting with a Shad!!!…..any day now
#1829045 - 03/26/22 07:15 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

We'll make this report brief. I even wore my old CTF hat in hopes it would change my luck. No fish today.

I was on the water behind Bart's by 11:30 am, sunny and mild, very light breeze from upriver. Water had risen ~5" from yesterday, not too turbid, almost clear. Not much for current, and water temp was ~46º/47ºF. I had the place to myself. After 2 1/2 hours, the clouds had built, and it started to spit and drizzle. No fish today. Still, it was nice to be out of the house.

The weather through Wednesday looks unsettled, and Monday WTF! I don't think I'll be getting out again before Thursday.

Buck, thanks for the more detailed 411 on the Delaware. I will share it with my brother, and we'll try to put it into practice if I get a chance. It seems they are catching a few around the Easton area, and I thought I saw a report from up where you used to have the chalet. Paul (Cat in the Hat), thanks for the YouTube video info, I will check it out.

Shamelessly pilfered off the DRSFA (Delaware River Shad Fisherman's Association) web page:
An Old Fisherman's Poem
When the Lord made shad, the Devil was mad,
For it seemed such a feast of delight,
So to poison the scheme, He jumped in the stream,
And stuck in the bones out of spite.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1829259 - 04/02/22 04:09 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

On Thursday I went out for an hour after work. The water was down about 4' from the last trip behind Bart's. Water temp was just a hair over 40ºF, air temp about 60ºF and really pleasant. Except for snags, I got nothing. No fish today.

Today I went out after doing my chores, arrived a little after 1:pm behind Bart's. Three regulars were plying the bank and a few more were jawing up on the sidewalk. The heavy rain yesterday and last night brought the water up about 2'. It was remarkably clear, fair current, and a bit warmer than my last trip, at 46ºF. Eventually one of the gum-beaters zipped his lip and joined us taking casting practice. When it wasn't breezy, it was really nice in the sun, but when it blew it was cold. I lasted 2 hours before I was feeling the cold in more than just my fingers, so it was time to head home. No fish today.

Side notes:
One of the regulars caught a nice 21" buck shad yesterday afternoon, about 5-ish I think. Finally!

Last Thursday, my leaders were breaking on the knots when I snagged bottom. I think the spool of flouro I was using has not aged well (going on it's 3rd year, P-line). I replaced it with Vanish, but bumped up to 10#. I didn't snag as much today as last Thursday, so for now I will reserve judgement, rather than spouting a half-baked opinion. I'll let time tell me if I made the right choice.

Don't know when I will get out again, it's going to depend on the weather, which looks unsettled for next week. Until then, tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1829265 - 04/02/22 07:52 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
21” buck Shad yesterday! That’s great news
#1829290 - 04/03/22 03:19 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
Noted George Shield's last YouTube video 3-27-22 catching shad in the Delaware River. It looked like a very distinctive spot so went to Google Earth and zipped up the Delaware, apparently found it in a couple of minutes. Walk out on concrete partial dam from near Towle’s Towing 343 S Main St, Lambertville, NJ 08530.
#1829293 - 04/03/22 04:16 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: cat_in_the_hat]
No Fish Today Offline

Thanks, Paul. I'll pass that 411 on to my brother, that's down by New Hope, PA. It's about an hour south of my brother, I don't think he's willing to drive that far one-way.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1829308 - 04/03/22 08:09 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: No Fish Today

Last Thursday, my leaders were breaking on the knots when I snagged bottom. I think the spool of flouro I was using has not aged well (going on it's 3rd year, P-line). I replaced it with Vanish, but bumped up to 10#. I didn't snag as much today as last Thursday, so for now I will reserve judgement, rather than spouting a half-baked opinion. I'll let time tell me if I made the right choice.

Don't know when I will get out again, it's going to depend on the weather, which looks unsettled for next week. Until then, tight lines!

George throw the old P line out to avoid the temptation to try and use it. I've experienced the same situation sometimes from line that has been sitting in the sun or has just aged at the store. If you're consistently cracking offline oh, the fluorocarbon is no good. I have dealt with this many times and although P line is an excellent choice is still susceptible to the same phenomenon. Can't figure out what does it but it certainly does get brittle in snaps often times at the reel for me.

Line is cheap, but those memories are priceless. Use the new spool.
#1829310 - 04/03/22 08:36 PM Re: SHAD! 2022 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
Great thread. Glad to hear a shad has been landed. Hopefully there will be many more to follow. Good line/fresh line is not cheap, but is a bargain vs unnecessarily losing tackle due to weak spots. Capturing a great fish is always priceless. Discard any line that you do not trust implicitly. I store my regular mono line and leaders in a large sealed tupperware bin. Some of it is several years old and is till fine. I think it is a good idea to store all line and leader material in airtight, light proof bins at normal room temperatures.

Can't be long before they start to show in numbers.

Tight lines,

MikeV
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics