ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1847963 - 03/20/24 08:03 PM SHAD! 2024
No Fish Today Offline

Hey Now, it's time to restore order to my corner of the world, and convene this year's Shadaholic Shiit Show! To that end, I've been scouting a few of the old haunts.

FB, aka: Meta, told me that 4 years ago today, we were catching shad. However, the water has been too high, turbid, and cold. And those nice days we had recently, all fell during working hours. I stopped by Bart's today, and while it looked fish-able, it was too cold and breezy with the high water, and slack-luster current for my liking. So, no fish today, or yesterday, or last week.

OTOH, I did get to catch up with a few shadaholics up on the sidewalk. Bill C, and Dylan were flapping their gums, while one of the young neophytes was taking casting practice on the bank below. Radio joined us, shortly.

With the forecast for up to 3" of rain Saturday, it looks like it might be a little while before we get any shad. Hopefully little is the operative word, and it's about time to dust off the gear.

I'll use the same set ups as I've used the last 10, or 100 years or so. Except the Penn 4200ss has been moved on the roster from starter to reliever. The anti-reverse hasn't worked in years, and it just feels loose all over; it's good to have a back up. I was leaning toward a Pflueger President XT25, but apparently the latest model no longer has an anti-reverse switch--at least the one I saw at Cabela's didn't. Deal breaker. So, today I picked up a Shimano Sahara FJ 1000 as my starter, and spooled it with about 80 yards of 15# PowerPro. I hope the drag is as good as the old Penn's is...

It's going to be a good year. Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (03/20/24 08:05 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
Fishing Info
#1847965 - 03/21/24 06:07 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
Best of luck this coming season.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
#1848177 - 03/30/24 03:58 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

First trip report of the season. Arrived behind Bart's just after 11:am, the river was clear, but higher than Snoop Dog. I had the place to myself. The wind was running down stream to Loomis, but it wasn't particularly cold. Water temp was about 45ºF, but there wasn't much current besides the wind pushing the surface water.

About 11:45 or so, a neophyte made an appearance, he introduced himself as Kieran. We were jawing as he rigged up, and the Guy in the Fish Hat, Jerry pulled up and joined us on the sidewalk. By 12:30 Ernie had joined us, and Sissy, Rick and Dylan appeared. We had a quorum, and convened the first of many sessions of the Shadaholics Unanimous meetings. There was some fishing, much talk, and no shad, or anything else for that matter.

Reports over the last week were that Dylan had hooked a couple, and Bill C had brought one to the bank, but lost it at his feet. I don't think either of them landed a shad, yet. They're starting to show up, and if it stops raining every few days and the water comes down a little, or at least gets flowing better, it shouldn't be long. I hope...

Tackle:
Rod: one-piece Ugly Stik, 4'6" U/L Pro
Reel: I retired to backup the Penn 4200SS, and sprung for a new reel, a Shimano Sahara FJ 1000. It's spooled with 15# Power Pro (Hi-Viz Yellow).

Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail over a 3', 10# flouro leader, and willow leaf, hammered silver in yellow with black dots.

Edited by No Fish Today (03/31/24 07:58 AM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848294 - 04/06/24 08:11 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

5.April: 3rd trip of the season, and as unremarkable as the 2nd trip. I set up on the bank up behind Bart's about 4:30 pm. The river was up, but clear and with a good current, and a surface temp about 46º-47ºF. Rick and Sissy had their arms in casts as I set up. Dylan arrived before 5:pm, and Tyler shortly behind him. We all took casting practice. No fish today.

It's supposed to warm up over the weekend, and into next week. We'll be out plying the water and hoping to connect with Mr. or Mrs. Shad. Good luck, and tight lines!

Tackle:
Reel: I retired the Penn 4200SS, and sprung for a new reel, a Shimano Sahara FJ 1000. It's spooled with 15# Power Pro (Hi-Viz Yellow).

Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail over a 2'-2 1/2', 10# flouro leader, and willow leaf, hammered gold in yellow with black dots.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848306 - 04/07/24 11:13 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
Keep those reports coming. Love reading them. Good luck on the season.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
#1848315 - 04/07/24 06:48 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Tomorrow’s eclipse will have the Shad running the rivers.

Happy Catching!!!!
#1848316 - 04/07/24 07:41 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

7.April: I pulled up behind Bart's just before 12:noon to see 5 arms in casts. The water was clear, had nice current, and had fallen about 2' over the last couple or 3 days. Dylan reported a water temp about 43ºF, which I confirmed a couple of hours later to see if it had risen a smidge with the sun beating down. It didn't. :shrug:

It didn't take me long to join them, and get into the rhythm. Casting practice was very good today. Catching, not so much. Dylan had been there since about 9:am, and nobody had hooked up, until Keegan caught a shiner--ambitious little thing! That was the only thing I saw up until I left about 3:30 pm. It was nice to be out with old friends, and catching up with a few other shadaholics who stopped by to chat, and see if it was worth the trouble of getting their tackle together. It wasn't today, perhaps tomorrow, or Tuesday when things really warm up, but it doesn't really matter. It beats sitting on the couch, or crunching a keyboard. YMMV, and invariably will...

Tackle:
Reel: I retired the Penn 4200SS, and sprung for a new reel, a Shimano Sahara FJ 1000. It's spooled with 15# Power Pro (Hi-Viz Yellow).

Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail over a 3', 10# flouro leader, and hammered gold willow leaf in pink and white, with a black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848335 - 04/08/24 04:23 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Paul D. Offline

Lifetime Member

Loc: South Central, CT
Just want to chime in. Never fished for American shad ( but hope to some day) . Really enjoy reading your reports! Please keep them coming.

Boat Ho in the Know

Team DILLIGAF

#1848356 - 04/09/24 06:19 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

8.April, 4:15ish: It was partly sunny and warm when I pulled up behind Bart's after work. Dylan, his mother, Radio and a couple of other characters had their arms in a cast, or were beating their gums up on the sidewalk. The water was down a little more from yesterday, clear, with a very good current, and surface temp. about 46ºF.

We all fell into a pattern of casting practice until about 5:pm, when Dylan had a solid hookset. After a few minutes, a few runs, and a little bit of acrobatics, he had a decent buck in the net. The first shad that we know of being landed. A couple or three had been hooked and lost over the last few weeks, but Dylan snapped a picture for proof of the pudding in the pan. He posted it to American Shad on FB, winning 25 of Steve's Leaves for his trouble. Congrats, Dylan. Radio hooked into his first shad of the season, for 2 bucks in 5 minutes. And then it got quiet, again.

By 6:30, my stomach was complaining for our supper, and I headed out for home. It was a great day to be on the bank. With the warming temps this week, we're hoping the shad run and action picks up--at least, I am. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a 3', 10# flouro leader, and hammered silver willow leaf in white, with red dots, aka "spotty".

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848357 - 04/09/24 06:58 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Nice Eclipse Shad!!!

You’ll hook up next trip.
#1848370 - 04/09/24 05:02 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
kayak fisher Offline

Loc: milford
Your turn next. thanks for the reports.

bob
#1848372 - 04/09/24 06:53 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

It is starting!
Keep the reports coming.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
#1848376 - 04/09/24 07:56 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
Great report! Glad to hear they are here. It will only get better.

MikeV
#1848377 - 04/09/24 07:57 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

9.April: I was able to escape work early today for a Dr. app't, and was on the bank a bit before 3:pm. There were a handful of shadaholics congregate, some jawing on the sidewalk, and a few with their arms in a cast when I pulled up behind Bart's. The water was down a little more since yesterday, very clear, but smooth as a pond, with barely any current. The surface temp was up between 50º and 51ºF. No one had caught anything yet.

After greeting the usual suspects, I got to work practicing my casts. By 5:pm, another handful of folx showed up, including the inimitable Ms Lily, for about a dozen, and about half actually fishing. About 5:30, I had a hit almost under Dylan's feet, I didn't get a good look at it, but I think it was a bronze-back. It didn't mouth the leaf, but head smacked it in the skinny water, as it rolled back out to the deeper channel after tapping it. Still, nobody had hooked anything, and by 6:pm, the rumbly in my tummy had me pack it in for sustenance. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a 3-1/2', 10# flouro leader, and hammered silver willow leaf in white, with red dots, aka "spotty". After I lost the spotty, I tied on a larger #3 leaf in hammered silver, pink/chartreuse, and black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848388 - 04/10/24 09:44 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Glad you got out. It was a beautiful day(way too nice to be working). Shad fishing is like the lottery...You got be in it to win it.
I can feel you winning a major prize in the very near future.

Thanks for your reports. I am placing my shad outfit in the car this weekend so I can try my luck when I end up near the river.
I will supply intell as it becomes available.

MikeV
#1848394 - 04/10/24 08:03 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: MikeV]
No Fish Today Offline

Mike, when you say "you've got to be in it to win it", you're absolutely right. Glad to see you're getting your tackle ready to give them a shot. It's starting to pick up. See my AAR for today's excursion.

Any 411 you can give from your own trips will be much appreciated. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848395 - 04/10/24 08:24 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

10.April: I skipped on out of work in Hartford a little after 4:pm, and was parking behind Bart's just before 4:30, traffic was surprisingly light! The bank was crowded, and one of the usual suspects had caught a roe before I got there. It was his first shad of the year, and she was a little girl of about 3#. A good omen. A while later Dylan landed a middlin' buck, which he released after a Kodak moment™. A few minutes later, his mother, Sissy snagged the bottom, or so she thought. The bottom decided it didn't like getting snagged, tugged back, and grudgingly came to the net, a decent buck.

Other than a single hit that didn't stick on my 2nd cast, I got the stinky kitty. skunk Ah well, it was a nice afternoon to be out, despite the overcast, and scattered showers. The water was up about 8" or so, moving pretty well, and clear. The surface temp was the same as yesterday, between 50º and 51ºF. If the rain isn't too heavy tomorrow afternoon, I'll be back for another round of casting practice. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a 3-1/2', 10# flouro leader, and a leaf in hammered silver, pink/chartreuse, and black dot. After I lost that leaf, I shortened my leader to about 3', and tied on a hammered silver leaf, in white with silver glitter, and a red dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848399 - 04/10/24 09:41 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

April 11th is the best day of the year. You’ll get one….even if I you have to be in the rain. Good Luck
#1848408 - 04/11/24 01:10 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

They are heading our way. Intell from my son is that a local saw shad in the back water of Niantic as he was giving his kayak a test run. Having fished that area a few times from our center console, there are often shad there for a good part of the year. However, they are hickories, the skinny cousin of American shad and they will take a small kastmaster (1/2 ounce or less) once it warms up. Water temperature is still in the high 40s there. The shad should arrive in numbers and get active soon.

MikeV
#1848412 - 04/11/24 08:20 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

11.April: I got out of work late, and didn't get to the bank behind Bart's until almost 5:pm. There were a few folx already taking casting practice, and not shad was reported. It was drizzling as I set up, and the water had risen almost a foot since yesterday. The current was decent, water clear, and the surface temp was the same as yesterday, 51º-ish. It alternated between drizzle, and a light, steady rain.

After an hour of light banter, and steady ribbing, but no shad, I called it an early day, and headed out to complete a couple of chores before I got my supper. No fish today. Tomorrow looks like it might be a wash-out, but I'll watch the weather. If the rain isn't too hard, and the water isn't raging, I'll probably try it again for at least a little while. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a 3-1/2', 10# flouro leader, over a hammered silver leaf, in white with silver glitter, and a red dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848438 - 04/12/24 07:28 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

12.April: After doing my morning chores, I headed up behind Bart's for about 12:noon. It was overcast but not raining, and only 2 others were on the bank on arrival. The water was up a lot from yesterday, and still rising, surface temp 51ºF. The current was good, some sticks were in the water column, and more than one of us caught wooden eels. Kieran on his lunch break joined us around 12:30, Brandon joined us after 1:pm, and Radio passed by, but didn't fish. Along about 2-ish, Brandon landed a nice buck. Harry stopped by, set up, and started fishing the hole just upstream from the rest of us on the rocks.

About 2:30, it started to rain and the radar didn't look pretty, so I packed up to go get a late lunch. As I left, a young guy walked up, and took my place on the bank. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: despite the rising water, I was still able to find the bottom with a 3/4 oz drail over a 2-1/2'-3', 10# flouro leader, over a hammered silver leaf, in white with silver glitter, and a red dot. After I lost that leaf, I switched to hammered silver in pink with a black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848450 - 04/13/24 07:16 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

13.April: I finished my chores, and pulled in behind Bart's by 10:am. Only a couple of people were trying their luck. The river was WAY up from yesterday, by several feet, and rising. The water was turbid, not as much debris and flotsam as I expected, and the current was slower than anticipated, too. The river was so high, the water was 1/2 way up the boat ramp, there was a pool under the RR bridge where the water was backing up from the storm drains, and percolating through the sidewalk. We stood just to the river side of the guardrail, and cast from the top of the bank. People came in by ones and twos, joining us on the bank, or beating their gums on the sidewalk behind us. We weren't catching, but the chatter was good. And the weather was cooperating, being partly sunny, and only a little breezy to start.

About 10:45 my retrieve came to an abrupt halt. A couple of head shakes gave it away, and it was game on. After a brief skirmish, a middlin' buck was brought into the net, maybe 2 whole lbs. Shad! I am finally on the board. After a Kodak™ moment, I released him. A few of the other shadaholics hooked up throughout the day,mostly shad, but included a couple of schoolies. All were C&R, and a couple were lost at the bank. Things seem to be picking up. About 3:15, I had a solid hit, and it was reluctantly drawn closer to the bank. As soon as the water got skinny, we were off to the races. She put her head down and ran deep, then made some short, shallow runs, but never breached. I had to give her enough rope to proverbially hang herself, before I could get her to the net. A nice, early season roe, close to 3#. After a Kodak™ moment, she was released, too. By this time, the intermittent breeze, was freshening and getting colder.

All this time the river was rising, about an inch an hour. I almost got my feet wet getting into my Jeep at 4:pm, the pool had spread up Pleasant St, the water was lapping at the sidewalk at the low spot under the RR bridge, and had crept up to the top of the ramp. We were all surprised that the road wasn't blocked off with cones by this point. It was amusing watching people drive up to the edge of the pool, stop, and decide discretion was the better part of valor. Then turn around and drive back the way they came down. And then there was the entertainer: a kid on a dirt bike came down the street, stopped at the edge, and decided to send it. He made it about 1/2 way before the bike aspirated, and died. Yep, he got his feet wet, and had to do the walk of shame to get out of the puddle. He was able to eventually restart it, and with effort, he putted away. ROTFLMAO!

Terminal Tackle: I started with a 3/4 oz drail over a 3-12', 10# flouro leader, over a hammered silver leaf in pink with a black dot, and eventually lost it. With the rising water, 3/4 oz wasn't holding the bottom, so I switched to a 1 oz drail, over a 3-12' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in pale yellow leaf with blue and white stripes-I got the buck on it. When I lost that leaf, I finished with a hammered silver in blue with a red dot, which garnered the roe.

All in all, it was a great day to be out on the water! The consensus among the liars' club is the shad should start moving, and things will pick up next week. We'll see, but today was promising. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848451 - 04/13/24 08:18 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Awesome! Glad you landed a couple! Will def pick up now!
#1848453 - 04/13/24 08:48 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Great Day! Glad you connected with some nice fish. You might want to share the pictures as they motivate the rest of us
to get out there. Were there were some, others will follow.

MikeV
#1848454 - 04/13/24 09:21 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
JLMOS Offline

Loc: Meriden,CT.
The game is afoot!!!

Well done.

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money
#1848464 - 04/14/24 07:32 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Tall 1 Offline

Congrats!
#1848511 - 04/15/24 08:48 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

15.April: I pulled in behind Bart's about 4:45 pm. There were a 1/2 dozen shadaholics throwing lead and willow leaves at the river. The river had fallen about 4' from yesterday morning when I did a distant drive-by. The road was closed and blocked off, and under plenty of water. The water was clear, with not much debris in the current, such as there was of it. Not much current, sums it up. Surface water temp was up to 56º F. It was fish-able. No shad on the bank, but someone had C&R one earlier in the day.

We all took casting practice over the next hour. Practice being the operative word. The only thing we caught was the bottom. I packed it in about 5:45 when my belly was getting past grumbling for its supper. No matter, it was a beautiful afternoon to be out. So nice, air temp about 70ºF. I could get used to this...

Whether I get out tomorrow is "iffy". My MIL has a couple of afternoon appointments, so I probably won't get out. Wednesday looks good, so far. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: a 1 oz drail, over a 3-1/2' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in blue with a red dot, until I lost it. I finished with a hammered silver leaf in yellow/white w/silver glitter and a black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848516 - 04/15/24 10:19 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don D Offline

Great reports and a couple fish to boot. Congrats.

#1848526 - 04/16/24 12:59 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Way to go!

#1848528 - 04/16/24 02:38 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Iuse2fish Offline

Loc: Danbury, CT.
Would you mind taking a picture of your setup?
#1848533 - 04/16/24 07:27 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: Iuse2fish]
No Fish Today Offline

Hi Iuse2fish,
I'll try, but I'm not too savvy posting pix to this forum. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for me to post a picture successfully...

Quick, down and dirty description:

inline trolling sinker (aka: drail) tied to the main line, leader material (mono, or flourocarbon tied to the other end of the drail, and a willow leaf or shad dart tied to the end.

Edited by No Fish Today (04/16/24 07:42 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification? Clear as mud...

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848535 - 04/16/24 07:37 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

15.April: I parked behind Bart's around 4:30. The river was down a couple of more feet since yesterday, the water was clear, and the current was decent. I didn't get a surface temp, but mid-50ºs would be a good guesstimate. Almost a half dozen folx were practicing their casts. Rumor was Hunter had scored 1 and lost 1 earlier, but I don't know the time.

By the time I had my arm in a cast, a few more reprobates had joined the circus on the rocks. I cast for an hour and a half, and nobody had so much as a bump and run. Things are off to a slow start. As a metric, Dylan, the boy wonder, would usually have caught more than a dozen by now.
Terminal Tackle: a 1 oz drail, over a 3-1/2' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in yellow/white w/silver glitter and a black dot, and I finished with a pink/chartreuse with a red dot. Other shadaholics threw the rainbow at them, but all was for naught. No fish today. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre. Ah, maybe things will pick up tomorrow...

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848559 - 04/17/24 11:13 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Rome was not built in a day. Keep at it.
MikeV
#1848580 - 04/18/24 07:43 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
rswanson330 Offline

Loc: Willington
OK, Here's my hat in the ring...
I stopped at the Windsor launch yesterday around noon and stayed for an hour.
It was fishable, but no fish were to be had.
Then I went up to Barts.
Now, I haven't been shad fishing for many years and wasn't sure how to set myself up,
I have willow leafs, drails and darts but I think I kind of overdid it with the line,
I was fishing a 30# braid with a 25# fluoro leader on it,
The drail tied to the leader with about 2 1/2 - 3' 15# fluoro leader below it.
I fished until a little after 3:00 without so much as a bump,
Beware that there is something in the water just downstream of the launch about 25' out that eats rigs.
After I lost three I moved.
The guy with the fish hat was there and I bought a bunch of rigs and drails,
He told me that the shad were really heating up,
Some boat guys were 20+ fish.
The folks on the rocks also supposedly picked a few up,
I moved up there to the spot just upstream from the big rocky spot (I was at the steep bank with enough room for one person) and fished that for about 45 minutes with no taps,
But the rock guys caught at least one while I was there.
One fellow told me green was the color of the day.
I'm going to change up my game, see if I have a rod with 10# on it and use that,
Maybe get back to Barts early tomorrow morning.

I'm going to drop off some reels for the fish hat guy to put carbon drags in and I'll probably pick up some more willow leafs,
Anybody have any experience with his reel repairs?
He says that when his current supply of willow leafs runs out he's not making any more.
They seem to be an article that doesn't stick around for too long once you start fishing with them,
So I should probably have a few brazillion on hand at all times.
Funny thing,
I was using a stiff 6'6" rod and I was casting like a little girl.
I've been using spinning gear since I was able to walk,
But I was pitching into the water 50' in front of me with a loud "Thunk".
I had to slow myself down and remind myself that I didn't have a 9-13' rod in my hand.
Could one really forget how to throw a spinning rod???
I'll post of I get out tomorrow.
#1848591 - 04/18/24 11:16 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don D Offline

I always used 25 lb braid with 10lb floro leader. I also used beaded keel sinkers instead of drails. Keeps you from spinning up your line.

#1848599 - 04/18/24 07:42 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

18.April: I was late getting out of work, so didn't get to Bart's until almost 5:pm. Hunter and another guy I don't know were working the bank. Hunter said he had been fishing since 1:pm, and caught 2 in the half hour before I arrived. A little while later, he C & R a very small schoolie, about this time, Dylan showed up. The river was down another couple of feet, mostly clear, and the current was very good. I didn't get a water temp, but I would be surprised if it didn't go down a few degrees with the rain, and cooler temps last night and today.

About 5:30 or so, the other fella C & R a small buck shad. And by 6:pm, I couldn't feel my thumb and trigger finger on my casting hand, and the rest of me was getting cold, so I packed it in to get home for supper. Vaughn showed up just as I was shoving off. He had tried his luck at Bissell where he prefers to fish, but the water is still too high and dirty there.

Terminal Tackle: a 1 oz drail, over a 3' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in pink/chartreuse with a red dot. I was able to work the bottom (work being the operative word), but the current was stiff enough that I could have thrown a 1-1/2 oz drail.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848633 - 04/19/24 08:37 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

19.April: I pulled in behind Bart's about 3:30 pm to find about a half dozen folx taking casting practice on the rocks, or milling around the sidewalk. Rumors were told about a couple of shad caught earlier in the day. The water was down, clear, the current was strong, and the water temp was 50º F. Being partly sunny and mild, it was nice to join the Mötley Crüe on the rocks, and to find a flat spot to stand, as a bonus.

To make a long story short, only one little schoolie was caught up until 5:pm. A little after 5, a nice little buck was caught, and kept. Dylan showed up a short time later, and on his 2nd or 3rd cast, he got into it with a scrapper. He thought he had foul hooked it. It wasn't, but it gave him a good hard fight for a little 2-ish# roe, which he promptly released. By 6:pm, I was tired, and hungry, packed it in, and headed home for supper. It's getting crowded down there these last couple of days, as word gets out that things are slowly improving.

Iuse2fish: I took a picture of my terminal tackle set up, but I can't figure out how to upload it to the forum. Evidently my picture exceeds the limits allowed for posting, and I don't know how to properly resize it. Probably just as well, as the contrast isn't very good. :shrug:

Terminal Tackle: a 1 oz drail, over a 3' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in pink/chartreuse with a red dot. When I lost that, I went with a white leaf, with silver glitter and pink dot.

When the current picked up before 5:pm, brought out a bigger gun so I could throw a 1-1/2 oz drail. Rod: Bass Pro Shops Graphite Series, 7' one piece, medium action fast; Reel: Penn 4400 SS, spooled with 15# Power Pro (Hi-Viz Yellow).
Terminal tackle was about the same as used with the U/L, but I can throw 1-1/2 and 2 oz weights with this set up, which I normally use when the water is high and fast in the main CT River at Bissell, Rocky Hill, and Cromwell sites.

I'll be back on the rock pile tomorrow, but Sunday, I might make the trip down to Cromwell to scout the wall. We'll see how it goes. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848639 - 04/20/24 11:33 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
rswanson330 Offline

April 20 - Barts at dawn
Got to Barts with a buddy while it was still misting around 05:45. We struggled to get the rods set up in the dark with 3/4 drails, 3' leaders and one silver, one green willow leafs. I left the big guns (15# fluoro) home today in favor of a much more "shad'able" 8# setup.

It started raining before we were done setting up, and we were on the rocks by 6:30.
The weather was getting worse, a light rain was ramping up into downright pouring by 6:45.
I came damn close to losing my rod, I stumbled while trying to free a snag and fell onto the rocks at the edge of the river,
I let go of the rod in the mayhem and it landed in the water.
I wasn't that concerner until I saw it leaving for the middle of the river.
One giant step and a quick grab and I was able to grab it by the last inch.
Another split second and it would have been out of reach.

The rain wasn't improving and my buddy was soaking through so we called it around 7:00.
No hits, no misses, no nuthin'.
We were the only ones there.

We stopped at the Windsor launch on the way home and, oddly, there is about a 22' fiberglass boat dragged up on shore and tied to a tree. It doesn't have any numbers on it but it has one of those red stickers that the police put on stranded cars on the side of the highway.

Anyhow, that's all I got.
#1848643 - 04/20/24 05:22 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Well you got out in funky rain. Glad you didn’t get hurt on the rocks.

From Paul/Cat_in_the_hat (cith) yesterday

#1848698 - 04/22/24 07:49 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

20.April--late report, life gets in the way, and will continue to for a couple of days--at least a couple more...

I parked at Bart's before 11:am, and some of the usual suspects were lollygagging in the usual manner. A few were even fishing, although nobody was catching. However, a call had come in just before I got there, that they were catching them at the Wall. Bill C, Dylan, and a few others had already bugged out, and headed down. Whelp, I'm not wasting my time when a reliable reporter said he's catching.

I arrived at the Wall about 11:45, and there were over a half dozen with their arms in a cast. Miguel said he had caught 3, and lost 1, and John said he had caught 1, too. That's music to my ears, so I rigged quickly, and put my arm in a cast. Over the next few hours, more people dribbled in as word spread. I wouldn't say it was crowded, but we covered half the wall. And shad made their appearance, every so often somebody hooked up. I got a good solid hit a little after 3:pm, it put it's head down, and stayed down, or tried like hell. It pulled long, and hard, and as it got closer it dug deeper, and made a few short runs, putting up a good scrap before John was able to assist with the net. It was a nice long, thick buck. All in all, I saw about 9 shad caught for the afternoon, not everyone hooked up, but most did. I got my vitamin shad, so it was a good day!

The water was a couple or 3' below the top of the wall, but turbid-you couldn't see far into it. The current was good, but an ounce and a half weight was enough to find and hold the bottom. I didn't get a surface temp.

Terminal Tackle: a 1-1/2 oz drail, over a 3-1/2' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in pink/chartreuse with a red dot, until I lost it. I caught my vitamin shad on a hammered silver leaf in yellow with a touch of blue/silver glitter, and black dots.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848713 - 04/22/24 11:06 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Offline

Nice! Congrats on another one!
#1848716 - 04/23/24 05:54 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Yes!

#1848832 - 04/24/24 07:07 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
rswanson330 Offline

I fished Barts this morning from about 6:00-7:30.
One fellow joined me on the rocks around 6:30,
And there was nobody else there.
The other guy got two bumps early, then nothing.
I may have had a bump... May have had a stick on the bottom.
The river has really dropped,
But the fish didn't care.
#1848834 - 04/24/24 08:20 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

24.April: at the Wall a little after 4:30 pm, 6 or 7 shadaholics were tossing leaves. The water was down a few feet from Saturday, nice and clear for the first time, with a good current. A number of shad had been caught before I arrived, John who had been there most of the day had at least 5, Bill C who arrived a few minutes before me had already landed one. People arrived by ones and twos, and by the time I left at 7, there were over a dozen of us lining about half the Wall. At least a half dozen shad were caught, and most were released. Most of the shad were caught tight to the wall, and toward the middle section. I was fishing near the left corner, and got skunked tonight. The folx to my right had to be intercepting them before they made it to me. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, LOL! No matter, the banter was good, and some nice shad were caught, bucks for the most part, but a couple of roes were C & R.

Terminal Tackle: a 1-1/2 oz drail, over a 4' leader, and a hammered silver leaf in yellow with a touch of blue/silver glitter, and black dots. After I lost that, I tied on a hammered silver leaf in pink with a white stripe and black dot.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848843 - 04/25/24 06:29 AM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Online   fishing

Loc: Tolland CT
Windsor Shad Derby coming up Friday - Sunday May 3 to May 5, 2024. Pre-registration can be done at the Route 159 boat launch below the Dexter Coffin bridge once the Windsor Rod & Gun Club has its weigh-in shed set up. More details:

https://www.windsorshadderby.org/shad-masters-fishing-derby.html
#1848922 - 04/26/24 08:20 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

26.April: I stopped at the Wall after work, arriving about 4:45 pm. There were about 20 people spread out along the wall, most fishing for shad. A newbie hooked up on his first ever shad shortly after I got there. I grabbed my net, but before I could get it in position, the shad flipped away from the wall, and he gave it a hard tug. And it dropped the leaf, or more likely, he tore it out of it's mouth. Scuttlebutt was that a few shad were caught earlier in the day, but not much else was happening at that time.

The water was down another couple of feet, nice and clear, but there wasn't much current. By 6:pm the current was picking up, along with the wind, which was getting cold. By the time I left a little after 6:30, another 4 shad had been hooked, and most landed. I got bumped a couple of times, but nothing stuck to the leaf.

Terminal tackle: back and forth between 1 oz, and 1-1/2 oz drail over a 4' flouro 10# leader, and a hammered silver leaf in pink with a white stripe and black dot.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1848958 - 04/27/24 08:11 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

27.April: I had just about finished today's post, when *poof*. It was gone...

Reader's Digest condensed version:
I was at the Wall from just before 11:am to 3:45 pm. Lot's of shadaholics lined the Wall. I saw a lot of shad caught, over 1 dozen throughout the day. All bucks I think, as I didn't hear anyone say they got a roe. Some of the bucks were good sized, long and thick. Of the 3 shad I got today, I thought 2 were roes, until we got them in a net.

I started with my "heavy" set up, a 1 piece 7' med action rod, mated to a Penn 4400SS, throwing a 1-1/2 oz drail over the usual terminal tackle. When the current slowed mid afternoon, I switched up to my U/L set up, a 1 piece 4'6" Ugly Stik, mated to a Shimano Sahara FJ 1000, also over the usual terminal tackle.
Willow leaf colors today were all a base of hammered silver. Paint on the leaves varied: pink w/ white stripe and a black dot; white w/a few red dots; royal blue/chartreuse w/"eye"; and red/white w/black dot. I caught the 3 shad, one each, on the last 3 colors. Does color and pattern really matter? Enquiring minds want to know...

Tomorrow is another promising day. I will be out in the afternoon if things don't go awry, as they often have lately. I hope you can get out, too. And if we do, tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1849008 - 04/29/24 08:03 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

29.April: I got stuck at work, and didn't get down to the Wall until after 5:pm. Surprisingly, there were less than a half-dozen regulars plying the wall on the left side. There were a few people down on the right corner, but they looked like they were chunking for the most part. 411 from the regulars, including John who was out since 7:am was that things were dead at the moment, not unlike the current. He reported that he had caught 7 earlier throughout the day.

The water was clear, down almost another foot, and slack, barely moving. I threw the U/L with an ounce for weight, and had no trouble reaching and holding the bottom. Before 5:30 a shad was C & R, and by 5:45 another was netted. By then, the wind picked up, and the temp dropped almost 10º; it got chilly. A few more people had joined us along the Wall, but I still didn't count a dozen. And people started packing up around 6. I threw in the towel, too. No fish today.

Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail over a 3-1/2', 10# flouro leader, and hammered silver willow leaf in red and white, with a black dot.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1849031 - Yesterday at 05:33 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Paulie Walnuts (AKA Cat in the hat) and I hit the wall (Cromwell) Saturday (4/28) morning at first light till around 9:00. I caught 1 small buck. Other regulars (about 10 or so) showed up shortly after us. There were by my rough count about a dozen fish caught while we were there. A few were pretty good sized.

I tried my luck today Tuesday 4/30 from about 1-2PM. I caught 1. There were about a dozen caught by the 10 or so other fishermen during that time. Doing the math there were about the same number of fishermen catching about the same number of fish but in about 1/3 the time. It is getting better.
One guy was on the South corner plugging for stripers. They showed him no love.

Tackle: 1 1/4 oz drail 3' 12# Fluoro leader with a willow leaf silver, or pink or silver/red dots

MikeV
#1849034 - Yesterday at 07:45 PM Re: SHAD! 2024 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I agree, Mike!

30.April: I was at the Wall a little after 4:30 pm today. It was a near ghost town, only 3 people fishing, and one left as I set up. Tales of shad caught earlier in the day, but recently, not so much. Of course it was near slack tide, and with the shad, its all about the current. I had that familiar bump on my first cast; the bump of alewives grabbing the weight, or leaf. They are starting to show up regularly. The first one stuck, and was promptly released. On my second cast, I had that bump, but it didn't stick. Just as well, the next hit was a shad. We didn't fight long before it threw the leaf near the Wall. It was deep enough that I never got a look at it, but it fought like a small buck. And that was it for me.

A couple or 3 more people showed up, but only the alewives were making their presence known. The breeze freshened out of the south, and it was getting cold, so I packed it in just before 6:30, leaving only 1 to continue fishing. I'll try it again tomorrow, hopefully the weather is milder, and more cooperative. Tight lines!

Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail over a 3-1/2', 10# flouro leader, and hammered silver willow leaf in red and white, with a black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics