ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#427321 - 01/22/07 03:40 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Pappa D Offline

Loc: Too far from salt, CT
Fees at the ramps should be the way to go. I pay a premium as a resident of New Milford to use Lynn Deming (not sure exactly where all the $ goes?)and an additional charge on top of that is crazy. Those who use the lake most should pay the most. Someone coming from across the state to use the lake once a year should not have to pay the same cost as someone using it 3 times a week. A seasonal pass at the ramp should be available for those that use it frequently. A fee at the ramp is a fair and a resonable way for some $ to be raised to improve those crappy facilities as well.

Darren
Fishing Info
#427322 - 01/22/07 03:52 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
triton186 Offline

first off, CwoodMan, i mean no offense. i wasn't referring to you in particular, i was speaking in general terms.

maybe i was misunderstood. i don't have a problem with conservation or safety improvements on candlewood or any other body of water for that matter. its in our own best interest to do just that. my point was with the argument of the residents that say (and i know its not all residents) why should we have to pay more to care for it when lots of non residents use it too. my point is, lots of money from non residents goes to the cause, as does alot of tax dollars from CT residents that never use the lake for any purpose. the majority of the people in the state that pay taxes to fund trout stocking or other DEP projects or conservation officer patrols never cash in on it.

personally, i don't have a problem paying a launch fee, assuming the money is put back into the resource. honestly, that would be a better way to keep track of boat traffic than a sticker. a guy that buys a sticker and fishes candlewood 100 times a year is counted the same as someone that buys a sticker 3 or four time a year? that doesnt make much sense. a launch fee each time someone goes is a more accurate way to keep count.

what ever is done, i think it needs to be well thought out. its alarming when you hear stories about lakes becoming private property and off limits to the general public. i'm not saying thats the plan here, but its something for all of uf to keep in mind.
#427323 - 01/22/07 04:00 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Buck Offline

This sticker proposal has more life than anyone currently thinks. It has a lot of supporters and those are the people on the stakeholder committees. Governor Rell lives in Brookfield and will sign a bill for Candlewood stickers if it passes the General Assembly. It is her home base of support. DEP Commissioner McCarthy was hired by Rell so where do you think she comes down on the issue. How will her department heads in Inland Fisheries, Boating and Lakes Management come down? This is how Lake Waramaug got passed, Rowland told Rocque to tell his guys to do "the deal" with the Town of Washington and David Leff did the deal. We got screwed, no public boat ramps at the state park.
But for all the sticker advocates on these committees the pony in the pile of crap is the second shoe that falls: limiting the amount of stickers issued every year.
Ok Buck, where is the precedent for that? How about Squantz Pond state park and its launch. Ever show up in the late morning on a summer Saturday or Sunday and try to launch your boat for a day of fishing? Can't do it. The park is full and they don't let anyone else in. No exceptions for fisherman or other boaters. If you are not there before 8am or show up after 5pm forget about it.
Why is the park full you ask? Because the town of New Fairfield got tired of sending down their EMTs, fire dept. and police to break up gang fights and find dead bodies from drownings so they collaborated with the DEP to cut back the amount of cars that they will admit to the park. Today, only about a third of the cars that used to come into the park only ten years ago on a summer weekend are allowed in today. An alternative was to add more state park police, charge by the person rather than the car, charge more, have better control of the place instead of limiting access but limiting access is the easiest thing to do.
As I sit here and type I can guarantee that within five years of a sticker program there will be limits on how many stickers will be issued per year with a preference to the five town's residents. They will also curtail practices such as day stickers, assuming they implement them to begin with. No day stickers and you have to ask why even have a state launch. Down the slippery slope of exclusionary practices.
Every major "public" lake, reservoir or significant body of inland water in this state is controlled by someone other than the DEP or state of Ct. Every lake with a state launch will implement stickers. Highland, East Twin, Beach, Lilli, Wono, etc. The precedent will be set, the General Assembly simply can not say no. The local legislatures will do the "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" routine and they will all pass each other's sticker bills. Because the pony here is limiting stickers with preference given to local residents. This limits access and is in no one's best interest no matter how selfish you are. Someday, with some issue, limitations on access will gore your ox and it will because you were your own worst enemy and didn't grasp the big picture.
#427324 - 01/22/07 04:13 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
AL_M Offline

Loc: Wolcott
launch fee is the way to go.Imagine 20 bucks times the number of boats per tournie.Plus all of the rec users thats a huge amount of money .You just need to make sure it goes in the right fund!You would easily collect 1-2 thousand a day in the summer!People who live on the lake shouldnt pay anymore money to use their boat.I dont live on the lake ,just in case someone is wondering.My take is if your respectful of their property and dont fish the docks while they are using them or bounce lead off their boats ,they are respectful of you.Sorry just went off topic
#427325 - 01/22/07 04:21 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
triton186 Offline

Amen Buck...

"Down the slippery slope of exclusionary practices"

thats my point and concern. once it starts, there will be no stopping it.
#427326 - 01/22/07 06:44 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
mattmann7 Offline

Loc: wethersfield ct
well put buck. if it came to a sticker program whos to say that the association couldnt or wouldnt purchase the block of available stickers?
#427327 - 01/22/07 06:52 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
fishluv Offline

In the end I would like to see connecticut residents get some sort of a break on the fee.Let the out of state people take more of the financial burden.
#427328 - 01/22/07 10:13 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
BigLee Offline

Loc: New Milford CT
This has been going around in some fashion for many years. There are some valid points for the user’s fee but most of it requires monies collected to go to the CLA. The state ramp fees all go to the General fund. CLA wants a portion of those revenues from the daily users. But there is no mention of taking money from the boats moored on the lake. There are 6000 boats moored on the lake. I am not sure what the percentage is when it come to marinas, homeowners or homeowner associations but the total was tated last year as being 6000 as reported by the CLA . The people that moor their boats feel that they pay enough. The homeowners feel they pay enough. So let’s take it out on the ramp users. I pay a Ramp fee in New Milford to launch my boat $150 American, Hard earned dollars. Yet I am told that I have to launch from Squantz to fish a tournament because the residents don't want to hear a boat before 7:00. It is okay to water Ski all night if you want to though, or be skiing at first questionable safe light. So now I have to pay again at the ramp... Why should I??? Yes I live next to the lake and I pay dearly for that privilege in additional taxes, being recreational property. A user fee is not the answer to reducing the number of boats on the lake but there are those that will tell you that is their personal agenda, especially to eliminate bass tournaments, if they think you agree with them. Let’s see 100 boats at Latin’s, 75 at Squantz even if you were to up that to 250 boats total on a day when every trailer was parked fender to fender. What would be the impact of getting them off the water? If you have 100 tournament boats on the lake what is the real impact of taking 100 of them off? I use that number because the DEP is now only issuing permits for 1/2 the ramp capacity. Let’s do the math 100/6000= 1.6% 100 boats following safety guidelines vs. the 6000 that almost all are being partied on. The crowds DO NOT COME FROM THE STATE RAMPS..just look at the numbers . They come from the moored boats be it marinas, homeowners, or associations. There are too many boats moored on the lake. You also now have people adding to their personal docks so that they can rent the extra space out to others.

I have challenged many a person when they start the safety thing with this little bet. I will give them 100 dollars for every beer they can find in a bass boat that is participating in a bass tournament. They in turn give me 10 dollars for each one I find on a boat being partied on. I can’t seem to find any takers yet. But I am still trying.
SOrry about the long rant this burns my backside a bit.

Have a safe time on the water and may that tight line be pulling back.

A member of Schaghticoke Bassmasters
http://members.tripod.com/~bassmasters_ct/index.html
A member of the TBF. The Bass Federation Tournament Bass Fishing for everyone.
http://www.ct-tbf.com/
#427329 - 01/22/07 11:11 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Loc: Danbury CT
 Quote:
There are too many boats moored on the lake. You also now have people adding to their personal docks so that they can rent the extra space out to others.
very true Lee.
This is becoming more popular. a member from the CLA told me, it is illegal, and they want to limit the # of "crafts" docked or Moored per home. becuase of more and more people renting out Mooring balls out in front of the docks.
#427330 - 01/22/07 11:18 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
mattmann7 Offline

Loc: wethersfield ct
i havent been affiliated with the federation for about 6 years. i remember the number being around 5000 back then. like lee says you still cant launch any more on a given day then what the lots will hold. sounds like the numbers are from the lake itself.
Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics