ctfisherman.com logo
Page 8 of 28 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#917449 - 02/12/08 03:13 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: BigLee]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Thanks BigLee

....If we have any say... Vote for May

Fishing Info
#917450 - 02/12/08 03:14 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: BigLee]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

How do other states handle this same issue?

Anybody know?

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#917451 - 02/12/08 03:14 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Jighead]
buckcall Offline

If it smells like crap and taste like crap it must be crap!!!! I guess I'm the only one that sees we are living under a dictatorship now. They tell us what we can and can not do all to much now a days if you ask me.

Edited by buck-call (02/12/08 03:20 PM)

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
#917585 - 02/12/08 08:01 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: buckcall]
Markus Offline

Loc: East Hampton, CT
Here is an "outsiders" point of view (I'm from eastern CT and have never been on Candlewood)

It's definitely a lake tax, which is kind of understandable. Candlewood seems like a big expensive resource to manage (just look at it on a map it's huge for around here), which is a lot of the local towns to pay for.... on the other hand how much money has the lake made the surrounding towns? Would properties values be as high without the lake, I doubt it. All that being said it's probably more expensive to manage that resource today than any other time in history. We pay attention to a lot more variables nowadays, perhaps this thing has reach a tipping point between cost and benefit and this is the center of the issue in my mind.
The towns carried the financial burden of carrying the cost of management because it was worth the benefit for their property values, and lake users got a free ride. It must have reached a point where the towns are not seeing the benefit for their cost anymore and want the lake users to start paying for their benefits. What a tangled web we weave.
Regardless of cost verse benefit, I would be concerned with where the money is going, what the heck is the Candlewood Lake Authority. Do it's members stand for election or are they appointed? If appointed, who do they answer to towns, the state, both. It needs to be clearly defined and democratic it they are going to be collecting a tax.
#917616 - 02/12/08 09:18 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Markus]
Blown67 Offline
david

I'll pay it, I fish there once a week and if goes towards the upkeep of the lake and helps keep some traffic down I'm in, to think of what I spend on tackle bait and everything else, If they want to charge me 50 bucks a year admission fee to fish I'm in. I fished the tourneys there years ago and still try to fish around tourney boats on the weekends now, no one forced me to go there for tourneys and I don't own any property on the lake or even in the town so I feel I am a guest there and treat it that way while I am there.
#917656 - 02/12/08 10:52 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Blown67]
ScubaSteve Offline
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

Loc: Plainville, CT
Well, here's the way I see it...

Go ahead, CLA, charge us $50/year and here's what happens:
Boat traffic lessens because many decide it is not worth it.
Local stores lose money from people who used to buy food, drinks, ice, and gas before hitting the lake that now feel it is not worth ($$) the trip.
Oh, and your monies are a lot less than you projected, because you have less boaters.
The towns end up paying close to the same because the monies collected by the CLA are not near what they thought they would be.
Homeowners, who thought they were gonna get a break, now are paying what they were before the fee.

In the following years, other housing authorities throughout the state follow suit. To boat/fish within this state gets too expensive for the middle class and below (which we all know make up the majority of the boaters.) The fishing industry within CT tanks because what's the point of buying a boat, paying to register it, paying to put gas into it, buying fishing tackle, buying a fishing license, etc. if you have to pay to get on each individual lake?

Brilliant plan you have there CLA! Somebody want to present the DARWIN Award to these idiots?

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
#917836 - 02/13/08 01:11 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: ScubaSteve]
Bob2 Offline

Loc: Naugatuck, Ct.
If this goes into affect then the money collected should also go for a plan to stock the lake and the STATE should bow out. Let them also run and take over the upkeep of the ramps, which have to be some of the worst anyways.

Bob S.
MUSKY, EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST BAIT.~~~~>"{{{}}}<(
#917846 - 02/13/08 01:33 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Bob2]
buckcall Offline

What's expensive to maintain the lake? The only money going into that lake is on protrolling and trout stocking. Up keep??? Never seen it there before! Trailer your boat in at latins parking lot...you will see the nice job they do to up keep the place! I never seen anything that cost money done to the lake besides the 2 stated above. Public Ramps stink,no trashcans,and it looks like the porto pottys are put there in the beginning of the yr and taking out at the end without every being cleaned once.

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
#917852 - 02/13/08 01:49 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: buckcall]
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
Dave....your unbelievable irrational about this and other state issues. Like PW said, go live in another country (Vietman, China, Mexico, etc) and see how you like that!

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#917880 - 02/13/08 02:17 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: O-BASS]
BASSMANinCT Offline

There was a study begun in 2001 about Candlewood Lake & Squantz Pond that addressed many important issues about the value of the lake to the local communities.

[url=www.ctlakes.org/Economic_Study.pdf]www.ctlakes.org/Economic_Study.pdf[/url]

I htink everyone reading this topic, should download this file, and read it.

The data is very interesting, and quite eye opening as far as boat users on the lake.

I'll post more info I find in the future here as well.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!"

BASSMANinCT
My Fishing Pics Here: http://facebook.com/CameraManSWAIZE
Page 8 of 28 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics