ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#535167 - 01/20/04 10:14 AM Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Mitch P. Offline

There's a lot of safe ice and ice-fishing going on.

But what happens when someone falls in?

It's best to have a plan of action in your mind BEFORE you or someone you're with falls through.

Hopefully you have safety gear (ice picks, rope, life vest, etc.)

But, have you actually pictured in your mind how you'll use it if the time ever came.

I'd be interested in hearing some experiences with getting out alive, and peoples' lists of safety gear.

Someone might learn just one tip or technique and use it to save someone's life if the time ever came.
Fishing Info
#535168 - 01/20/04 11:31 AM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
seeforellen Offline

actually read an article where a guy did a study boots off/boots on ,he said it took too much time and effort to get them off while he could have been using the time to get out of the water,he also said the boots made his feet a lot more bouyant and easier to slide onto the ice.
#535169 - 01/20/04 12:38 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Randy C Offline

I read something similar about the boots. What I read also said his feet stayed warmer keeping the boots on and didn't make much of a difference pulling himself out.

As for me, I have safty picks and a 100' of rope with a boat bumper tied to it. I hope I never have to use it.

Randy

#535170 - 01/20/04 01:13 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
TigerPike Offline

Icce is sharp, you will like having the boots during and aftter the event for sure! I don't think your ability to swim is deminished much with shoes/boots, I took advanced life saving a number of years ago, and one of the things that was stressed was to keep your clothes on for boyancey, now this was in relation to open water, since you are not swiming a long distance I cant see how taking your boots off could be of any value.
#535171 - 01/20/04 01:23 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
TigerPike Offline

My thoughts on how to get out yourself:
focus on moveing forward and stay flat,
try not to climb up, rather crawl forward or maybe sideways and roll sideways after being half on, try to get oout the way you came in bcause the Ice was strong enough to get you there,
Most important focus on the challenge or task you must perform not on your situation...to avoid panic!
#535172 - 01/20/04 01:52 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
square pants Offline

Loc: Northeast CT
I had the misfortune to go thru the ice last yeat at Glasgo Pond in Griswold. I had sneakers on that day because my boots hurt my feet. I broke thru rotten white ice without warning into ten feet of water. Once I realized I wasn't dreaming, (I'm not trying to be funny here- it was my first thought) I realized I had to get up to the surface fast or I wasn't going to. What was probably ten seconds under water seemed like alot more but when I surfaced I was turned towards where I was going in the first place and the ice wouldn't support me. I turned the other way, made my way to my sled which had'nt gone in with me and kicked out onto the ice and lay flat for a few seconds. I then rolled and was able to stand, grabbed the rope to my sled and slowly walked to my car which wasn't far away since this happened at the boat ramp where I parked. I for one, with only the experience of actually going thru the ice as my scientific study, will NEVER wear boots on the ice. Multiple pairs of socks, 3 plastic bags on each foot and sneakers will do the job for me. I don't believe I would be here today if I had my boots on. It would be a rare individual who would have both the presence of mind and the actual time to get off even an untied pair of boots and still get back to the top. I now wear a life vest and always try to have as partner and a plan.
#535173 - 01/20/04 02:02 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I've been through too... I came close to not making it out. Boots or NO BOOTS if the water is over your head, you've got big problems. I knew I was going in after my dog. When I hit the water, all I had on was a turtleneck and underwear. After I got the dog out I was able to keep breaking the ice to get to a point where the ice would support enough of me to get from my waist up on the ice. From there, I was able to kick a leg up and roll. I rolled until I was well away from the thin ice.

For $5.99, there is no excuse in the world not to have a set of ice picks with you. I would have been out in no time at all if I had them that day. Also have a rope with you, mine never leaves the sled... This also came in handy 2 years ago on a cove on the river... Most of you have seen that video :rolleyes: ;\)
#535174 - 01/20/04 02:30 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
I agree, Ice pics would be the way to get out!!
Hopefully I never havet to try them, but hey are always in my pocket, or if on unknown areas around my neck.

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#535175 - 01/20/04 02:46 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
MermaidCT Offline

Loc: SE CT Shoreline
I read on another web site (www.iceshanty.com) that some people go and buy a SURVIVAL SUIT to wear on the ice. It is very warm, and if you go in you will float. Does anyone have any opinions about this??

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques Yves Cousteau

#535176 - 01/20/04 02:47 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Mitch P. Offline

Absolute, unthinkable worst case scenario:

A friend or fellow ice-fisherman near you goes under, and doesn't come up on his own.

What do you do?

This would really send you into panic mode, but it's best to think of it now, and prepare yourself mentally for what you would do.

I've never prepared for this.

One plan would be to keep a section of rope, with a brightly colored, sinkable object to throw down the hole for him to grab onto, so you can pull him up.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Active Topics