ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#535177 - 01/20/04 03:03 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Mitch P. Offline

Mermaid,

I'm certainly not a rescue expert. I started this topic to get people thinking about all possible scenarios in advance.

Tying a rope to yourself to go in after someone, is certainly an option, if there are others to help on the ice. But it's definitely a drastic, highly risky thing.

With most people carrying cell phones, calling 911 should certainly be considered right away if someone is not coming up. But, fire & rescue authorities will probably arrive when it's too late.

As far as the survival suit, it's definitely a good safety measure. I never looked into them. Any idea how much they cost?
Fishing Info
#535178 - 01/20/04 03:11 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
The good ones aren't cheap...

Mustang Suit
#535179 - 01/20/04 03:16 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
MermaidCT Offline

Loc: SE CT Shoreline
Here is an interesting web site I ran across a while back - I went and found it - here is the link:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fishing_articles/ice_fishing_safety_tips.htm

ebay has some:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll...=immersion+suit

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques Yves Cousteau

#535180 - 01/20/04 04:22 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is what I wear, a flotation coverall, not only for safety, but it is well insulated and waterproof. Basically, it is a full body PFD. Warm too.. \:D

Stearns I580
#535181 - 01/20/04 04:40 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
MermaidCT Offline

That's nice Bob!!!! That $300 is worth every cent.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques Yves Cousteau

#535182 - 01/20/04 05:12 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
KP Offline

One thing to remember if you do go through and under the ice is to get your face right up to the bottom of the ice. Numerous air bubbles and air pockets will permit you to take small breaths. Cracks in the ice have much larger air pockets, even small cracks. Plus you can wedge your hand into the cracks to keep yourself from sinking. The object is if you can't find your way back to where you broke through, as is the case in lakes or rivers with current, you at least make yourself visable to those looking for you.

I've been through several times always trying to get on early ice. The first time was the worst because I was not prepared. However when I went through, my arms must have automatically extended out from my sides which kept me from going completely under. My one piece snowmobil suit at first became a big float long enough for me to figure out where I was and roll back up on the ice. What made it diffecult was my suit began to get saturated, weighing me back down and causing me to panic. I was screaming for help as loud as I could while rolling onto the ice. And rolling and screaming and rolling. I finally layed spread eagle and calmed down. Never did see anyone and had a tough time getting back to the car. Luckily I was not far off shore.

Now when I go out on first ice, I tell my wife or neighbor where I'm going, where I plan to fish, and how long I'll be. Also leave a large note on the dash of the car with the same info. I wear a life jacket and ice picks. I use a long tow rope for my sled so it doesn't go through with me. In the sled I have two throwable cushions, one with 50 feet of thick yellow nylon rope that floats. I also keep my cell phone in the sled, not on me. When I've gone in I first pull the sled towards me to get the cushion without rope and then push the sled the tow rope length away. Then I use the picks to get out. You want that extra flotaion in case you keep breaking through ice with the picks while your jacket and pants or suit get saturated. The entire process sounds long but only takes seconds. Pushing the sled away gives someone else the chance to save you with the other cushion and rope in case you can't get back on the ice. Keeping the sled at rope length away allows you to pull it back toward you to call with your phone. Also, treating your snowsuit, pants, and jacket with water repelent spray each year slows the saturation time. I learned all this from a Paramedic in Minnesota that taught ice fishing safety classes. He had lost a brother ice fishing and had been through himself. Preparation and knowing exactly what your going to do makes the whole experience much less stressful.

It's been 9 years since I've been in but I was on a streak there for awhile. Of course the obvious is always try to take someone with you. But I can never seem to get another idiot to go out on 2 inches of clear ice with me.

KP
#535183 - 01/20/04 05:47 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
SEADOG2 Offline

Excellent subject Mitch - I've always wondered exactly what happens if you go through ,or worse yet,going through and getting pulled under the ice if there is a current.Having picks is a no-brainer,but in the event someone goes under and there is snow cover how the heck do you see someone underneath in those conditions? There was also an idea mentioned above about sinking something bright down -might even be able to affix a large glowstick.Have it pre-tied on the end of the rope

Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot. Says, "son, make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages." I said, "Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world." And by God I was right.
#535184 - 01/20/04 05:48 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
MermaidCT Offline

Jeez..... I've got to rethink all this.....

I've heard badminton is a nice sport........ ;\) \:D

Don't mean to make light of a serious subject - this is a great thread and very informative.

#535185 - 01/20/04 07:54 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
River Rat Doug Offline

Don't forget 911!!! Activate the emergency system. Many towns especially towns with large bodies of water have Ice rescue teams that practice for these exact emergencies. Being a rescue chief keeping a calm head in these situations goes along way to surviving. Also you don't want to end up in the water trying to save another. Now there are two people who need rescue.
Having a plan is the best way to go. Some cheap ice pics and a 100' length of rope with a large eye splice in the end is a great start. I say have an eye splice because hypothermia starts at the extremities. The person in the water may not be able to grab the rope, but if they can get a hand through the eyesplice and get it up to the elbow you will have a good chance of getting some leverage to pull them out.

Follow me to field and mountain, follow me to wriggling streams, to a world that embraces free open spaces, come and follow me!!!
#535186 - 01/20/04 08:26 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
OCALA SWAMP~MAN Offline

Loc: FLORIDA,~OCALA
Mitch--great topic and i read the lengthy article-but a review was in order...One thing in my favor---having not missed a meal in a few decades-"have built in bouyancy and insulation"...98% of my ice fishing has been after the toothy fellow at Bantam for some yrs now...and its been in shallow water.But a few yrs.ago i wanted to expand my ice jigging--which meant going on lakes i did not know well...And it was adventures on my own..Once i knew where i was going--i would look at a map. Besides what the drop-offs looked-like-i was looking for moving water and springs. When i arrive at a new lake.i always would go to where fisherman are and stay in that area and ask alot of questions pertaining to safety issues. I would always have a spud-plus 45ft of ski rope with handle that pulls my sled with a boat flotation cushion..nice to sit on also...Reading this article reminds me to start taking the cushion out again. I have'nt abandoned my spud yet...My biggest concern is getting out of the hole..i always carry my ice picks-but 225lbs+clothes{dry wgt.} and getting on in years --The$300+ for a suit that Rob.V has- sounds like a great investment.The bib bottoms and wind breaker{UCONN LOGO} thats been my outerwear for many years-cost more than $300..I think i'd feel mentally and physically alot better prepared than i am now..

TJV--Squantz Pond WAS my PLAY-GROUND for 16 yrs...Haven't found that sweet Florida fishin hole yet since i moved to Florida 10/1/07. ~~
PS~~Above animation avatar is me hooked into a 12FT. GATOR~~~~~
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Active Topics