Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#535217 - 01/07/05 08:28 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Mitch P. Offline

Bump.
Fishing Info
#535218 - 01/22/05 02:40 AM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
doulblelunger Offline

the other day we tied a rope to us and dragged it when we felt scared to get a tip up...if you go under and a long rope is tied it might help you find entry hole or help pull you out..

Becarful
#535219 - 02/08/05 01:27 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
EnCon Police Offline

Just wanted to let all of you know, and thank you for the idea, we have put together Ice Safety handouts and cards for giveaways at shows and talks.

Reading this thread got me thinking about the safety of the public along with our officers when they are on the ice checking fishermen. As a result I obtained info from Minnesota DNR and Pennsylvania Fish & Boat that the DEP Office of Communications combined into a multipage handout.
I also purchased the retractable ice safety picks for all of our officers which have been issued to them. We are sending two of our officers to an ice rescue training program in Morris later this month and they are going to take that information and develop an ice safety/rescue program for our officers.

The handouts will be making their public debut at the Hunting & Fishing Expo in Hartford this month.

Thanks for the idea! Hopefully the info may save someone's life - or keep them from going through the ice in the first place.
#535220 - 12/18/05 11:10 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
EnCon Police Offline

Seeing that the ice has thickened up to the point that a lot of you are going back onto the ice, I thought it would be appropriate to give this thread a bump. Hopefully everyone will take a couple of minutes to read through it as a "tune-up" for ice safety.

Have fun, but please be safe....let's not meet by accident.
#535221 - 12/07/06 12:11 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Mitch P. Offline

Bump.
#535222 - 02/04/07 06:45 AM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
MattW203 Offline

they should sell a rope later that you nail in to the ice
#535223 - 02/04/07 06:45 AM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
MattW203 Offline

they should sell a rope later that you nail in to the ice
#535224 - 02/04/07 01:50 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
xpress1 Offline

I saw a video by the DEP that also said if you tried several times and can't get out, lay your arms on the ice and let the coat freeze there in case you become unconscious. There have been several rescues made because the person did not sink, and was saved awaiting help.
#535225 - 02/09/07 01:54 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
JMike Offline

Great topic, lots of good info here. Best of all, it has us all thinking a little more. But there's one point that seems to have been missed a little bit (unless I missed it). Suggestions were made about what to do for "the other guy" who falls through; also, if you fall through, getting your face up to the ice where searchers can see it (if you haven't found the hole). If someone's already fallen through, would not that indicate there's already a real problem in that area? So any searching or attempts to drop something into the hole to help would mean the rescuers would have to be operating in a pretty dangerous area, no? The main theme here is being prepared. $300 for a suit is cheap. Its not like you have to get a new one every year. Tag lines to shore or at least something else less apt to sink (sleds, sheds, etc)and picks should do it. A small detail on the picks-keep them hanging outside your clothing somewhere easy and quick to grab. If they're buried in a pocket with some spare jerky and pipe tobacco, you'll never get at them when you need to.
#535226 - 02/09/07 10:19 PM Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never gone thru but do take necessary precautions. Another critical piece of gear you shoud have is a noise making device. I keep a whistle on my co2 inflatable vest and keep the ice pics around my neck. A small canned sound horn is also good. The sound making device is necessary of course if nobody is close enough to see or hear you go thru. It would be ashame to struggle to get out by yourself while your buddies are in the ice shack and have no idea you have gone thru. \:o
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Active Topics