ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#615987 - 01/15/05 10:14 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
gerg Offline

CaptBill, that is very interesting. Why then do they sell Type I vests not only without a whistle and a light, but without an obvious place to add them?

I know the answer, but it's appalling anyway.

Well behaved boats rarely make history.....
Fishing Info
#615988 - 01/18/05 10:17 AM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
Captbillb Offline

Loc: Grassy Key, Islamorada, Deerfi...
Greg,
Simply math, the U.S.C.G. requies that the lights have to be S.O.L.A.S. certifield which drives up the cost:
http://www.sailgb.com/c/lifejacket_lights_spares_rescue_lights/
Whistles (sound making devices) also add to the cost.
Although you can shop around (West Marine, etc.), it'll still cost you some serious amounts of cash to properly equip a passenger carrying vessel according to S.O.L.A.S. standards.
All of the Regs regarding lifejackets can be found at this site:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:3mU...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
All lifejackets must 'accessible' and be in 'serviceable conditions,' at all times, as well. (Loose threads, loss of reflectivity, oil stains, etc. and they're no good.)
You loop the lanyard of the lights and/or whistles through the two small loops that many of the better Class I jackets have.
It's a given that you're going to spend at least $350- $400.00 for a six pack charterboat's required lifejackets without 'going too far overboard' (very bad pun).
#615989 - 05/09/05 07:50 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
hoog23 Offline

Pros and Cons of mounting a life raft to the front deck?

We just received a winslow coastal life raft that we bought at the miami show.

The canister is much larger than the valise/Pelican case that was displayed at the show.

What are the pros and cons of mounting it to the front deck on a cradle vs stowing it below? I can think of visibility and weight (~75 lbs) vs trying to find some room for it below. It also may be difficult to reach and launch in heavy seas on the deck. We haven't bought a hydrostatic release yet.

Another option would be to mount it on the lowest level of the tower - would require some custom fabrication though.
#615990 - 05/09/05 11:06 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
Captbillb Offline

Hoog,
The cradle up front is probably the way to go as the bow is usually the last part of the boat to go under (an air bubble usually ends up in the forepeak) in a 'normal' sinking (allowing for a manual deployment), or a clear shot if it's an automatic deployment (hydrostatic). However, as noted, in really horrendous storms, that's a tough place to ask anyone to go and perform the necessary launching procedures if you go with the manual option.
However, that placement in a rollover/broach would still allow you to have it deploy cleanly, and if it's calm enough, you'd probably be able to reach it to deploy (if the release doesn't work), even if you had to dive to get at it. The negative side of the coin, as you noted, is that it will interfere with your forward visibility if you're running an express/cabin style of boat.
Putting it under the tower supports is risky as there's a real chance that it'll get hung up if it deploys automatically (hydrostatic release) if you roll or go down quickly.
The other option, keeping it down below means that you've got to find space where you can reach it quickly and get the HEAVY and unwieldy container out onto the deck in a rush (sometimes not possible with an engine room fire).
With the many boats that I've run, the bow mount option was the most favored placement for the hard sided rafts on cradles.
The best advice that can be offered is to have the raft serviced annually and hope that it never comes down to using it. However, the simple question of 'How much is your life worth?' is the determining factor when it comes to onboard safety equipment. Don't overlook launching drills with some of your regular crew members as, when the fecal matter hits the fan, you just might be a little busy keeping things together long enough to get the raft ready to go. Also, have a 'sink/grab bag' with all kinds of survival goodies (Handheld flares, GPS, VHF, mirror, strobe, whistle, water, and energy bars) at the ready in an easy to reach place so that if the unexpected occurs, you've got a better chance of both survival and rescue.
#615991 - 05/11/05 04:45 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
hoog23 Offline

Thanks for the reply!

Boat is a 32' combi and (even with some customizing of the trim tabs) likes to ride with the bow up pretty high unless running at full cruise rpm's. So I'd hate to put it on the cabin top/deck. But even with a rather large bottle of halon in the engine room I agree that a fire is a possibility (like fuel hitting turbo) and wouldn't want to keep it down below.

The front of the lowest level of the tower (soft top) protrudes out towards the bow enough from the next level up (floor of the tower) that I would think that something could be fabricated to mount the bracket to. Radar is on the next level up as well so the canister wouldn't be in the way of the beam.

We already have a stocked ditch bag as well as two epirb's (figured we'd just keep the older generation cat 1 in its bracket or else we would have to patch the holes).

What is your opinion of SSB vs Sat phone? We have only been running to the near offshore the last few season but would like to hit the canyons if the fish (and regulations) cooperate.
#615992 - 05/11/05 05:20 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
fishingoffshore Offline

Loc: South Central Connecticut
Bill hope you do not mind my putting in my 2cents. From a Coast Guard Auxilarist point. SSB in the event of a distress call the Coast Guard can triangulate your position.

FISHING - Gentle winds and calm seas, and fish being caught. LIFE IS GOOD!

Jeff
#615993 - 05/13/05 10:21 AM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
Captbillb Offline

Jeff & Hoog,
Yep,, you're 100% correct, a SSB is definitely a worth-while investment. Many of the boats that I've taken to the canyons and other distant places in the world were so equipped. Basically a ham (150 W) setup on the boat with vast transmitting capability. If you've got to scream for help, it's nice to know that you're putting out a signal that can be heard a long ways off.
The only problem with SSB's is that, unless you're running frequently to canyons or doing MANY offshore trips, the cost of a SSB and antennae system that performs well will be roughly around $1500.00 on the low end of the spectrum (with simplex and duplex channel capability). Some are cheaper,, but you generally pay more for performance and ease of operation with the SSB sets. You also must have the space and capability on a boat to install the big wand. The majority of the boats on this board don't fall within that category.
Mega-yachts have satellite communications systems that cost $$$$- big domes on big boats. They are the ultimate communications setup,, but space, size, and price would preclude this option for most everyone on the CTF board.
Top end VHF's will reach out as far as 50 miles,, boat to boat,, on a GOOD day with an antennae mounted with good height (transmission distance being a function of height).
It'd be even odds if the CG would hear you on a rough day if you're more than that distance off. I'm typically in contact with several other boats well within 25 miles of my position on the VHF at all times- passing along fishing info or just gabbing 'on the side.' That's one of the nice things about having a multitude of 'buddies' while out upon the water,, you know that they'll probably reach you before the CG can if you get into trouble.
Sat phones have come down considerably in price,, and if you use them judiciously,, they're cost effective as you can take them wherever you might roam- land or sea. When I'm fishing out of the Keys- down into the Carribbean areas- we've found that the majority of guys who're heading well offshore have gone over to the handheld satellite phones, even with SSB aboard because of the ease, privacy, and clarity of signal. I've used them on many occassions and found that they perform pretty well, but you'll quickly learn that battery life is the most important consideration when using them. AC/DC battery chargers come with the package,, but if you go for a ride in the raft,, that option would be out of the question so be sure that you know how long the battery will hold a charge, both in use and/or storage.
Cell phones are totally 'iffy' while upon the bounding blue (other than LIS) although I've had surprisingly good service from well offshore. However, I've frequently gone into a 'roam' mode since I'm being picked up by other providers' toweres and got charged $$ for it (even though I've got nationwide service with my cell plan) and then had to battle Verizon to get the charges deleted. However, I wouldn't bet my life on a cell phone while upon the offshore arena on the outside of BI or Montauk.
From a practical standpoint, I'd go with a raft, sat phone, and the best 406 EPIRB with GPS positioning capability as my primary locater (which will be nearly instantly triangluated and allow them to come up with encripted name of vessel, operator, homeport, and contact numbers- if it's registered),, with a SSB- if and when you can afford it.
Personally, I have a raft, two 121.5's, and a 406- certified and current- EPIRBs aboard. (along with three bridge VHF's; and a handheld VHF in the ditch bag).
#615994 - 06/22/05 10:26 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
mikek06511 Offline

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/epirb/
The above link is for Boat US EPIRB rentals.
$50 per week is nothing compared to the cost of the rest of the trip.
With some folks thinking it might be time to try offshore in boats that probably aren't outfitted the way they should be this is another option to look into!
#615995 - 08/31/05 10:26 AM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
Reel-Time Offline

Lots of great info here!

One important thing I learned from free flare day...

Parachute Flares!!! Keep them in your ditch bag. Expensive, but well worth the investment. Look for 75,000 candela with a burn time of 30 seconds. They are about $70 for three.

Last Cast! Fish till you die!
#615996 - 04/04/06 01:55 PM Re: **** Offshore Safety Tips ****
MermaidCT Offline

Loc: SE CT Shoreline
Float plan info from a FL offshore site - to print out and leave with someone on shore. Anything missing??

FLOAT PLAN

-- Operator of Vessel (name/home phone/cell phone)
-- Date of Departure:
-- Departure Port:
-- Destination, Estimated Date and Time of Arrival or Return (circle):
-- Route Planned (GPS Waypoints in Lat/Long Recommended):
-- Passengers (names/ages/tel #s)
-- On-Shore Contact (name/tel#)
-- Important/related Telephone Numbers (CG, etc.)
-- Vessel (name/year/type/model/LOA/hull color):
-- vessel State & Registration #:
-- Engine(s):
-- Fuel Capacity:
-- Radios: VHF, list monitoring channel
-- Safety Equipment on Board (Include EPIRB info.):
-- Automobile at Dock: (make/model/license/color):
-- Boat Trailer (license/type)

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques Yves Cousteau

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Editors 

Active Topics