ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#658444 - 10/26/05 05:37 PM Mountain Lion?
alanr Offline

Rumor of course, but I heard that a cow was found partially consumed by a mountain lion in Woodstock and that it was confirmed by the DEP. I see nothing in the news. Can the DEP comment on this?
Fishing Info
#658445 - 10/26/05 08:16 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
EnCon Police Offline

First I have heard about it. So far all our "Mountain Lion" sightings have turned out to be Bobcats, Lynxs, large house cats, the occasional yellow Lab and a Caracol or two.

Of all the calls we have received reporting a mountain lion nobody has been able to supply us with a photo, hair, footprint or scat left by the animal. So, until then we are still considering the Bobcat/Lynx, yellow lab sightings to be the cause.

Coyotes will eat cows if they are hungry enough and gang up on the cow. A couple of years ago a pack of coyotes attacked and killed a Siberian Husky that was on a run in someone's back yard in the eastern part of the state.
#658446 - 10/26/05 08:26 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Probily a mountain lion...Same thing happened in East Granby a few years back and the dep was called out...According to that c.o. he told the farmer, according to the state of connecticut, there are no mountain lions in connecitut THEY ARE HERE!!! It`s just a matter of time before there is an attack!

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#658447 - 10/26/05 09:29 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
EnCon Police Offline

When someone shows me a photo, or the cat, then I'll believe it. All our reports are from people looking out their back windows. I don't know of any hunters who have seen them and to me that means something with all the time they spend in the woods.

Check out this link for a picture of a caracal. If you saw this in your backyard, what would you think it is? These weigh in at about 40lbs.

http://www.cites.org/gallery/species/mammal/caracal.html

This is the type of animal I caught in Southbury about 9 years ago. It was a pet that had been declawed. They grow to about 40lbs and other than the ear tufts they look like a mountain lion from the side. A lot of people have them around the country. They are legal in other states, not so here in CT. Still, some people in CT have them as pets. When they get too big or nasty, some people just open the door and "let the cat out".
#658448 - 10/27/05 04:01 AM Re: Mountain Lion?
JignPign Offline

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but what will happen if you shot one?.. will the DEP happy or will you be arrested
#658449 - 10/27/05 12:25 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
SEADOG2 Offline

Enconn - the caracal defenetely looks like a mointain lion.I could see now how the two can be mixed up.Are these caracal's sightings/capture's strictly loose pets or do these things wander naturally into the state now and then?

Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot. Says, "son, make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages." I said, "Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world." And by God I was right.
#658450 - 10/27/05 02:51 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
EnCon Police Offline

It is illegal to shoot a mountain lion unless it is attacking you, another person, family pet or livestock.

26-66-3. Open hunting seasons and bag limits for upland game birds and quadrupeds (f) There shall be no open season on Hungarian partridge, northern and southern flying squirrel, mink, moose, muskrat, beaver, otter, Canada lynx, harbor seal, pine marten, Indiana bat, black bear, fisher, bobcat and mountain lion (felis concolor).

Caracals are not native to North America. They are imported (legally in some states) as part of the exotic pet trade. It is illegal to possess a Caracal in Connecticut. The one I caught was being transported from Oregon to New Hampshire, but escaped when the owner stopped in Connecticut. I am sure that there are other ones in private possession in Connecticut as we have captured them in other parts of the state. When they get large (40lbs) and unfriendly, some escape and others are released by the owners without regard to what damage the cat will do in our environment.
#658451 - 10/27/05 05:00 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
dlt01 Offline

I have to agree with EnCon, I have spent a big part of my life in the woods and I have never even seen a track. I have seen plenty of bobcat tracks in the snow but never a mountain lion's. I have even seen a black bear and a couple of moose in Connecticut.

After viewing the photo of the caracal I can see how it could easily be mistaken for a mountain lion. Thanks for sharing that EnCon!
#658452 - 10/27/05 05:12 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
SEADOG2 Offline

Could defenetely have been coyotes that tore into that cow.They get very brave when they pack up.I camped in a nearby forest two years ago with my dog { no tent just sleeping bag} and I woke up at around 11pm to see coyotes circling around me.My sheperd was going nuts.The coyotes got a bit too close for comfort so I packed it up.That year I heard that pack almost nightly ,howling and yelping for hours late at night.

Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot. Says, "son, make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages." I said, "Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world." And by God I was right.
#658453 - 10/27/05 09:14 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
Buck Offline

A pack of coyotes versus a siberian husky, that must have been some fight. I watched two coyotes pair off against a huge rottweiler from a deer stand once and it was a standoff. More than one at a time and they are very bold.
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics