ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#69116 - 05/24/04 02:19 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Huskybass Offline

Don P.,

Your Quote:"If you fish Rogers with BIG crank baits, BIG topwaters, BIG live baits you should get into 7#-10#+ largemouth without too much trouble."

While I admire your enthusiasm, Your statement is not supported by any tangible evidence. There is no such thing as an easy 7 pound plus largemouth in CT. I have caught one that big in 30 plus years of fishing CT, and I get my share of "big" bass.

While Roger's produces some nice bass, I don't recall anything close to 10 pounds being caught there. My top six picks for large bass in CT are:

Long Pond, Amos Lake, Billings, Beach Pond, Lake Quassapaug and Taunton Lake. Moodus has dropped off considerably in recent years, but produced dozens of trophies in the 70's and 80's.

Remember, a 6 lb. largemouth is a TROPHY in CT, and 10 pound bass are very seldom caught in CT.

Huskybass

Huskybass

Got Peacocks?
Fishing Info
#69117 - 05/24/04 02:33 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike: Have you fished Rogers? I have....and I am NO LMB fisherman....have put in very little time there and have scored BIG LMB there.

I am sure everyone has there favorites.....but if this salt can catch at Rogers you freshwater LMB pros should have NO PROBLEM!

I have seen, heard and caught LMB from 7-10 #s at Rogers.

Rogers is were I would personally go.....very productive and damn close!

So when we smallmouth fishing Gardners Mike?????!!!!!!!!! \:\)
#69118 - 05/24/04 02:42 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Huskybass Offline

Don,

I was on Rogers yesterday, I know it fairly well, it is not in the same league as the six lakes I mentioned above. I'm sure that there are plenty of 3 to 6 pound bass in there, but 7-10 is a whole different category. Between Jighead and I we have caught 2 or 3 largemouth over 7 pounds in our entire lives. Even a 5 pound largemouth looks huge, and is often reported as a 7 or 8 pound bass. Look at Jighead's post from last week, he posted a photo of a 5 pound bass and asked for guesses as to weight, he got many responses that said 7 to 9 pounds.

As far as Gardner goes, it was great while you were in FLA, I'm hitting it again on Weds afternoon, if its good still we will schedule a trip ASAP. Lets get a few that look like this: \:\) \:\) \:\)

Mike

Huskybass

Got Peacocks?
#69119 - 05/24/04 02:49 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm ready!
#69120 - 05/24/04 03:12 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
On The Edge Offline

Loc: MA.
I agree with huskybass. 7# to 10#+ LM are just not as common as we would all like to think. Although they are out there and i have no dought that many Conn. lakes and rivers hole a record breaker, to even assume that any one body of water in NE holds a large enough population that you "should be into them with no problem" is just not realistic. Besides if there are that many large bass in one lake it stands to reason that a reacord would have come from there, or there would be reports of near record Bass being caught. Remember the fishing Grapevine is fast and furious.

Catch Um Up

John
#69121 - 05/24/04 03:18 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
seeforellen Offline

long pond,and rogers without a doubt,use something big resembling a rainbow trout for your best chance,ive seen 10 pound plus attack trout at both places.
#69122 - 05/24/04 04:32 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seeforellen.....I'm done trying to convince these guys. You too? \:D More 7-10# LMB for us I guess! \:\) \:\) \:\)
#69123 - 05/24/04 07:52 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Huskybass Offline

Don P.,

I'll bet you a custom rod that you don't get a largemouth over 7 pounds (on a certified scale) this year. Deal?

For reference purposes, this is a 5 pound largemouth caught by Jighead, a 7 pounder is 40% larger. 40% larger:

Huskybass

Huskybass

Got Peacocks?
#69124 - 05/24/04 08:27 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Mitch P. Offline

Don P.,

Worry about your quest for a 50” striper, before you take on something more challenging -- like a 7-lb. largemouth bass. Even if you employed your usual simpleton tactics – dunking bait – a 7-lber. is out of your league. And your casual talk of 10-pounders is just blasphemy. \:D

I’m upping the ante. If you catch a 7-lb. largemouth this year (again, on a certified scale) I’ll send you a cold, crisp fifty dollar bill. Deal?
#69125 - 05/24/04 08:33 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
BLUECHIP Offline

Loc: Old Lyme
wow Don this sounds like a challenge!!!!!

chris
Page 2 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jess Caraballo 

Active Topics