ctfisherman.com logo
Page 4 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#69136 - 05/25/04 01:18 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
StCroix42 Offline

Back a few years, when I was 16/17, I uesd to mountain bike the West Hartford Res 4-5 days a week.

On days when they would move water, there was this one res(can't remember the #), that huge bass would just stack up in the flow.

When I say huge, I mean there were DEFINITELY several in the 9+ range.

My friends and I would just sit there, watch them and contemplate how to get a rod in there to try to catch them.(we never did though)

I realize these are ideal conditions,(very clean water/no fishing pressure)but I would have to think they're out there somewhere, where you could catch them.

Then again, I'm a trout fisherman and rarely ever fish for largemouth. What do I know.

Just like I'm sure there's a record brown somewhere in Ct, but until someone gets lucky and catches it, there's no proof.

just my 2 cents.

StCroix42
Fishing Info
#69137 - 05/25/04 01:32 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Joe.G Offline

Big baits do not necessarly mean big fish. I have caught four LMB in the 7 lb range all on a three inch bait..One 8.6 that came on a jig which is only three inces as well. Good luck in your quest Don but it appears that Huskybass will be gettin a new smb rod.

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

http://www.stalkerbait.com/

#69138 - 05/25/04 01:42 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like I said...I am no LMB fisherman and rarely fish fresh, but I will try to get out to Rogers at least once to win the bet! \:D
#69139 - 05/25/04 01:45 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Speed Demon Offline

Two or three years ago a 9 plus was caught and verified out of coventry lake. I have seen fish in there BIGGER than that with my own eyes on severaL occasions. I have seen 6 pound smallies taken there as well......

"Work is for people who do not know how to fish"
#69140 - 05/25/04 01:57 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
how to catch a bass over 7lbs.
1. fish from 10pm-2am
2. fish a underfished bass pond that has large sunfish, not a lake
3. use a large jitterbug.
4.use 14lbtest.
5.bring a net.
6. collect $50. bucks from mitch.

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
#69141 - 05/25/04 02:11 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Bob G Offline

Loc: i fell off the rails
A 10 pounder came out of Long Pond within the last two years.

Nothing is finer than being in South Carolina
#69142 - 05/25/04 03:16 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
JoeV Offline

Nepaug
Barkhamstead
Compensating below the Barkhamstead dam.
Fishing dusk till dawn.
Just dont get caught \:D
Old reservoir dog.Too many 5-6 pd fish to even count a few bigger back in the day when I could still out run the MDC.Now I am old and slow so I stay away.
I have caught more big fish from small ponds and reservoirs wet wading than I ever did from a bass boat on any of the better known lakes.
So can I get in on this 7 pd deal.How about if I catch it off my kayak \:D

JoeV
#69143 - 05/25/04 04:34 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
RichZ Offline

Geezer

Loc: CT
This talk of Rogers and giant bass reminds me of something. Many, many years ago, (in the early 70s) I was writing an article on big bass waters. A friend of mine who is not a fisherman stopped by and saw the mountain of lake studies, catch records, maps, etc. I was using for data accumulation in those old, pre-PC days, and found it interesting. He asked me to describe the perfect lake to produce the next CT Record. I decribed the size, depths, structural configuration, water quality, fertility, vegetation profile and forage base I considered ideal. He asked where the lake closest to that combination was, and I opened the old "blue book" to Rogers Lake. I had never been there, but fell in love with it "in theory".

The next morning, I was at Rogers. And wouldn't you know it, that very first day there, I caught a 7-4! Caught it 'bulging' and old, yellow and white, scorpion spinerbait on the insdie weed edge. I fished Rogers a lot over the next several years, and never got another 7. Lots of "heavy sixes" but nary another verified 7. Caught the LONGEST bass I'd ever caught there a few years later (just under 26 inches) -- but it was all head and length and only weighed 5-1/2 pounds.

In retrospect, I've caught more 7 pounders out of Lillinonah than Rogers, and I would never expect a 10 from there. In the old days, I would have said Mudge was the best bet, but not any more it's still a great lake, but it doesn't turn out the size like it used to. I caught one a bit under 8 there this year, and it was the largest I'd caught there in 12 years.

My largest CT bass came from Winchester. But that lake has changed so much that I'd be shocked to ever see that size fish there again. In the 70s and 80s, you might only get bit 4 or 5 times a day there, but at least one of the fish was likely to be over 6. Now you it's more common to catch a snotload of little fish there than one or two big ones.

My picks for the best shot at a double digit fish -- E. Twin (the first generation or two of LM reaching 12 inches or so after the introduction of alewives in any lake show tremendous growth rates, that first generation in Twin should be 10 to 12 years old now. That's about the minimum age you could expect a 9 pound plus fish to be in our latitude, so it could happen there in the next couple years); Taunton or Quassapaug (both have lots of trout stocked to feed big bass that get ignored by the bulk of the anglers that have access to the lakes), and Wononscopomuc (the boat regulations and late start time keep the serious bass pressure to a minimum).

RichZ

Everybody's got to believe something — I believe I'll go fishing.

Check out my Bass Blog.
#69144 - 05/25/04 01:33 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

RichZ, Checked out your site. Very nice writting and info.

I go through phases in my fishing. Target trout, SMB, even biggest sunny. I did target BIG LM bass for some time. Doing some crazy stuff to produce trophies. Like dragging a 12” x ¾” wide black rubber ell like thing with a single blue fishhook in the head across the bottom of many lakes and ponds. Cast it all night long gazing into the darkness. Not the most productive fishing I have done. I would go several times without a hit. But the hits it produced were fish over 8lbs. I have also scuba dived in Candlewood a few other lakes. You would never believe what’s down there until you see it for your own eyes. Trophy fish don’t get to be trophies from making mistakes. And most trophy fish die of natural causes not fisherman. When you lock into a giant fish it’s senses have started to break down like an old person or it would have never taken your bait. Where’s the next monster from? Hell if I know. Where are trophy size LMB? In many lakes and ponds in CT. You need to start targeting them to produce some. Just casting your normal lures or sitting around watch your worm drowned isn’t going to produce a wall mount size fish. But even a blind pig can find a nice truffle. And I really HATE to admit this but bait has a much better chance of producing a trophy fish.
My biggest LMB in CT runs 9lbs 2oz SMB 6lbs 10oz. I think a couple other SMB have gone a little over that but I didn’t have a scale. All fish released so others can hunt for them. Happy hunting.
#69145 - 05/25/04 02:49 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!!
On The Edge Offline

Loc: MA.
Huskybass I will put up $50.00 toward rod for the person with a 7lb+ LM bass.

Keep in mind guys the Conn Record LM Bass is 12lb 14oz taken @ Mashapaug Lake in Union in 1961. And pre spawn bass full of eggs are heavier then empty post spawn bass. Good Luck

Catch Um Up

John
Page 4 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jess Caraballo 

Active Topics