Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1476785 - 02/07/13 02:02 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Mark S. Offline

20 years at my company..
5 weeks paid vacation...
6 paid personal days....
2 paid floating holidays.
New Years Eve /Day , MLK Day , Memorial Day , 4th of July , Labor Day , Thansgiving and the day after , Christmas Eve/ Day ALL PAID DAYS OFF.
Live 3.1 miles from my work place.
Decent salary. Paid for my house, put 2 kids thru college...
Tough to leave something like that and relocate.
Retirement might be a different song.
Fishing Info
#1476802 - 02/07/13 02:45 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
AT Offline

Loc: Trumbull, CT
10 great years at my company - I love my job as a photographer

5 weeks paid vacation
PLUS
New Years Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Friday before and Memorial Day, 2-3 days for July 4th, 2 floating summer fridays, Friday before and Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving and Friday after, XMas Eve, XMas and usually a couple days either side

Great public transportation for commute via MTA

Fantastic schools and community in Trumbull for my three rugrats

I was born here and moved back after time in VA, CO & NYC

The ability to fish for trout and/or stripers and/or waterfowl hunt within an hours drive

Spring, Summer & Autumn are fantastic - I imagine winter will be a bit more fun once the kids are big enough to ski more

Friends and Family nearby

Go

Fish
#1476844 - 02/07/13 06:10 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
SaltyVeins Offline

Loc: Groton, CT
Here for grad school. After four years inland for college it's great to be back on the coast. I love New England in general, and I am enjoying the southeastern part of the state so far.
#1476850 - 02/07/13 06:49 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
glennjo47 Offline

My house in Branford on 1/3 acre taxes were $7700 a year-tired of the cold -taking care of the snow- moved to South Carolina on 35 acres - 4 bdrm house built in 2000-inground pool -1 acre fish pond -turkey and deer on property oh and my taxes are under $500 per year- people are friendly -less traffic -better weather
Seeya CT
Glenn
#1476873 - 02/07/13 08:19 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
OHMYGOD Offline

Loc: Suffield Ct
ask me again in 24 hours.................. smile1

WAVEWALK DEMO AGENT:
Send me a message if you want to try the W500,W700 and soon the S4.

You can take what you want from life......As long as you give a little Back.
"We never get over the fishing fever, it's a delightful disease and thank the lord there is no cure".
"CTF, is a lure I can not afford to NOT have in my pocket"

Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Our freedoms are being choked, big brother's grip is getting tighter.

http://wavewalk.com/Connecticut_Fishing_Kayak_Review_22.html

#1476878 - 02/07/13 08:33 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
I have lived in Middletown, East Hartford, Colchester, New London and Ledyard.

I must say though, SE CT I really did like. I lived right on the Mystic/Ledyard border. Beautiful area. With the ocean so close I definately enjoyed being a hardcore surf fisherman.

WWJD ?

#1476908 - 02/07/13 09:36 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
Ragtopman Offline

Loc: Wallingford, Moultonborough NH
Sadly I left moved to Maryland on the water loved it came back to save a few bucks to move to the Florida Keys. Got drunk one night ended up married shortly after. House, kids and a wife that says NOT HAPPENING right now anyway. We do have 21 acres in New Hampshire that keep my hopes up for now but... The Keys do still call

Edited by Ragtopman (02/07/13 09:37 PM)

Genuine adventure isn't available mail order. It isn't delivered to your door like pizza. You have to apply imagination and actively seek the extraordinary if you want great barroom stories
Almost everyone has a golden recollection in their past, from which they draw to refuel life in the present. Very often, those memories are the product of instinctive initiative and some stretch of their imagination- a few moments in their life when they chose to believe in the impossible.
~ Kansas Stamps
#1476913 - 02/07/13 09:43 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
COBRA BAIT Offline

Why is a Sad Shad Sad?

Loc: Haddam sweet Haddam
ct river. i grew up on it and in the area around. just like the area, i can run to the sound or not far to the ocean, i generally just like the area i live in. i have traveled a fair amount and been to a lot of areas but just really love this area. a lot of things drive me nuts about the state but i couldnt see myself packing up and moving to unkown area. i dont think i could afford a move and my kids anxiety keeps us from even going on vacation.
#1477314 - 02/08/13 07:51 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: COBRA BAIT]
DEN Offline

Loc: Newington
Folks are fleeing

most of the top-10 states people are leaving are located in the Northeast and Great Lakes regions, including Illinois (60%), New York (58%), Michigan (58%), Maine (56%), Connecticut (56%) and Wisconsin (55%). According to Stoll, this reflects a consistent trend of migration from the Frost Belt to the Sun Belt states based on a combination of causes.
#1477402 - 02/09/13 09:40 AM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
MattK Offline

I moved to CT from suburban NY in 2001 because we could buy 2x the house for 1/2 the money on 8x the property in a nicer neighborhood in a beach town with fantastic schools.

Taxes here are similar to NY so that was a wash.

We moved here for the reasonable housing, beautiful towns, excellent public schools, proximity to the water, etc.

The fishing options from here are superb. My wife/kid love the beach. I'm <2 hours to Boston and NYC, surrounded by major airports and well connected via major roadways.

So,is the south cheaper?
Sure. I even like it down there but would my kid be getting the same education/opportunities?

Also, the places I'd want to live in the south aren't the cheap ones and the other thing is that for some reason very few of the desirable places to live are on the ocean, I'm not sure why but I've done the mental excercise mand when it comes right down to it only Charleston and Savannah are appealing to me - saltwater life relatively close to a real city.

Hey - apparently CT is the 3rd best place to live in the world....

The grass is always greener; you can spend your life bitching, being negative and finding #*&! to dislike and complain about but you're not likely to make yourself any happier doing so.
Page 22 of 43 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 42 43 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics