ctfisherman.com logo
Page 4 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#792441 - 03/17/07 01:20 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
sporteus Offline

Loc: Middlefield, CT
This is a timely topic for me. I'm a born and bred Connecticut Yankee. Except for living 2 years in FL as a teenager, I've lived here all my life. Mornings like today I ask myself "why do I live here?" as I'm shoveling 8" of heavy crapola from my walkway at 7:00 in the morning. \:o

It used to be that my family was here, my job was here, and we didn't want to uproot my step-son while he was in school. Now, only one of my sisters is still here, I telecommute to my new job, and my step-kids are grown and out of the house. So, why am I still here?

Well, the house is not ready to sell. I have some work to do to it before it will be ready. So, once the house is ready to sell, I'm outta here. (been saying that for 5 years now.)

Now where to move to? I'm getting very hooked on salt water fishing, so it has to be coastal or near the coast. My wife and I are anti-social and really don't like people much, so it have to be secluded (acreage). My wife is retired and we're not rich, so it has to be affordable. My wife can't stand flat land, so it has to be hilly or near mountains. She doesn't want it too hot or humid, but I don't want to ever shovel snow again. I'd rather not be in a regular path of hurricanes. So, where does that leave us? Hmmm, maybe CT isn't so bad.

I get tired of the over taxing and political BS in Connecticut, but there are a lot of advantages to living here that I would miss. Being 2 hours from Boston or NYC. Being 4-5 hours from the Adirondacks and the Green mountains. Being less than an hour from the coast. Fishing everything from the Great Lakes to the Maine coast, Cape Code, Long Island Sound, and all the lakes, streams, and ponds in between. Location, location, location. Yes, it's expensive but you get what you pay for. We do have some of the best goverment services of any state. Yes, it's corrupt but what place isn't? There is no place that is exempt from political corruption. Some places just hide it better than others.

Connecticut is a very picturesque state with a lot to offer. We have our issues, but every state does. If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, there's probably a septic tank under it!

New Englanders love to kvetch, this much I know since I am one. So, if they're blowing off some steam on a thread here, so be it. At least they have an opinion and are engaged in some way. I'd rather have that, then nobody complaining when things are wrong and nothing ever changing.

Thank you.
Steve

Work to live, don't live to work. Fishing is a big part of that balance.
Fishing Info
#792442 - 03/17/07 01:27 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
reno the cove thing is just one of many situations...look through this site, complaints about bass management, trophy trout, stocked trout size..

dont take this thread away from what it is...keep the cove discussions in that thread please.

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#792443 - 03/17/07 01:34 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
ME_fisherman Offline

Loc: Derby, CT
As my handle suggests, I'm from Maine. I started living in CT because my wife is from CT. I'm really starting to enjoy myself here and there are a lot of opportunities one would not have back in Maine. Such as many different types of clubs, sporting leagues, and to join one you don't have to travel a lot. There are a lot of different types of fishing opportunities as well . . . within an hour drive I can fish some pretty good spots to target just about any species that you could catch anywhere in the US. But, at this point I'd still move back to Maine if that was a possibility.

This thread brought back the idea I've had for changing my handle, since after 5 years, I consider myself a CT angler.

Here Fishy Fishy!

MY BOAT!
#792444 - 03/17/07 01:47 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Fish-head Offline

Loc: Lancaster, SC
There recently was an article on MSNBC about the most expensive place to live in the USA. Guess what? Good ol CT was #1. On average, 36% of YOUR pay goes to pay taxes in 1 form or another. Sure, CT makes the most per person, but you just give it all away. It seems that every other week someone is calling for a rate hike for electricity, water, property tax. Where will it end? I for 1 have had enough. I will be moving to South Carolina by the middle of the Summer if all goes well.

Going in April to look for a house. You can buy a BRAND NEW, 2000 SQFT house on 1 acre of land for under $200,000. Try that in CT! Property taxes in the $800.00 -$1,200 range, depending on where you look. The grass may not be greener, but I may have a little more green in my pocket.

As for fishing, South Carolina is where they set the all time weight for a bass T. Nope, no fishing there.

The people are very friendly down there as well. Where can you go around here and drive down the rd and strangers will wave to you as you go by. Life goes a little slower down there.
#792445 - 03/17/07 01:56 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Johnny Tep Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish-head:
Going in April to look for a house. You can buy a BRAND NEW, 2000 SQFT house on 1 acre of land for under $200,000. Try that in CT! Property taxes in the $800.00 -$1,200 range, depending on where you look. The grass may not be greener, but I may have a little more green in my pocket.
It's all relative though. You can buy a house there for $200,000, but your southern income won't compare to your CT one. So it's not the best plan to get a mortgage down there, but if you pay in full then more power to you. Just have to keep in mind that prices are relative to income and blah blah blah.

#792446 - 03/17/07 02:01 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Fish-head Offline

Loc: Lancaster, SC
Johhny, In my case I will be making MORE than I do here. Don't let people tell you there is no $ for jobs down there. The Charlotte area is booming, and there is a shortage of skilled labor there. I'm looking just over the border of NC for a house.
#792447 - 03/17/07 02:14 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fish-head:
The people are very friendly down there as well. Where can you go around here and drive down the rd and strangers will wave to you as you go by. Life goes a little slower down there.
I was going to put a comment like this in my response but thought better of it...i change my mind...

Poeple in CT are generally pissed at the world. NOT ALL, but it the majority dont give a dammm about you. All of my buddies that i bring to NY say the same.."people are so nice around here" My family comes to CT to visit the first time they had been here...first thing out of their mouths "what the hell crawled up the people's a$$ around here???"

The money is good here Jonny, but its not the amount that is the trick..its the % you keep. Just because you make more doenst mean you take home more.

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#792448 - 03/17/07 02:22 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
AaronS Offline

I think you've really started 2 topics here.

One is about the DEP

The other is about why we live here.

I'm having a tough time connecting the two.

In relation to the DEP. It is a huge beauracracy, i work in one myself so I know that just because something negative happens in a certain area it shouldn't give the whole organization a bad name but it does.

I'd like to say for myself that I do have utmost respect for many who work in the DEP and the orginaization as a whole. They generally do good work with the resources they are given. I have volunteered for them numerous times in the past and will continue to do so. I have friends who worked for the orginization seasonly and allowed me to meet some of the biologists who are doing awesome work.

That being said sometimes you can't just accept things when you know they're wrong. Sometimes bad decisons are made and we're lucky enough to live in a place where it is our job as citizens, voters, and taxpayers to speak up. Sometimes when a group speaks up as a whole its easy to forget there are different people doing different jobs and the orginization as a whole gets a bad rap.
I think thats what we are seeing right now.

Oh I live here 'cause I was born here and there are certainly positives and negatives no matter where you live. Right now the positives are just edging the negatives. One thing I hate is the TRAFFIC/Transportation systems and the speed of light pace many people live by. One thing I like is the diversity of settings, both rural and urban as well as an hour drive to all sorts of fishing opportunities.
#792449 - 03/17/07 02:24 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Reno Offline

What a long strange trip...

Loc: Shakedown Street
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dusty:
[QB]

It is clearly eveident that no matter what the DEP says that not one word of it means anything to most people. I haven't been here long enough to warrant these feelings for myself. I know a large number of the DEP employees including many of the higher-ups and have nothing but the utmost respect for them. Most people feel the same, every DEP/CO they know they become friends with.

So why is there such a disconnect??? People post on a thread about how corrupt the dep is but at the same time are good friends with DEP employees.

You didn't just ask "Why do you live in CT." You also asked "Why is there such disconnect" What does that have to do with living in CT?
I answered that question as well!

Tight Lines:
Scott

Harbinger of impending piscatorial doom
---------------------------------------------
WHEN THE FLOAT DROPS THE BULL SH*T STOPS!!!!
"The charm of fishing is that it is the
pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

-- John Buchan
-----------------------------------------------

#792450 - 03/17/07 02:26 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Reno Offline

What a long strange trip...

Loc: Shakedown Street
Me too AaronS! You beat me to it!

Tight Lines:
Scott

Harbinger of impending piscatorial doom
WHEN THE FLOAT DROPS THE BULL SH*T STOPS!!!!
"The charm of fishing is that it is the
pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

-- John Buchan
-----------------------------------------------

Page 4 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42 43 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics