ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#792421 - 03/17/07 01:03 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
O-BASS Offline

i actually like connecticut. for my whole life until college i swore the minute i graduated id move to florida. hot humid, fishing galore, just like i like it.

then i hooked a bluefish.

this, coupled with smallmouth bass, the Red sox and my business keep me in new england. the fishing in ct is amazing as it is anyway. if its not for you, you're either just learning or doing it all wrong. if ct isnt good enough, the rest of new england offers myriads of angling and outdoor oportunities within a short drive.

hard work, honesty and kindness are the part of who i am, and i believe they are part of the new england way. if taxes, the dep, politics, cost of living or anything else stand in the way of those fundmentals, i get up and do something about it.
Fishing Info
#792422 - 03/17/07 01:19 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
MOONSHINER Offline

THEFINALTIMEOUT

Born and raised here . Half the people that bitch don:t vote (so from them I do not want to here it ) I do vote but I agree things do suck . But on the other side I can get home from work and within 15 min I can be on 9 diffrent lakes fishing . I guess you take the good with the bad . I also own land in Selden Maine with a 10 min ride I can be on East Grand Lake . Within a few years I will have a place built up their also . But my home will always be CT Just my 2 cents

Maine The Way Life Should Be and is going to be for me and the dogs before to long
#792423 - 03/17/07 01:21 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
O-BASS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty:

It is clearly eveident that no matter what the DEP says that not one word of it means anything to most people.
i dissagree. if your underlying question is why are we complaining about the deps role in handling the housy bit, thats a different story and a different discussion

fisherman on this site listen to dep word all the time. we adhere to limit restrictions, purchase liscenses, and fund programs staffed by dep officials. ultimately it is US who make and set the rules, not the people who are paid to simply enforce them. when the rules no longer serve to protect us, become obsolete, or are based on inacurate data, it is also up to us to correct this problem.

the only thing "clearly evident" is that the members of this website are actively passionate about the laws and regulations in connecticut on a multitude of levels, and if inconstancies between what we expect from our elected officials and whats given to us should arise, our collective voice as citizens of Connecticut will be heard, one way or another...
#792424 - 03/17/07 01:22 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
steve76 Offline

Loc: Higganum
Personally, I like it here for the most part. It's the only place I have called home.

I don't think I will be able to afford to retire here, but I don't know where to go.

I have land in New Hampshire, but I don't like the long winters. Florida may be an option, but I have been told home-owners insurance is through the roof.

Of all of you that want to move out of Connecticut, where would you rather live, and why?........Steve

I fish, therefore I smell

Quit crying. Do something. Join the RFA www.joinrfa.org

Author: www.micahackerman.com
#792425 - 03/17/07 01:36 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Buck Offline

Ct. has a lot to offer but it is the most expensive state to live in. I have lived in many places and fished all over north america and few places in the country have the diversity of fishing and open waters that we have right here in Ct. Plus my hunting access is better than most areas. Then you have NY, Pa., and the rest of new england within a days drive. It really is a sportsmens paradise, far more opportunity for average guys to fish and hunt than out west or down south.
#792426 - 03/17/07 01:52 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
AnglerChickSix Offline

I moved to CT because where I live is cheaper then where I am originally from, which is RI. I would think about moving, but my family and friends are in the area.

I have to say something about the DEP...Last year I obtained a seasonal position in Hartford. The people I was fortunate enough to work with in Inland Fisheries were all wonderful people!!! I cannot say it enough. It was a pleasure working among these highly intellingent, caring and genuine people who all have a high level of integrity.

They honestly care about what they do. Being in the vacinity of these DEP employees made me realize the right career path and also made me realize that with passion, one can really make a difference.

I would not be going out of my way to make a positive comment if this was not the truth. The CT DEP is definitely on "our" side. I don't know if anyone was at the regulation hearing about East Twin, Crystal..etc. Quite a few anglers were defensive (with good reason, I'm sure), but in actuality, the purpose of the hearing was for citizens to state their opinion BECAUSE YOUR OPINIONS ARE IMPORTANT TO THEM!! They wanted to hear about what you all thought regarding the proposed regulations.

An agency like the DEP is something I would be proud to be part of. I consider us all lucky to have the biologists, env. analysts, directors, asst. directors, and the head of conservation and habitat that we do. Oh, I definitely can't forget about C.A.R.E. ;\)

So a big applause to the CT DEP, you have my highest respect! \:\)

AC6: Boycotting Michael McDonald since 2003
#792427 - 03/17/07 01:58 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Ragtopman Offline

Loc: Wallingford, Moultonborough NH
Family thing here like most. I moved to Maryland for a year and swore I would be in Florida soon after. Then came the job. Then came the wife she didn't want to leave, but she agreed we would move there when I left the PD. Well add kids to that and grand parents and it looks like the farthest I'm going is my house in New Hampshire. I have been looking at Rhode Island as well.

Genuine adventure isn't available mail order. It isn't delivered to your door like pizza. You have to apply imagination and actively seek the extraordinary if you want great barroom stories
Almost everyone has a golden recollection in their past, from which they draw to refuel life in the present. Very often, those memories are the product of instinctive initiative and some stretch of their imagination- a few moments in their life when they chose to believe in the impossible.
~ Kansas Stamps
#792428 - 03/17/07 01:59 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Chumbucket74 Offline

Loc: Middletown,CT
Well dusty I can tell you this I did live in CT I just moved to Ohio as you know. I left because my family did BUT I also can tell you. I had enough of the tax you to death state and all the B.S. that CT has. The crooked polititions, The cost of living is through the roof and the real estate is so freakin high I can't touch the prices in CT. I can't find a one bedroom in CT for under $450.00 a month. Everything you buy is so much more money than Ohio.

Let me tell you what it is like out here in Ohio. The state puts back in to there wildlife/fisheries now I am not saying CT does not but were does the CT fishing License fee go again to a general fund. NOT OHIO!!! But that is not it really eather. Things you buy in CT like the TV I looked at was almost $400.00 cheaper out here.

My computer was $200.00 cheaper in Ohio. Fishing tackle do I need to go there. I paid $16.95 for stren super braid in CT it is $10.95 here Power pro is what $19.95 to $21.95 a spool in CT The price of it is $14.95 here. I am looking at houses out here 4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 2 baths,fenced in yard,3/4 of an acre of land butifull grass this hous is a ranch it need nothing at all for repairs evrything is up to date.

The house is selling for $62,000.00. the 30 year morgage I think was $ 162 area a month including tax and home owners try that in CT. Not one house I have looked at is over $100,000.00 every house the same freakin size in CT was $210,000.00 and up. I could go on and on. I thought that it was going to be the same and i thought that I would hate it here but Trust me when I say Screw CT I will never move back. I will go back to fish a CTF tournament just to kick your butt though \:D

Here is the last thing for you. We are renting a whole house yup a house 3 bedroom, 1 bath, kitchen, living room. The house is a small ranch guess what the rent is. NOPE not a 1000 not even close TRY $350.00 a month. Try finding that in CT. Our car registration is I think $46.00 for 2 years. insurance is half of ct car insurance. I think I said enough that is why I did leave.

Danny
#792429 - 03/17/07 10:49 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
fishy1 Offline

I lived in CT. all my life until now. After I retired, I thought, why not try someplace else? So here I am in Maine. Hunted and vacationed here and loved it, but taxes are as bad as CT, and maybe worse. Other than food, everything else you buy is taxed, including clothes, which I believe in CT not taxed under $100.

Rents are cheaper though, and most all include heat and hot water, and sometimes electric. You can find nice homes for $100,000, to $150,000, and sometimes less. However, anything on the water, is going up and up. Like CT, pretty soon, none but the wealthy will be able to own waterfront property.

People in Ct that bought waterfront property years ago, are being taxed out of existence, just because that $100,000 piece of property is now selling for $750,000 to 1 million. Oh, I realize that's a nice appreciation, but these folks are still forced to leave because they can't afford $20,000 a year in taxes. It's pretty much the same up here, especially ocean front homes.

I realize inland states for the most part are much cheaper, but I personally couldn't stand to be too far away from the ocean. And Florida kills me in the summer. Maybe Oregon sometime in the future. It's nice to have options.
#792430 - 03/17/07 10:49 AM Re: Why do you live in CT???
hoppy Offline

interesting topic dusty.

ive thought long and hard about uping and moving out of state. no kids, single, etc, etc.
the only that keeps me around is my family. maybe someday ill find the motivation to get out of here!
Page 2 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 ... 42 43 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics