Bio
CTF Message Board Name: fishy1
Current city: Randolph, ME
Hometown: Higganum, CT, Grew up in Southington
Family members: Two sons in CT.
Occupation (current and/or past if retired): Retired from newspaper business, (Meriden, Middletown and New Britain)

20 Questions
1. Why did you move to Maine from Connecticut and how do you like it so far?

Since I retired, I've always liked Maine so I said, "Why not?" I am enjoying it so far, but the long winters are a bit tough. I mean, open water fishing starts April 1st, and all the lakes are still ice covered. It's only been about a week and a half or so since the ice finally dissipated completely. (takes a while to get rid of 30 or more inches of ice). Water is still cold and the fish (bass) haven't turned on yet. Now I know why everyone up here has power augers. The wildlife up here is great. I've watch bald eagles and ospreys catching fish. Loons fishing and their eerie call. Watching a muskrat swim by 6 feet away. Deer, fox, and even a Lynx, which is a rare occurrence. (No moose yet though).

2. What do you know about fishing now that you wish you knew 20 years ago?
Since I've been fishing for well over 50 years, there's not much I can think of considering the kind of fishing I do. Guess I subscribe to the KISS theory. (Keep it simple stupid.)

3. What do you enjoy more, catching big fish or catching a lot of fish?
I guess I prefer action, but like everyone else, hope for the big one.

4. Who is the best looking famous female celebrity today? How about of all time?
Phyllis Diller. (Oh wait), Best looking, no, but I really like Kate Winslet. That's one hunk of woman. (Did some great nude scenes too). All time? Eye of the beholder I guess. Just too many to pick from.

5. Is your fishing tackle neatly organized, or is it a mess?
Is that what it is? I thought it was something I took out of the garbage disposal. I usually find what I need though.

6. What is your most memorable fishing experience?
A day in the mid fifties black fishing with my mom and dad in his 18 ft. Thompson. I have no idea how many togs we caught, (probably around 50) and very few under 3 lbs.

7. What three items would you take to a deserted island?
Knife, heavy duty line, and hooks.

8. What's your favorite part about ctfisherman.com? What is your least favorite part?
There is very little I don't enjoy reading. Reports, general chatter, hunting, sports. Least favorite is probably the part about lures, line and stuff.

9. Do you have any "fish that got away stories" that still haunt you?
Fishing Pistol Shop Pond in Middlefield, (it's part of the Coginchaug River) using a large shiner, a huge bass took it about 3 ft. from shore, and headed for a downed tree. I held the rod up in the air and walked in the opposite direction trying to turn him. Didn't even turn his head, and it snapped the line like it was a twig.

10. Where is your dream fishing trip or destination?
Alaska

11. What advice do you have for young people trying to find their way in the world?
Stay in school, and pick a subject in college that is worthwhile on the outside. Try other things if you wish, but always have something to fall back on. (I guess that's what you're doing right now Mitch).

12. When fighting a big fish, do you?
a. Laugh like a kid
b. Get nervous
c. Curse like a sailor
d. Remain cool, calm and collected
e. Hoot and holler

Previously, I would panic. Now, I just enjoy the fight. Cool, calm, and collected.

13. What is your favorite target species and what is your best tip for catching it?
I would have to say fluke. Love drifting for them using a snapper blue cut in half in the middle on an angle.

14. If you had to choose one lure to fish freshwater and one to fish saltwater, what would they be?
Spinnerbait for bass, and jointed rebel for bass and blues.

15. What do you think about a saltwater license in CT?
I don't see people getting that much out of it. Salt water fish aren't stocked, and the only good would come from the state acquiring public access land, or building fishing piers.
16. What's your favorite band or musical artist?
I'm old. Always liked folk music like Peter, Paul and Mary. I do like Pink Floyd, though.

17. Is there a God?
I suppose there should be something better than man. However, I subscribe to agnostic.

18. Cat or dog lover, or neither?
Dogs

19. What's the best fishing product you've bought in the last 5 years?
Ugly Stick

20. Would you trade all of your fishing gear and give up the sport for a $10 million dollars?
That is a tough one. While I love fishing immensely, I do have other hobbies such as metal detecting, hunting, and since I'm in Maine, looking for minerals. Some of the best tourmaline is found here, along with amethyst. Sort of like selling your soul, isn't it? At my age, I guess I'd stick with the fishing. (Couldn't I cheat a little bit? I sure could use the money.)