CTF Name: John from Madison CT
Family Members: Wife-Gina, 2 kids (Nick 12 and Rosie 11)
Current City: Madison
Hometown: Danbury

John and son Nick.

1. You recently had some health issues. What were they and how are you doing?
Wow, great question. I had a terrible case of Viral Meningitis possible from a mosquito bite. It hit me last summer and lasted 2 full months. I was initially hospitalized then bedridden for most of that time which was very very depressing. It taught me to never take health for granted,.....never. It also helped me empathize with those dealing with long term illness. Thank God I'm better and I'm one of the lucky ones not to have any significant long term problems.

2. You’ve been a longtime member of the site (since June, 2002). Why have you stuck around?
CTF is kind of a Frat in some ways. I made a bunch of great long term friendships from this site and will always appreciate that. I guess I stuck around because I'm generally a social person and what better way to banter about my passion than with thousands of other fisherman. Plus, I can't resist a good deal in the Classifieds. : )

CTF member Mike "Zippy" with John's daughter Rosie before an ice-fishing trip.

3. You’re very upfront with your political views. Why should a young person learn about politics and keep up with what is going on in the U.S. and world today?
Upfront with my political views?? Really?? All kidding aside, I've always had a big mouth when it comes to politics. What goes on in Washington, Hartford and my small town is so darn important to me. Having kids and 9/11 has reinforced this even more. I have NO patience for political opportunism over the safety of my country. (and I see it every day !)

I believe that with what's going on in the world today, it may be the most important time in the last couple of hundred years for everyone to get involved and to have some basic understanding of the political landscape. The geo-political issues of our day can mean the life and death of this country. We have a new group of fanatics (Islamists) looking to find ways to kill our children. They sit around everyday thinking up ways to bring this country to its knees. I hope this is enough reason to force people to give a hoot and not just trust that those in power know what to do.

Here's something you might find surprising.............I was once a liberal Democrat.

4. What is your favorite target species, and tell us about your most memorable experience chasing it?
Mako shark. I can remember going on a sharking trip as a 12 year old. A big Mako grabbed a bluefish bait and jumped 15'+ feet out of the water. This image is seared in my brain and spawned a passion for offshore fishing.

5. Where is the strangest place you have ever fallen asleep?
No where...I'm an insomniac.

6. What is your favorite non-alcoholic beverage? You favorite alcoholic drink?
A good cup of Joe (coffee). I really don't drink much booze. I have nothing against it, but it's just not for me. Maybe a beer now and again, but they're far and few between.

7. You’ve come out in support of the Broadwater liquid natural gas terminal in Long Island Sound. Why? Do you think it could have any detrimental effect on fishing or the fishery?
My job forces me to be close to the Natural Gas and energy markets. I see the need for LNG infrastructure and how the lack thereof can change the life of Americans by increasing the cost of energy and consumables. (NGas is used to make many different products we use everyday) I understand that this is transparent to most, but we tend to place blame on things like this after the fact. For example, the lack of refinery capacity for Gasoline was discussed in a similar way years ago, but brushed under the carpet due to unreasonable environmental issues and fear mongering. Today we are paying the price.

I honestly see no detrimental effects on fishing and our fishery. These waters are not fished by 99.9% of fisherman and if anything the underwater structures will likely become havens for newly spawned fish. (much like the NG and Oil terminals do in the Gulf)

8. Tell us about you and your family’s involvement in youth sports.
My son and daughter both play ball. I've coached my son in baseball for the past 8 years. I also Snowboard with the kids. ( I refuse to give in to "I'm too old to Snowboard" excuse but I'm starting to question that decision....Ouch !!) Without baseball I would likely fish 3 times as much as I do, but the kids are only young once and my time will come.

9. Describe your dream fishing trip or destination?
In search of a double grander Blue Marlin off the Azores. (never been caught by rod and reel)

10. Who are some of your childhood heroes?
Tom Seaver, Felix Milan (both of the early 70's Mets) and my father. (Greek immigrant who's 80 years old now)

11. You’re put in charge of the CT DEP. What five things do you do immediately?
1. Ban Dragging. (this will solve most of the ground fish problems)
2. Make poaching a very serious crime. (happens all too often with little consequences)
3. Empower and fund the DEP enough to gather "real" harvest data. (spot launch ramp checks simply don't work)
4. Increase the # of officers and financially reward them for finding the poachers. (with due process of course)
5. Ban Dragging. ( I know I said that already but it's worth repeating)

12. Is their a species of fish you’ve never caught, but would like to?
Yep, swordfish.

13. How long have you been fishing and how did you get started?
This is one thing in my life that's been a constant, my passion for fishing and the water. I loved fishing from the earliest of ages. My family used to vacation on the North Fork of Long Island. I remember catching Blowfish when they were plentiful. I think it started from my Uncle who was a very serious Surf fisherman off L.I. and Cape Cod. I remember hanging around him and seeing all those cool 13' Surf rods and plugs he made himself. Also, my grandfather on my father's side was a sea Captain and traveled the world. I never met him but the stories I grew up with have stuck with me.

14. Did you ever have to take a leave of absence from the sport, and why?
Never for long, I just love it too much. When I was a kid most of my time was spent Freshwater fishing off a rowboat at Candlewood Lake and many of the NY Reservoirs right over the border of CT/NY. (Byrum, Croton Res., Muscoot, etc..) Technically we fished illegally since we weren't NY residents, but the fishing was fantastic. Once a year the local Sheriff would catch us and threaten to take away my most prized possession, a 12' aluminum jonboat. (which has sat unused for over 25 years under some trees at my parents home in Danbury)

15. What’s the last foreign country you visited and what did you do there?
Mexico. I have a large customer there. No fun, just work.

16. What was your first car?
Volkswagon GTI. Man it was fun. I think it was an '84.

17. What do you do to relax?
While I love fishing, nothing is more relaxing than a massage. I try and get one a couple times a year.

18. What’s the best piece of fishing advice you ever received.
Find a local guy who knows the waters you fish. Listen carefully to what they have to say.

19. What is your most memorable fish that got away story.
About 10 years ago I hooked and fought a very large White Marlin. One of the old salts on the boat said it was by far the biggest he's every seen. We weren't going to kill it, just get a decent measurement then tag it. It broke off at boatside.

20. What non-fishing experience would you like to have before you die?
On my death bed I want my children to tell me that I did a good job as their father.