CTF name: Fish On
Family Members: Wife Deanna, Daughter Valerie, Nephew Tim
Current City: Milford

1. You've fished a lot of shark tournaments over the years. How many tournaments have you placed in? How many have you won?
I've been fishing shark tournaments since 1986. I have won 1st place 9 times / 2nd place 3 times / 3rd place 5 times.

First place blue shark in the 2006 Montauk Marine Basin Tournament.

2. You hold the CT state thresher record (467 pounds). Tell us about that catch.
I was fishing the Star Island Mako Thresher Tournament the summer of 2006. We landed the Thresher and made it back to the weigh in by 15 minutes. We not only had the state record with a 467-lb. Thresher, but we won 1st 2nd and 3rd place. We had to run the shark back to CT to be eligible for the state record. The summer of 2005 we landed a 522-lb. Thresher, but lost the state record because we stayed overnight in NY.

467-lb. thresher.

3. Do you have any memorable fish that got away stories from the tournaments?
We were fishing in the Montauk Marine Basin Tournament and 2 of our crew had to cancel due to family emergency. So my brother and I went at it alone. Luck would have it that we hooked the largest sharks ever. We fought a Thresher that we estimated to be 600 lbs for 5 hours and 20 minutes. Then the leader broke in our hands.

4. How did you first get interested in fishing?
My father was a well known fisherman in his day and he had my brother and I going since we could walk.

5. Your brother owns Hiller Hunting & Fishing in Norwalk. What about being in the fishing tackle business might surprise people?
The fishing business is a long hour, cut throat business. You really have to love being around the sport to survive.

6. You were a state instructor for the bow hunting course. Do you think interest in hunting will ever increase in our state?
I would say archery hunting has grown quite a bit. But over all I think hunting has slacked off a little in the past few years.

7. Have you ever considered a job in fishing, such as chartering or with the DEP?
My brother is a licensed captain and we have done quite a bit of chartering over the years.

8. Do you have a dream hunting trip or destination?
I have been moose hunting in Newfoundland, but I would love to do an Alaskan moose hunt.

Swordfish caught at the Dip.

9. What is your most memorable hunting experience?
My most memorable hunting trip is split between 2. One is when I had my daughter with me and we made our own ground blind and we arrowed a beautiful 7 pointer at 10 yards. Also when my nephew shot his 1st bow deer while I was sitting next to him.

10. You are involved in buying and flipping real estate. With the current change in the market, how have you changed your business strategies?
For the past five years I have been tearing down houses and building two new houses per year. With the slower housing market, I am now looking at smaller projects -- like a condo I just purchased, which I totally renovated. Hopefully the housing market will rebound soon.

11. I understand your daughter has a lot of accomplishments. Tell us about her.
My daughter makes me very proud. She is a straight "A" student. She excels in basketball, bowling and has out fished me on many occasions. She has written articles to the President wondering why there aren’t more Woman professional sports teams. She received a reply thanking her for her interest. She was only 8 at the time. She is now 12 and growing up too quick.

Daughter Valerie with a 44-lb. striper mount, caught while fishing with CTF member Kevin Bova.

12. You've been named Fisherman of the Year for the South Norwalk Boat Club. Tell us about the club, why someone would want to join, and how they could join.
The South Norwalk Boat Club is a great club. We have over 800 members, including 100’s of lifetime members. We have lots of different fishing tournaments plus unlimited family functions year round. To become a member, you have to have another member draw an application from a lottery, which only happens when someone drops out. Then you go on a waiting list which could take up to 3 years.

A muzzle loader hunt with daughter Valerie.

13. When targeting shark, what are some mistakes that people most often make?
I think the biggest mistake most people make when shark fishing is they leave their slicks when things are slow. I have never left my slick ever. I have caught some winning fish late in the day, when nothing was happening up to that point.

14. Do you have any scary stories or close calls related to fishing offshore?
My scariest experience was when I was fishing in a tournament in my 25’ Parker. NOAA had called for 6’ to 8’ seas. We fished until noon, when gale force winds kicked up, blowing 40 knots. Seas then built to 12’ plus. I had to head toward Shinnecock because I could not make the turn towards Montauk. My crew and I really gained respect for the water that day.

15. What do you do to relax?
My most relaxing time is when I am sitting in my tree stand.

Nephew Tim and 9-point deer taken with a bow.

16. What kinds of freshwater fishing do you enjoy?
I enjoy trout fishing early spring and really enjoy ice fishing.

17. What kind of music do you like?
Classic rock is my favorite music.

18. What is your idea of the perfect dinner?
A nice lobster and fillet mignon dinner.

19. What experience would you like to have before you die?
I would like to go to Alaska for a month hunting and fishing.

20. Tell us a funny or embarrassing story about CTF member Kevin Bova.
Kevin Bova is a big time hunter who has shot his share of big deer. Last year he shot an 8 pointer, which we recovered the next morning. When he started to field dress the deer, it had some gas built up in it. Kevin started to gag and was ready to puke. My little nephew had to gut and drag the deer out for him.