13.8-pound Lakeville brown.

CTF name: Greenglo Bob
Current City: New Preston, CT
Hometown: Born in Bennington, Vermont
Family Members: Wife: Diane Nelson Chase
Occupation: Retired, State of Conn, DOT - Transportation Engineer
Hobbies: Fishing, hunting, gardening, kayaking and outdoor photography.

1. You have been along time member of CTF (since January, 2002). What is your most memorable fishing experience that you shared on CTF?
This is the day Mike G. And Captain Alewive came out trolling with me on Lake Ontario for salmon. After a few minor mechanical difficulties, we proceeded to hammer the kings non-stop which included a triple, which we managed to boat. It was very gratifying to have the guys randomly come aboard and hit such a bonanza day.

2. Where'd you get the screen name Greenglo Bob?
The name Greenglo came about from my experience since the 70's up on Lake Ontario and its tributaries. When I first started fishing there, it was about landing trophy fish on “crickets”, they don’t bite. After a few night patrols with the natives, of which I am not proud, burlap bags, radios, crickets and cord for line, I decided this isn’t fishing and set out to prove this to my fishing buddies. With greenglo cleos, I began catching salmon traditionally under the Rte. 3 bridge, Port Ontario. I became one of the first guys to tape spoons with staggered ladder back, green-glow, etc. Over the years, green-glow baits have been a predominant factor in my fishing successes and so the name Greenglo Bob evolved. LOL.

Sunset trolling on Lake Ontario.

3. You have been vocal about the DEP’s management of trout in Ct. What do you think of the job they are doing? Have you received any response from within DEP?
Let me give you a little background before I reply to this question. As a youth growing up in Vermont I seldom missed a weekend of trout fishing, Mainly on the Battenkill River and later on, White River, plus numerous brooks and streams. Fishing was awesome then, the limit was 12 trout per day and catch and release was not practiced highly in those times. I never fished lakes or ponds or owned a boat. Upon my arrival in Ct., 1960, I noted that the stream fishery appeared to be a put-and-take type fishery with numbers way down following two weeks after opening day. This was when I took up lake trolling, basically on Candlewood Lake and it was awesome fishing for rainbows and browns.

As you know I have been somewhat vocal about the present DEP trout/salmon stocking. First of I wish to say hats off to the personnel who do a great job within their budget restraints, whether it be stocking, raising fish or enforcing the laws. However, there seems to be a decline in numbers stocked and size. With fishing pressures increased due to modern electronics and our apparent change in weather cycles, it is my belief the DEP should rethink their stocking strategies, opening day modification, and night time fishing allowance. Most recently I was prompted to write DEP about lack of Northwest Ct Fall pond stocking which had always been done sooner in the past. This was sent after talking to an EMT friend who had been to Mt Tom almost daily for three months and had never caught or witnessed a trout caught. He stated “I think it’s most fished out”. The same guy a year prior was with a Fire Company diving team who stated “what huge trout were seen down there”. My observations and his comments prompted my letter to DEP which was promptly responded to and explained. Stocking delays were due to carting of trout in the abnormal temperatures. However, it was my understanding Eastern and Southern CT waters had been stocked way prior to October 22. Well anyway, Northwest lakes and ponds have been stocked as scheduled. I also feel that some of the surplus salmon should be shared with the lakes, especially when drought conditions prevail.

4. If you were appointed head of the DEP, what give things would you do right at the start?
1. Seek to establish a trout/walleye stamp dedicated to stocking which may require an outside purchase of fish.
2. Pursue a program of cormorant control to diminish effects on our fishery.
3. Seek to ban or restrict night fishing to help diminish illegal activities which have been practiced by a few.
4. Replace opening day for a children’s weekend only, say under 12. Keep the season open year round, stocking at random throughout the year.
5. Reduce pan fish limits to 18 each from the current 50 each.
6. Interchange a few of the broodstock salmon and browns with lakes and streams selectively throughout the state.
7. See that our license and watercraft fees are devoted to the fishery solely.

5. What is your most memorable ice-fishing experience?
My most pleasant ice-fishing trips are on Colebrook Reservoir jigging halis for smelt and catching trout off the type tipped with smelt, usually among friends from CTF, such as the Mikes, Brandon, Hank, Joe, etc. to name a few.

6. What would you say to the guy who has never ice-fished before and is thinking of giving it a try?
Keep an open mind. Talk to the experts. Get yourself a hand auger, light jigging rod combination, and some tipups. Always carry rope and ice pics and never be the first to venture on unknown ice especially alone. SAFETY FIRST comes with knowledge of ice conditions. Experiment with various jigs and baits. Do your own thing!

7. What are your top tips for catching trout through the ice in CT?
Think positive, experiment, use glow baits, keep the baits working and concentrate!!!!!! Micro light rods and a flasher, (Marcum, Vexilar, or Lowrance units) Tip your baits such as glow demons with wax worms, mealies or mousies. I do great deadsticking for trout with micro light rods set in spring type rodholders. Go online once in a while and see what they are using in Alaska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. LOL!!

Greenglo and Di's pal, Snoopy.

8. What is your most memorable fishing experience?
I guess my most memorable experience was with my Dad as a youth when I limited out, first time at the West Arlington, Vt. Dam on the Battenkill River with a mix of nice browns and brookies - all caught with a bamboo rod and garden hackle. His spot soon became mine, LOL, and he always got a charge out of that. We spent every Saturday on the kill in both VT and NY State. It was always topped off with a stop at the Tackle Box in Shushan, NY for super burgers or a stop at the Sunset Dairy Bar in Shaftsbury, Vt. For the tastiest weiners ever and french fries with mustard. LOL! I am very thankful that my Dad took the time to devote his Saturdays’ on a yearly basis and instill his love of the outdoors and nature which has been a constant source of strength in my life.

9. Do you have a dream fishing trip you’d like to take?
I would love to take a kayak trip trolling for nice native brook trout or would also love and extended trip in Alaska chasing the various salmonoids.

10. What year did you start fishing in CT, and what are some of the biggest changes you’ve seen in our state in your lifetime?
I started fishing in CT in 1960. I had never fished lakes before but recognized the “put n take” nature of stream fishing so took up lake trolling. I fished Candlewood Lake and Lakeville solely. Rainbow and brown trout fishing on Candlewood was great in the 60's we used to drag fiords in the fall for nice rainbows, yank streamers, 5 colors down, when the laurels were in bloom- June, etc. always nice fish. Fished Lake Wonscopumuc for browns and kokanee salmon. Kokannes were abundant and wife and I had some awesome catches in August -- still fishing with worms and corn. Since those days Candlewood access has been restricted, the trout fishery diminished due to summer heat, pressure and development, plus invasive weed growth. Lakeville kokanee fishing has disappeared, invasive weed growth is reducing the viable fishery although nice trout have been harvested out of there. However it is now in decline. Our fisheries need enhancement not reduction!!!!

11. What are you most proud of in your life?
I am a basic humble low key guy. I am proud to have made it this far LOL!! Leaving Vermont as a rebellious feisty young man, not overly scholarly but seeking a change from making $0.95/hr. I left VT on a phone call in my $50 1950 Buuuuuuick LOL! With $10 in my pocket to report to Conn DOT, District IV office as a Highway Construction Technician for which I received an associates degree from VTC in Randolph, VT. Having no place to stay as yet, I headed for my classmates place in New Haven, CT, for the weekend. However the New Haven Police spotted my gray bomb passing through a yellow caution light and I was placed in Whalley Avenue Jail with not enough bond money to get out. My college buddies showed up after a phone call, all decked out in cowboy hats and six-shooters. Twas thrilling LOL!! After my initiation to CT, my career proceeded as a naive Vermonter facing the real world of political agendas, etc.

As you all know construction is not an easy business, very rough and tumble but rewarding when you acquire a decent end product. I was involved as an inspector and project engineer over the years overseeing paving operations, drainage, bridges, and various aspects of highway construction. To have made it through my 37 years I give total credit to my friends and coworkers who assisted me through some often tough times and challenges.

I also lay all of my existence today to a most loving, caring wife and fishing buddy who has stood by through thick and thin. We lost both our children at ages 31 (1997) and 39 years of age (2003) which were the lowest points in our lives. We together press on as buddies, keeping in harmony with nature, gardening, outdoor photography and our love of fishing on Lake Ontario with the beautiful sunsets. Life has been rocky but we have made it this far. I thank God for a Dad who taught me to listen to the Whippoorwills, rain on the roof, owls hooting, hounds baying, watching dimples on the water from feeding trout and the sight of seeds sprouting in the veggie garden.

12. What is the toughest job you’ve ever had to do?
To lay my son and my daughter to rest within the course of 6 years. I have met many CTF friends with young families. Take the time to instill in them our harmony with God’s given nature. Today’s hyper tech preoccupation is keeping our youth away from what the good lord has given us on earth here to respect and enjoy.

Bob's late children.

13. Did you have any heroes or people you idolized when you were growing up?
I basically had no idols in my youth. Basically I sought to seek perfection in what I pursued and be accepted and respected in what I did. I am my own person.

14. What is the strangest or scariest thing that has ever happened to you while fishing?
Two incidents come to mind. As Spring thaw loomed I chose to bridge a Lake Waramaug open water edge with a plank. Fishing alone, I traversed the plank and had it slip -- sending me crashing through the ice. I managed to get out luckily. Another incident happened this past Spring. I picked up my boat at my storage marina and launched for the initial run out on Lake Ontario. Unbeknownst to us the raw water plumbing was not hooked up and the pump was turned on. We began sinking off shore and wifey saved the day with tracing the connection . The Coast Guard heard our calls and sent out helicopters, a boat, and an aircraft form Canada Very scary!

Bluebird feeding.

15. What fishing technique are you still working on improving?
Fishing always requires an open mind for change. Do your own thing and mums the word when need be LOL! Presently I am trying to learn spey rod fly casting on the Salmon River in Pulaski. 3 out of 5 casts tend to make me think I have it down pat. However, the expert up there says you will have it in 4500 casts and I tend to agree LOL! Patience is a virtue -- so we’ll see!!

16. What is the best piece of fishing gear you have ever bought?
I am a “toy nut” especially in this tech age. I would say the battery powered flasher fishfinder is the most usable and unique piece of gear I have bought. I still own an original Lowrance Fish-Lo-K-Tor which I used on Candlewood Lake trolling for trout in the 60's. In recent years I have owned the Vexilar and Marcum flasher units which I equate as excellent fish flasher locators especially ice-fishing. Things sure have changed out there over the years and I have had the fortune to use many of the newer items too numerous to list.

17. Is there something ctfisherman.com should do different to make the site better?
I think CTF is doing a great job!!! I have seen other sites destroyed due to erosion by out of hand squabbles. CTF is a superb site managed and run with expertise which crushes the minute petty viruses which can slowly erode a site, thus it is a very open site to true outdoorsmen who can vent their opinions within reason. Hats off Mitch, don't know how you do it all!!

18. Outside of CT, what is your favorite fishing destination within driving distance?
These days, Lake Ontario is my main out of state fishing grounds. The trip takes 4-½ hours. I have a summer place there and wife and I love it there. We have a garden, fish when the lake is calm (seldom) LOL! I have been going there since 1973 and love the laid back atmosphere, cool lake breezes, beaches and offshore fishing. The Fall river madhouse is no comparison to the offshore trolling options 4-½ hrs. from home.

Bob's wife with an impressive King Salmon.

19. Did you change anything about your lifestyle following 9/11?
Since 9/11, being retired with time on my hands, I watch current events and news more closely. Being fortunate enough to have a summer place in upstate, NY, wife and I have discussed a quick evacuation away from our rural area if the unthinkable occurs. I have deep concerns for the divisiveness and future of our country. My god fearing Mom who passed on at 96 last year predicted our nation’s predicament today. Our for-fathers with a strong work ethic and common sense were right.

20. What fish gave you the biggest challenge to land? Give us the details. What, where, when and how, please.
For the past 25 years the wife and I have fished the Empire State/Lake Ontario (ESLO) trout and salmon derby on Lake Ontario, a 2-week derby. In the early 80s, we entered and struck out at dawn off the Salmon River in my 22' Sea Nympth cuddy at the time. I had made up some Northern King magnum lures taped with dual ladder back glow and purple on the black/brass spoons. After setting down off my Cannon riggers we had an enormous snap of the line and I grabbed the rod. The fish had that deep down throb to it and I knew it was a decent one.

After a half hour battle and a couple misses at the net we managed to boat the silvery 35# 11oz. King salmon, hooked on my home doctored lure concoction. The fish placed 22nd in the derby out of 14,000 entries lakewide. The salmon and lure now hangs over my fireplace at home.