Twin Lakes Crappie.

CTF name: Don D
Current city: Bristol
Hometown: Bristol
Family members: Wife Sharon, son Don, daughter Jennifer brother Tom, two sisters, four wonderful grand children, and my 89-year-old father, Maurice, who still fishes.

1. You've posted a variety of fishing reports on the site -- from ice-fishing, to bass fishing, to saltwater. Do you have a favorite kind of fishing?
Actually, whatever kind of fishing I am doing at the time is my favorite. I never did much salt water fishing until the last few years. But I do enjoy it. I got back into ice fishing after 30 years of not doing it because of CTF. I really like the opportunity ice fishing affords to fish with a bunch of people at the same time. I still like river fishing because it brings me closer to nature then boat fishing.

2. I've gone ice-fishing with you in the bitter cold, and you're hardly wearing any clothing. Have you ever been cold while ice-fishing?
I got a good laugh from this question. Every one I ice fish with asks the same question. I just have a little extra insulation then most. Only one time years ago. In the mid eighties two of my buddies and I went to Lake Champlain. It was 10 below or lower and I cleared a hole of ice with my hand like I’ve done in CT so many times. We stayed three days and my hand never warmed up. I was concerned about frost bite but not enough to quit fishing.

3. When I first had a CTF booth at the Hartford Fishing show (2003), you volunteered to help me move materials into the booth. We had never met before, and I always remembered this act of kindness on your part. Are there any memorable things a fellow CTF member has done for you?
I'll tell you Mitch. When I found CTF on the web I was instantly attracted because of my love of fishing. Just finding so many good people on this site to fish and hang out with is kindness enough for me. I have found life long friends here.

Don helping move in and set-up the booth for the 2004 Fishing & Hunting Expo in Hartford.

4. You've shared a lot of fishing experiences with your brother. What are some things he has taught you about fishing?
LOL, he taught me how to pick fiddle heads. As far as fishing goes, I taught him every thing he knows. On a more serious note. My brother has been my fishing companion since his retirement 7 years ago. We have had too many great times to count.

West Hill Browns, CT River Fiddle Heads.

5. When did you start fishing?
My dad took me fishing at a very early age. I was told I was 4. My first recollection is going with my dad and bro to what I later learned was Stillwater Pond in Torrington. I was catching frogs on the shore which we later used for bait . My dad caught a big bass that night on one of those frogs

6. What is your most memorable fishing experience?
That’s a tough one. There are tons of them. But I think it was the first time I fished Lake Ontario. I had always wanted to fish for big trout but never could find the time. My bro and dad had gone many times. I finally got a chance to get there with my bro. We launched in the Salmon River and headed out to the lake. Started to troll a blue and silver Krockodile spoon and seconds into the troll I hooked up with a 12lb laker. It actually brought a tear to my eye .

Finger Lakes Lake Trout

7. Is there a species of fish you haven't caught that is at the top of your wish list?
Not necessarily a species but a destination. Alaska for big salmon and halibut. Florida for red fish, snook, and tarpon.

8. Did you have any heroes when you were growing up?
Hero’s, well my dad. But I think of him more as an inspiration than hero. He taught me to do all the things I enjoy . How ever, Ted Williams would be my hero if I was pressed to name one. He was, in my opinion, the greatest hitter that ever lived. And his career being on hold twice while he flew fighter jets for his country really made him a national hero.

9. Tell us about the football team you coach.
My son and I have been coaching midget football in Bristol for the last five years. We started with a group of kids in flag. As they grow up we keep moving up with them. This year we coached at the Jr Pee Wee level which is 9 to 11 year olds. In four years of coaching tackle football we have compiled a record of 28 wins & 8 losses. We lost last week in the state finals of the CCYF to a good team from Meriden. It is great to work with my son to teach football and life’s lessons such as discipline, commitment, and team work.

Bristol Bulldogs (9 to 11 age group).

10. What is the best thing about having grand kids?
They sure keep my wife Sharon and I running. My youngest grand daughter Julia plays soccer on Saturday, my other grand daughter Alyssa plays soccer on a travel team from Bristol and plays Saturday and Sunday. My grand son Kyle plays football on Saturdays and I coach my grand son Taylor on Sundays. That’s just the fall schedule.

Ice-fishing with grandsons Taylor & Kyle.

Opening Day with granddaughter Alyssa

11. What sports did/do you enjoy participating in?
I played football and baseball in high school. In the seventies and eighties I played on some of the premier softball teams in the state. I played softball till I was 45. I won a national pool tournament at the Forestville boys club when I was a young teen. Hunted pheasant for many years. And of course, fishing has always been my passion.

12. What is your most memorable moment watching professional sports?
I was at Fenway Park when Ted Williams was managing the Washington Senators.. My friend Brad and I got there early and went to the players entrance. We saw Carl Yaz walk by, Carlton Fisk and a host of others. That was awesome.

13. What are you most proud of in your lifetime?
Raising two wonder full kids, and being married to the same women for 41 years. Also always being there when I say I will and never being late.

Brothers cooking for a family function.

14. What is the best piece of fishing advice you ever received?
My dad told me this many years ago. “ You have to be more patient to catch fish”

15. Tell us a memorable or funny story about fishing with a fellow CTF member.
As I said previously I am never late. On one very cold and snowy morning, I think it was December, I was going to meet up with Tackle Man, Das, and a few other CTF members at the steel bridge in Pleasant Valley. Getting there early as always I went to the river to get a head start on the fishing. Well there is this rock I usually step on in the river. Not knowing it was covered with ice I went to step out and slipped. I had two choices, fall back on the rock and maybe smash my rod or dive in the river. I chose the latter. By the time I got to my car I was frozen solid. Thank goodness I keep extra clothes in the car. I stripped in the parking lot and after getting changed I headed to Winsted to a Laundromat to dry my clothes. When I made it back to the steel bridge the guys were there waiting . They asked if every thing was ok cause they know my penchant for being on time. I told them what happened and was glad they weren’t there to see my swim. T-Man has never let me forget it.

16. Besides 9/11, what was one of the most memorable events in history during your lifetime?
I would have to say the assassination of President Kennedy on November 22, 1963. I was a sophomore in high school when the announcement came over the loud speaker that the president had been shot. I wondered how this could happen in the greatest country in the world. Then like you say comes 9/11. This country will never be the same because of it.

17. Besides a boat, what is the most expensive fishing related item you have ever purchased?
I’m not one to spend tons of money for the best equipment on the market. Wal-Mart or Dick’s is where I have bought most of my equipment. I did spend over a hundred dollars on an 8 ½ foot rod to fish for steel head in NY. And my striper combo cost me $160.00. For me that’s a lot . I just never felt the need to buy the expensive stuff.

18. If you had to choose just one lure to catch most species in CT (both fresh and salt) what would it be?
It would have to be a jig head with some style of rubber grub. I have caught almost every species that swims in Ct waters on them. Just change sizes and colors to get to the depth of the fish you are targeting. It has never failed me.

My bro Tom with a March Striper. It was cold.

19. What is the most dangerous fishing situation you have ever been in?
Again it was on Lake Champlain in VT. A friend and I had planned a fall trip to fish for northern pike. When we got there the weather was not great. Lots of wind. We were in a rented 14” aluminum boat. We started down river on Little Otter Creek to the main lake. It looked mighty rough. We rounded the last corner to the lake and realized there were very large waves on the lake. I was afraid to try to turn the boat around. Thought I would flip it. We got into the first cove up lake and fished there for a few hours catching some nice pike. The weather was getting worse so we decided to leave. The lake had huge waves on it by now so our only recourse if we wanted to go was to pull the boat through the woods . That’s what we did. Pulled that boat a couple hundred yards on dry ground back to the river.

20. A new angler is looking to catch as many fishing as possible next spring. Size does not matter to him. What three bodies of water do you send him to, and how should he fish?

#1 Twin Lakes. You can catch many different species and I have always caught fish there. Troll #1 on the trolling motor with medium sized shiners. Put a small shot up the line a couple feet. My fav spoon is the “Rough Rider”You can’t miss.

#2 Wononscopomic (Lakeville). Best reason is no big motors allowed to run on the lake. Very peacefull and tons of fish. I take my grand kids there to catch numbers of fish. We are never disappointed. Worms and a bobber will catch most pan fish. Any bass lure you prefer will do well on largemouth bass.

#3 The CT River. Depending where you launch and what time of year it is you can catch large numbers of a variety of species. Pumpkin grubs on a quarter ounce jig head will catch you small mouth. White spinner baits will get you northern pike. Super flukes will get you striper. Cut or live bait on the bottom will get you catfish.

Ice Fishing Walleyes Lake X. \:\)