ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1687758 - 07/11/16 11:22 AM Any bullhead guys out there?
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
My son is back on his "I want to catch a catfish kick", and I keep hearing that chicken livers are the ticket so I picked some up planning on heading out tonight.

Mudge Pond seems to have a healthy population of good sized bullheads based on the state's electrofishing survey results from last year (more bullheads in the sample than the pickerel I seem to always catch when I'm there), so being close to home that's where we'll be headed. Any suggestions on the types of areas to target them? I thought I'd set him up with a sort of carolina type rigging. We'll be fishing from the boat.
Fishing Info
#1687759 - 07/11/16 11:46 AM Re: Any bullhead guys out there? [Re: onthewater102]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
I would target anywhere a small stream or brook that runs into it.

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1687826 - 07/12/16 06:37 AM Re: Any bullhead guys out there? [Re: onthewater102]
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
How did you do? I would do the good ole' juicy night crawler on the bottom.

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#1687827 - 07/12/16 06:43 AM Re: Any bullhead guys out there? [Re: PDona]
tommy Offline

Loc: Danbury
Originally Posted By: PDona
How did you do? I would do the good ole' juicy night crawler on the bottom.

2nd. the crawler.
#1687846 - 07/12/16 09:00 AM Re: Any bullhead guys out there? [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

My wife made plans to take the kids over to Mt. Tom at 4:45 yesterday, conveniently usurping my son's attention as unfortunately playing on a beach trumps fishing from a boat in a 3yr old's mind...so the chicken livers went in the freezer. Caught a nice 2lb LM out of the weeds alongside the swim area from her kayak just to spite her :-)

I'll get him out there again this weekend if nothing else & get back to you guys.
#1688489 - 07/18/16 03:46 PM Re: Any bullhead guys out there? [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Uhg, tried Mudge Friday evening @ both the eastern inlet & point between it & the weed choked cove by the boat launch - all I can say is DAMN CHICKEN LIVERS STINK!!! How anyone can eat those things is beyond me. Smelled like a rotten egg that was left to bake in the sun all day. Didn't get so much as a nibble. Targeted water that was 12' - 18'deep on a carolina style rigging after reading they can get finicky if they feel the weight once they pick up the bait.

Oh well, I've caught them on occasion bottom fishing for bass on Waramaug but they've been few and far between (four that I remember in 30 years of fishing there - two of which turned out to be white catfish.) Perhaps we'll try one of the catfish ponds later this summer once my sinuses have a chance to heal - I just hate put/take fisheries (sorry trout/salmon guys).

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics