ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1187193 - 02/25/10 10:21 PM leash law?
Flowbase Offline

Loc: newington
Is there a leash law. If so what is the exact law. I have seen so many dogs lately with no leashes on. I was out on the lake the other day with a three year old and a big German Sheppard came running at us. I would just like to know the law so I can inform the owners properly.

Thanks

Tim

A river unfished, is like a life unlived.

J--E--T--S JETS JETS JETS
Fishing Info
#1187241 - 02/26/10 12:18 AM Re: leash law? [Re: Flowbase]
RayZCT Offline

Loc: Glastonbury, CT
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2004/rpt/2004-R-0308.htm

Google for the leash laws from the town you were in also.

Z-Man Custom Fishing Rods
#1187426 - 02/26/10 04:33 PM Re: leash law? [Re: RayZCT]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Connecticut has laws coming out of the wazoo pertaining to dogs and zero, none, nada, pertaining to cats. It's perfectly legal to let your cat roam free, perfectly legal to let your cat walk all over someones, car, boat, or anything else. Cats can't be trapped, shot, or harmed in any way, they have the "law" on their side.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, just an issue I see as lop sideingly wrong.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1187427 - 02/26/10 04:42 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Bass Ackwards]
Capt. Karl Offline

Loc: Newtown, CT.
Bass, that why God made Fishercats..

Capt. Karl Former SEA\\TOW Candlewood Lake
#1187433 - 02/26/10 05:03 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Capt. Karl]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
BA

How many cats charge at people? How many cat bites do you hear about? There is some logic to this.
#1187982 - 02/28/10 08:28 PM Re: leash law? [Re: KillTaker]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Originally Posted By: SkunkConn
BA

There is some logic to this.

The hell there is. Cats all over my boat, cats all over my car, cats all over my ATV, and cats all over my property. Call the town and they give you the DEP's number to call, the DEP then gives you the correct number. Call them and they say it's perfectly legal, cats can't be touched. Call a friend who's a trapper and he tells me he can't trap them, the state tells him hands off. With rabies running rampant in this state, not to mention the other deseases that cats carry, they should be regulated just like any other pet. According to the state, cats can do whatever they want, whenever they want. My lawyer told me there is nothing he could do, he suggested I use lead.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1188148 - 03/01/10 12:08 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Bass Ackwards]
EnCon Police Offline

We don't handle domestic animals...that means dogs, cats, guinea pigs, horses, cows, chickens, ferrets (unless you're hunting with them), llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats, etc.

There is a regulation regarding keeping a dog on a leash in state parks and forests. If you are ice fishing and the dogs are on the ice, unless you are immediately adjacent to a state park or forest our regulation would not apply. At that point (and anywhere off of DEP property) the overall state statute would apply. This law is enforced by state and local Animal Control Officers.

Sec. 22-364. Dogs roaming at large. Intentional or reckless subsequent violation. (a) No owner or keeper of any dog shall allow such dog to roam at large upon the land of another and not under control of the owner or keeper or the agent of the owner or keeper, nor allow such dog to roam at large on any portion of any public highway and not attended or under control of such owner or keeper or his agent, provided nothing in this subsection shall be construed to limit or prohibit the use of hunting dogs during the open hunting or training season. The unauthorized presence of any dog on the land of any person other than the owner or keeper of such dog or on any portion of a public highway when such dog is not attended by or under the control of such owner or keeper, shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of the provisions of this subsection. Violation of any provision of this subsection shall be an infraction.

(b) Any owner or keeper of any dog who, knowing of the vicious propensities of such dog and having violated the provisions of subsection (a) of this section within the preceding year, intentionally or recklessly violates the provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than six months, or both, if such dog, while roaming at large, causes physical injury to another person and such other person was not teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog.

(1949 Rev., S. 3412; 1953, S. 1850d; 1963, P.A. 613, S. 32; P.A. 76-381, S. 11; P.A. 77-63, S. 2; P.A. 96-243, S. 11, 16.)

History: 1963 act specified what constitutes prima facie evidence of violation and distinguished between penalties for first and subsequent offenses, imposing twenty-five-dollar minimum and one-hundred-dollar maximum fine for subsequent offenses, and making imprisonment an optional penalty only for subsequent offenses where previously applicable to first offenses as well; P.A. 76-381 made violation an infraction, deleting previous penalty provisions; P.A. 77-63 prohibited dogs from roaming on any portion of highway, deleting language which had limited applicability of prohibition to those portions of highway "not adjacent to the premises of the owner or keeper"; P.A. 96-243 added Subsec. (b) re subsequent intentional or reckless violations, effective June 6, 1996.
#1188158 - 03/01/10 12:20 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Bass Ackwards]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
BA

I do totally understand what you are saying about annoying cats. My only point is that I am glad there are leash laws out there for dogs. I do agree that there needs to be some sort of control over cats that damage your property.
#1188258 - 03/01/10 04:29 PM Re: leash law? [Re: KillTaker]
Flowbase Offline

Loc: newington
I spend a lot of time at burr pond walking the trail and fishing there. Every time I am there I see at least 4 dogs without leases on. The dogs will run through your spread and hit your traps. I love dogs don't get me wrong but they should be kept on a leash in well populated areas. Burr pond is a great place for the dep to go on a saturday if they want to make the state some serious money in fines. Just my two cents.

As for cats, I have never heard of domestic cats hurting anyone. I have had cats all my life and I have never had any of them do any damage to cars, boats, or anything else like that. So what if there are some paw prints on the hood of your car and windshield. Dogs on the other hand are much more destructive.

When I was little I was knocked down by a St. Bernard who was just playing and it broke my arm. I have also seen dog fights where one dog was on a leash and the other not. It wasn't a pretty sight. People have been mauled to death by dogs. I have never heard of a person ever being killed by a domestic cat.

A river unfished, is like a life unlived.

J--E--T--S JETS JETS JETS
#1188259 - 03/01/10 04:38 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Flowbase]
meatdog Offline
I gots ya meatdogs right here

Loc: SE CT
free roaming cats actually have a signifcant impact in terms of song bird predation.

And Wisconsin's solution (almost)?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=662272&page=1

Dave

Edited by meatdog (03/01/10 04:41 PM)

Edited by SoundsFishy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics