ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1245683 - 08/29/10 04:44 PM dog conditioning and training on state land
zyg Offline

Capt.

Seems these signs are getting posted on WMA's and other public use lands of late.

Seems the law reference in Sec. 26-16-3a went into effect in 2008 but it's getting some new push.

(f) Dogs must be on a leash no longer than seven (7) feet and under the control of their owner or
keeper. The person responsible for the dog, must hold the leash at all times. The provisions of this
subsection shall not apply to the proper use of dogs while in the act of hunting or the training of
dogs for the specific purpose of hunting
, however all dogs may be prohibited on any area or during
any time period when so posted by the Department.
Amendment published in Conn. Law Journal November 5, 1996, effective October 18, 1996;
amendment published in Conn. Law Journal May 24, 2005, effective April 27, 2005; amendment
published in Conn. Law Journal March 25, 2008, effective February 29, 2008

Seems hunters have fewer places to run and train their hunting dogs before the season opens. The law also seems to conflict with Sec 226-49a when birds are not involved. The signs do not accurately reflect the TRAINING aspect stated in the law.

Sec. 26-49. Training of hunting dogs. Permits for liberation of artificially propagated birds. (a) Any person holding a valid hunting license issued as provided for under section 26-27 is authorized to train hunting dogs in the field during any closed season, except during any period when the woods and fields are closed by proclamation issued by the commissioner because of forest fire hazard, under regulations issued by the commissioner.

Are these misleading signs being posted because a push from anti-hunting groups or some other reason?
Fishing Info
#1246339 - 08/31/10 02:30 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: zyg]
Murph Offline

Loc: CT. Got a problem with that?
I don't think they are due to 'anti-hunters'.
I think it is just the opposite. I believe there were several cases where unleashed untrained uncontrollable dogs started trouble with hunting dogs and hunters.

If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.

#1246349 - 08/31/10 03:16 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: Murph]
zyg Offline

Murph, could be, but it doesn't explain the incongruity between what the law states and what the sign says.

EnCon been around here lately?
#1246539 - 09/01/10 10:02 AM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: zyg]
DJP Offline

Zyg,

My opinion is the signs are not the outcome of a push from anti hunters, but rather a step towards enforcement by the DEP as they work the issue of unleashed dogs causing problems on state lands. If memory serves, the DEP mentioned two specific areas of concern around unleashed dogs:

1. There are ongoing challenges and occasional confrontations between dog trainers (field trial, hunt test, retriever clubs) and "non trainers" who simply let their dogs run free, such as at WMA's like Nod Brook in Avon.

2. Dogs roaming on and off trails at various state wildlife areas has led to a decline in small animal and bird sightings, and perceived reduction in their populations. The Belding tract in Vernon was mentioned as a place where this concern exists.

Last year, former BNR Chief Ed Parker said that the Dept expects a significant fight over the leash law from well funded and organized local groups, such as those in Avon. I'm assuming the signs are a first step as enforcement efforts are ramped up.

Regarding the language shown on the sign, I'm thinking that training was left off because they didn't want to call attention to other exemptions to the leash law. I don't know this to be true, just a guess on my part.

Perhaps EnCon could provide clarification.
#1246674 - 09/01/10 07:42 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: DJP]
Bass addict Offline

Loc: Wethersfield, CT
Put your dog on a leash people, I don't want my kids to be the ginny pig to see if your dog is a biter or not. There are so many stupid dog owners out there, glad to see the state trying to at least remind them of the rules.

I live in Wethersfield and there is a dog park at Mill woods that is gated and fenced, that allows for owners to release their dogs. Yet, I have been cornered with my son/daughter on numerous occassions by dogs off leashes while at the playground and their are their owners are no where in site. Then when I confront the owner, they act like I am being inconsiderate for trying to protect my kids.

"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
- Kenneth Grahame
#1246731 - 09/01/10 11:23 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: Bass addict]
DJP Offline

Bass addict,

You're preaching to the choir here. I'd venture to guess that everyone on this thread has been on the receiving end of that kind of inconsiderate behavior. I know that my patience has been tested more than once at Nod Brook by the great clueless masses who have chosen not to train and/or leash their mutts.

They have no idea why I don't want to let my dog "play" with someone's untrained cur, and they get offended when I ask them to control their dog as the mutt tries to chase and/or hump my retriever as he is returning with a training bumper, or sitting waiting for a hand signal from me. In one instance, it was a good thing that my training pistol was only loaded with blanks!
#1247088 - 09/03/10 12:26 AM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: zyg]
Trooper_Bri Offline

Loc: Smellington
Originally Posted By: zyg
EnCon been around here lately?

Wondered that myself.
Either Capt is vacationing at his home in Maine, or some of the disrespectful a$$hole comments from this thread bunker bandits is the final straw for him here.

Slow fishing is better than no fishing.
#1250445 - 09/15/10 01:54 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: Trooper_Bri]
EnCon Police Offline

We've had a number of complaints of people using WMAs as dog parks. The regulation was changed in 2008 and the signs were posted to bring the change to everyone's attention. If you are hunting or actively training your dog you won't have a problem. When you are done training/hunting, put the dog on a leash and you're good to go.
#1250460 - 09/15/10 02:31 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: EnCon Police]
Pistol Offline

BIG Yellow Broom Stick

Loc: South Reading, VT
Thanks capt!

I miss my Uncle Lewie....However;
I know he's with me on every fishing trip.

2009 CT Saltwater Angler of the Year ~> CT DEEP
1st Place 2009 Team Tuesday Fluke Off

My wife Claire with the Red hair is: A Flukin Princess
Get Outdoors and Enjoy Life!
Lifetime member of the NRA
#1250467 - 09/15/10 02:45 PM Re: dog conditioning and training on state land [Re: Pistol]
zyg Offline

Thanks Capt.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics