ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1567812 - 03/26/14 01:32 PM Hybrid dog/coyotes
Tieg Offline

Loc: SE CT
http://www.wfsb.com/story/25069402/possi...ngton-residents

So referencing the above story from WFSB...what do these hybrids look like. I saw a VERY large coyote or what I believed to be a coyote although estimated it to be around 100 lbs based on the size comparison to my 80 lb dog this past Jan. It was in my backyard around 2 in the morning raising all kinds of a hassle till I drove it off with my spotlight...although it didn't seem to scared of the spotlight. It just ran around the yard for about a min trying to get out of the spotlight before it took off. Could this have been one of them? or do coyotes actually get that big? I thought they usually didn't get much more then 60-70 lbs. This was in uncasville by the way off of leffingwell road.

I put it in this forum because DEEP is investigating and I believe I read that one was shot. Curious if it looked like a large white german shepherd like in the story or was actually more coyotish colored.

Edited by Tieg (03/26/14 01:33 PM)

"I think of this war as it really is, not as the people at home imagine, with a hoorah! and a roar. It is very serious, very grim…"
Manfred von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron)
Fishing Info
#1567819 - 03/26/14 01:55 PM Re: Hybrid dog/coyotes [Re: Tieg]
EnCon Police Offline

They can look like a regular dog. Depending on what type of dog was bred with a wolf will determine size/color, etc. A wolf/German Shepard hybrid will look a lot different than a wolf/Husky hybrid. Also, it depends on how many generations the animal is from the wolf/dog pairing. Legally in CT you can't have any thing that is any part wolf so a 1/16th or 1/32nd wolf and remainder dog would still be illegal. It requires a DNA test to figure out if they are a hybrid or not. And yes, coyotes do get pretty big around here. I've seen them in the western part of the state that were the size of German Shepards. They have a lot to eat so they grow pretty healthy. Coyotes acclimate very easily to human habitation, they've even been spotted in Central Park in NYC.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics