ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1208932 - 05/05/10 10:01 AM Possession Question
George Fisher Offline

I have a CT lobstering license. If I have a lobster on board and head to NY waters to fish will I be in violation since I don't have a NY license? I know if I have a 20" fluke that was caught in CT it is illeagal to have it in NY waters.
Thanks
Fishing Info
#1208990 - 05/05/10 01:31 PM Re: Possession Question [Re: George Fisher]
EnCon Police Offline

Just checked with my counterpart in our Marine District. We do NOT have reciprocity with NY for lobster licenses. Therefore, for you to be in legal possession of the lobster in NY waters you would need a NY lobster license/permit.

#1212451 - 05/16/10 02:46 AM Re: Possession Question [Re: EnCon Police]
CrazyGregg1 Offline

Loc: Willington/Union CT
This just makes me wonder, What did we Ever do to NewYork that they have to be such pains about reciprocating with us on just about everything? I know they also dont like our law Enforcement slipping into their state either.theres no reciprocity there either like we have with Ma & RI.But yet we get stuck with all their morons on Candlewood,Rocky Neck,etc.

Its Better to be Hated for who you are than loved for who your not..And If you wanna here God laugh ,tell him your plans...
#1212760 - 05/17/10 10:17 AM Re: Possession Question [Re: CrazyGregg1]
BHansenSFD Offline

Loc: North Haven, CT
In most cases if we do not show reciprocity for their licenses they do not do so for ours. When I called MA division of marine fisheries I asked if they would honor my CT license while fishing there and they told me no because we do not honor theirs here.
#1213786 - 05/20/10 01:15 PM Re: Possession Question [Re: BHansenSFD]
EnCon Police Offline

The way the laws are written, if another state recognizes our license/permit, then we recognize theirs. New York doesn't recognize ours.

Each state gets to set their own laws and regulations....one state can't tell another state what to do.
#1213790 - 05/20/10 01:38 PM Re: Possession Question [Re: EnCon Police]
macattack678 Offline

USN (Ret)

Loc: North Stonington
The won't recognize ours if we don't recognize theirs.......We won't recognize theirs if they don't recognize ours....."Can't we all just get along?" How about we go 1, 2, 3 and we both recognize each others at the same time?

Edited by macattack678 (05/20/10 01:40 PM)

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions."

"Great fishermen are not born that way.....They become so through a lifetime of neglecting other things in their lives."

"Don't try to explain it. Just nod your head. Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on.

#1213803 - 05/20/10 02:47 PM Re: Possession Question [Re: macattack678]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: macattack678
The won't recognize ours if we don't recognize theirs.......We won't recognize theirs if they don't recognize ours....."Can't we all just get along?" How about we go 1, 2, 3 and we both recognize each others at the same time?

That's fine.....but you need to get the legislature from each state to get on board.

Also - if they don't recognize our license/permit, then you need to purchase their license/permit and they get the money.

In all fairness, NY will recognize our Marine license in bordering waters of LIS. If RI and MA institute a license that has wording to recognize the CT marine license then we will automatically have reciprocity with them. Most states have reciprocity for bordering waters in the inland areas. For example, a CT license is valid on all of Colebrook, Beach Pond, Breakneck Pond and Congamond.

Edited by EnCon Police (05/20/10 02:51 PM)
#1213923 - 05/20/10 11:35 PM Re: Possession Question [Re: EnCon Police]
macattack678 Offline

USN (Ret)

Loc: North Stonington
Cap I know that would take the legislators to all get on board, it just get a little frustrating....it ought to be easy.

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions."

"Great fishermen are not born that way.....They become so through a lifetime of neglecting other things in their lives."

"Don't try to explain it. Just nod your head. Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on.

#1214313 - 05/22/10 07:05 AM Re: Possession Question [Re: macattack678]
CrazyGregg1 Offline

Loc: Willington/Union CT
It was my understanding the reason Ma isnt reciprocating with the marine license yet is they wont have one til Jan 2011. once they do then they will recip. I know RI did decide to implement one but I havent heard when they plan on starting.

Its Better to be Hated for who you are than loved for who your not..And If you wanna here God laugh ,tell him your plans...
#1214564 - 05/23/10 01:42 AM Re: Possession Question [Re: CrazyGregg1]
tomashton Offline

Loc: Plainville
CrazyGregg1, Here is information on Rhode Islands saltwater licenses, I got this information from the Providence Journal (projo.com)

The link to the article is below

http://www.projo.com/outdoors/content/Outdoor_Notes_032810_03-28-10_28HSVIV_v8.31c00e2.html

Here are requirements for saltwater licenses

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, March 28, 2010

Rhode Island’s new saltwater fishing license will be available by April 15, said John M. Lake, a principal biologist with the state Department of Environmental Management (DEM). He was one of the agency’s representatives at the Northeast Saltwater Fishing Show in Providence last week.

There is so much misinformation about the new license that we asked state fishing authorities from Rhode Island and Massachusetts to explain the new requirements.

Rhode Island’s new license will cost $7 for state residents, and $10 for non-residents, and it will be valid for 2010. A seven-day license will cost $5, Lake said.

The license will be available online and at bait-and-tackle shops that have the ability to go online for you.

Connecticut and Massachusetts will honor Rhode Island’s license.

Residents of Massachusetts will need a federal permit to fish the Bay State this season, said Paul Caruso, a senior marine fisheries biologist in Massachusetts. The federal permit is free for Massachusetts residents this year.

Next year, Massachusetts will have its own state saltwater fishing license.

Rhode Island will honor the federal permit this season, and the Massachusetts permit next season.

Who needs a saltwater license? Anyone fishing for anadromous fish, such as striped bass, white perch and sea-run trout, in tidal waters. And anyone fishing for any fish in federal waters.

Anglers are exempt from buying a saltwater license if they are under 16 years old; are fishing on licensed charter or party boats; hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling Permit or are commercially fishing with a valid license.

“The first year will be a period of education,” said Mark Sanders, a Rhode Island environment police officer who attended the show for the DEM. He said officers will use “discretion and education” in enforcing the new license law this season.

The new saltwater-fishing permits are like the Harvest Information Permits (HIP cards) that hunters of migratory birds must have. HIP cards and the saltwater licenses give fish and wildlife managers the ability to contact hunters and fishermen directly to see what they are shooting and catching.

With better information, regulators believe that they will be able to make better decisions about regulations.

Buckeyes arrived in Rhode Island last week, so striped bass cannot be far behind, said the DEM’s Ray Jobin.

Watch this column and HotBytes on projo.com for information about obtaining a license to catch those stripers.

Stocking up on trout

The state Depart of Environmental Management has begun stocking about 100 streams and ponds for Opening Day of trout season, April 10.

In addition to the six regular ponds that are restricted to children 14 years of age and younger, Cass Pond in Woonsocket and Slater Park Pond in Pawtucket will be open for children only for the first two days of the fishing season. A fishing derby for children in Woonsocket is being held at Cass Pond on Saturday, April 10.

A 2010 fishing license is required for anglers15 years old and older who fish for trout. A Trout Conservation Stamp is also required for anyone who keeps a trout or fishes in a catch-and-release or “fly-fishing only” Fishing licenses are available now, and the $5.50 trout stamp will be available at the end of March, according to a DEM spokeswoman. Both can be obtained at any city or town clerk’s office or authorized agent such as bait and tackle shops and Benny’s.

License fees remain at $18 for Rhode Island residents and current members of the Armed Forces, $33 for a combination hunting and fishing license, $35 for non-residents, and $16 for a tourist three-consecutive-day license. Anglers over 65 must have a license, which is free, but do not need a trout stamp. The license is also free for anyone with a 100 percent disability.

tmeade@projo.com

http://tomashton.proboards.com/

My improved fishing,hunting,camping and boating Website.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics