ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1265028 - 11/02/10 04:58 PM bait question...
triton186 Offline

for context purposes, i have a crayfish trap and my bait question applies to that trap.

in the anglers guide under the definition of bait it says you can use most fish as bait with a few exceptions (bass, trout, and some others). i have read that certain fish (salmon and trout) are the best types. obviously salmon is out of the question. my question is, can u use trout heads, guts, and skin from fish that i have cleaned and use it as bait in the crayfish trap. if i remember correctly, the definition of bait included the use of a hook and fish, either live or dead. since there is no hook in the trap is the use of trout parts legal in the trap?
Fishing Info
#1265043 - 11/02/10 05:50 PM Re: bait question... [Re: triton186]
EnCon Police Offline

The following regulation limits which legally caught fish can not be used as bait. Trout it listed so using trout parts would not be permitted.

26-112-43. Definitions and restrictions

(b) "Bait" means any animal, bait species as defined in Section 26-112-45(d), fish eggs, insect or vegetable, or parts thereof, living or dead, used with a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally acquired, except black bass (largemouth and smallmouth), chain pickerel, northern pike, trout, charr, salmon, carp and goldfish may be used as bait, except as provided in section 26-112-48(b).
#1265270 - 11/03/10 12:03 PM Re: bait question... [Re: triton186]
triton186 Offline

i should have been more detailed about my crayfish trap description

in the definition (b) it mentions "used with a hook" my the crayfish trap uses no hooks. its basically a wire mesh tunnel and the bait/fish parts are actually put inside of a wire mesh "box" about the size of a cigi pack i'm not trying to nit pick i just want to be clear and accurate
#1265304 - 11/03/10 01:38 PM Re: bait question... [Re: triton186]
EnCon Police Offline

If you are not using the "fish parts" on a hook there is no problem then. Obviously don't jam a whole trout in the trap, but if you are using the leftovers after you clean a legally caught fish, you are good to go.
#1265309 - 11/03/10 02:02 PM Re: bait question... [Re: EnCon Police]
triton186 Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Obviously don't jam a whole trout in the trap, but if you are using the leftovers after you clean a legally caught fish, you are good to go.

yes sir, the fillets get eaten buy the 2 legged animals aka my nephews! lol just the scraps for trap gills, head, and skin its actually the best part for bait.

thank you ENCON!

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics