ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1407006 - 04/12/12 11:09 PM Fish Racks
bonanzaman Offline

Loc: Monroe, CT
Hi,
I posted this in another forum but didn't get a firm answer.

"What's the rules about keeping fish racks after fileting?
Lets say I catch a keeper fish, now i need to walk a few miles from the fishing spot(past other fishing spots)to reach my car. Do i need to keep the racks until I reach my car or can I dispose of them where I fileted it?"

It's great to have you guys on site!

Dave
Fishing Info
#1407016 - 04/12/12 11:35 PM Re: Fish Racks [Re: bonanzaman]
shellback Offline

Depends on what fish you catch.
#1407062 - 04/13/12 03:10 AM Re: Fish Racks [Re: shellback]
bonanzaman Offline

Loc: Monroe, CT
Lets say stripers or blackfish. Salt water.
#1407104 - 04/13/12 12:02 PM Re: Fish Racks [Re: bonanzaman]
EnCon Police Offline

26-159a-2. Striped bass (Morone saxatilis)
(a) The minimum legal length and daily creel limit for striped bass shall be as specified in sections 26-159a-4 and 26-159a-7, respectively, of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.
(b) No person shall sell, exchange, or offer for sale or exchange any striped bass taken from the waters of this state. Striped bass taken from the waters of a state in which commercial striped bass fishing is allowed may only be possessed for commercial purposes in Connecticut provided they meet the minimum length specified in section 26-159a-4 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies and each fish is affixed with that state's valid, current commercial striped bass tag.
(c) No person shall possess, sell, exchange, or offer for sale or exchange any striped bass, regardless where taken, less than the minimum length, except that artificially reared hybrid striped bass (one parent Morone saxatilis) which are less than the minimum length, may be possessed and sold under the following conditions:
(1) such fish, when offered for sale, shall be accompanied by documentation showing that such fish were propagated in a licensed commercial fish hatchery; and
(2) such documentation shall include the name and address of the owner of the hatchery of origin, the number and description of fish received in the current shipment, and the shipping date and date of receipt of the current shipment.
(d) Striped bass shall not be taken except by angling and the use of a gaff in the taking of striped bass is prohibited.
(e) Any striped bass taken contrary to the provisions of this section shall, without avoidable injury, be returned immediately to the waters from which taken, provided that notwithstanding the provisions of sections 26-159a-4 and 26-159a-7 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, anglers participating in a tagging program approved by the Department of Environmental Protection . Commissioner of Environmental Protection may apply tags to and release striped bass sixteen inches or greater in total length.
(f) The provisions of this section shall not be construed to restrict the number of legally acquired fish that may be kept in storage in the home or other storage facilities.
(g) No person shall land or possess on the waters of this state or on any parcel of land, structure, or portion of a roadway abutting tidal waters of this state any striped bass from which the head or tail has been removed or which has otherwise been rendered unidentifiable as a striped bass or unable to be measured.

26-159a-4.Minimum lengths
(a) No person, while on the waters of this state or on any parcel of land, structure, or portion of a roadway abutting tidal waters of this state shall possess or land any fish of the following species taken by sport fishing methods, regardless of where taken, if it is less than the identified length as measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail:
(1) Scup (porgy) (Stenotomus chrysops): 10.5 inches, except that no person on a vessel operating under the authority of a party/charter vessel registration issued under section 26-142a of the Connecticut General Statutes shall possess or land fish less than 11 inches;
(2) Winter flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus): 12 inches;
(3) Summer flounder (fluke) (Paralichthys dentatus): 19.5 inches;
(4) Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua): the length specified in 50 CFR 648.89;
(5) Haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus): the length specified in 50 CFR 648.89;
(6) Yellowtail flounder (Limanda ferruginea): 13 inches;
(7) Tautog (blackfish) (Tautoga onitis): 14 inches;
(8) Pollock (Pollachius virens): the length specified in 50 CFR 648.89;
(9) Weakfish (Cynoscion regalis): 16 inches;
(10) Black sea bass (Centropristis striata): 12 inches;
(11) American eel (Anguilla rostrata): 6 inches;
(12) White perch (Morone Americana): 7 inches; and
(13) Striped bass (Morone saxatilis): 28 inches.
(b) Any of said species taken contrary to subsection (a) of this section shall, without avoidable injury, be returned immediately to the water from which taken. Culling or high-grading, as defined in section 26-142a-16 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, is prohibited, except in fishing tournaments granted an exemption by the Commissioner of Environmental Protection pursuant to section 26-159a-26 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies. This subsection shall not be construed to prevent tagging and release of fish, other than striped bass, under a tagging program consistent with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s standards for scientific tagging programs.
(c) No person engaged in sport fishing shall possess any summer flounder fillet less than the minimum total length for the species unless the carcass of the fish from which the fillet was removed has been retained and meets the minimum length. This subsection shall not be construed to prevent filleting of fish on shore or at the dockside.
#1407197 - 04/13/12 08:27 PM Re: Fish Racks [Re: EnCon Police]
Paul D. Offline

Lifetime Member

Loc: South Central, CT
Ok now for a real dumb question. The Anglers guide states that it is just a guide and to consult state statutes for actual laws.

So that would mean that the section on minimum lengths 26-159a-4 above is the "letter of the law".

Yet the information we have been provided by the DEEP for the current season differs.

Note particularly :

Summer flounder 18"
Black sea bass 13"
Tog 16"

Marine Recreational Fisheries
Regulations for 2012
Effective March 14, 2012

Striped Bass
Minimum length: 28 inches
Daily creel limit: 2 fish per angler
Open Season: Open Year Round

Bonus Striped Bass Fishing Program

Striped Bass Image

Summer Flounder (Fluke)
Minimum length: 18 inches

Daily creel limit: 5 fish per angler
Open Season: May 15 - October 31

Enhanced Opportunity Shore
Fishing Sites. Min. Length: 16 inches

Summer Flounder Image

Tautog (Blackfish)
Minimum length: 16 inches

Open Season: April 1 - April 30,
2 fish per angler
Open Season: July 1 - August 31,
2 fish per angler
Open Season: October 10 - Dec. 6
4 fish per angler

Tautog (Blackfish) Image

Scup (Porgy)
Minimum length: 10.5 inches
Daily creel limit: 20 fish per angler
Open Season: May 1 - December 31

Party/Charter Vessels:
Min Length, Creel Limit, Open Season:
11 inches, 20 fish per angler from
May 1 - August 31 and Nov. 1 - Dec. 31
40 fish per angler from Sept. 1 - Oct. 31

Fishing Sites. Min. Length: 9 inches

Scup (Porgy) Image
Bluefish
Minimum length: None
Daily creel limit: 10 fish per angler
(including "snappers")

Bluefish Image

Black Sea Bass
Minimum length: 13 inches*

Daily creel limit: 15 fish per angler
Open Season: June 15 - December 31

* Excluding Tail Fin Filament (Tendril).

Black Sea Bass Image

Weakfish (Sea Trout)
Daily creel limit: 1 fish

Weakfish Image

Winter Flounder
Minimum length: 12 inches
Open Season: Open April 1 - May 30
Winter Flounder Image

Hickory Shad / American Shad
Daily creel limit: 6 fish per angler
(Both species in aggregate)

Hickory Shad Image

American Shad image

White Perch
Minimum length: 7 inches
Daily creel limit: 30 fish per angler

White Perch Image

American Eel
Minimum length: 6 inches
Daily creel limit: 50 fish per angler

American eel

Atlantic Cod
Minimum length: 22 inches
Daily creel limit: 10 per angler
Atlantic cod

Haddock
Daily creel limit: None
Haddock

Pollock
Minimum length: 19 inches
Pollock

Blue Crab
Minimum shell width (spike tip to spike tip)
5 inches - Hard shell
3 1/2 inches - Soft shell
Open Season: May 1 - November 30
Blue Crab Image

Content last updated on April 5, 2012

Here is the link : http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322740&depNav_GID=1647

So I guess the question would be have the statues not been up dated?
Or Will we be considered "in violation" if we follow the April 5th listings??? I am so confused.

Edited by Paul D. (04/13/12 08:54 PM)

Boat Ho in the Know

Team DILLIGAF

#1407219 - 04/13/12 10:52 PM Re: Fish Racks [Re: bonanzaman]
FarmerJay Offline

Chum Bucket Jedi

Loc: Wallingford CT
Quote:
(g) No person shall land or possess on the waters of this state or on any parcel of land, structure, or portion of a roadway abutting tidal waters of this state any striped bass from which the head or tail has been removed or which has otherwise been rendered unidentifiable as a striped bass or unable to be measured.

I guess I need to rethink things. I often stay on my boat for the full weekend, Friday afternoon thru Monday morning. I thought I was following the rules of minimum lengths, and daily bag limits faithfully, but after reading this, I might be breaking the law without knowing it.

I often fillet my catch (Tog, Strpied Bass, Black SeaBass, Scup, Fluke or Flounder depending on the weekend and what's in season) when I return to my slip, feed the racks to the crabs, then pack the fillets on ice in a cooler located in my truck so I don't carry them out on the water with me the following day.

On my trip home Monday, the way I have been doing it, I could potentially be traveling home with 4 days of fillets, without racks to boot. (I'm not this good, I have never limited out every day, that's why I said "potentially")

I never thought about it, but being "Roadway" is mentioned in what was posted, I am breaking the law on two fronts. Possession limit as well as transporting fillets without the racks even though it could potentially be 4 days later.

I thought because my trip was over and I was back at my slip, I was in the clear with both racks and possession limits, but I guess not.

Edited by FarmerJay (04/13/12 10:57 PM)

It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles, that you realize that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence ...

Team "Just one more drift"

Team I'm not messin with JuJu ever again!!!!!!!

Re: Chum Bucket......There's too much gross #*&! in those picture threads; I can't look at them. Doing so scars my soul.
#1407236 - 04/13/12 11:39 PM Re: Fish Racks [Re: Paul D.]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul D.
Ok now for a real dumb question. The Anglers guide states that it is just a guide and to consult state statutes for actual laws.

So that would mean that the section on minimum lengths 26-159a-4 above is the "letter of the law".

Yet the information we have been provided by the DEEP for the current season differs.

So I guess the question would be have the statues not been up dated?
Or Will we be considered "in violation" if we follow the April 5th listings??? I am so confused.

@#$*&%%$@!!!!!! I forgot I had the old regulation on my computer. My bad....when I get back to work Monday I'll dig up the new regulation. I know there were changes so I'll get the update posted. Sorry for the confusion.

Farmerjay, a good way to handle it would be to keep the racks with the fillets until you get back to shore. Keep some plastic bags handy to wrap the racks in. I know you would never take an undersize fish, but believe it or not, (I'm letting you in on a professional secret here...) sometimes people lie to the police....not you...those other guys! Sometimes people will take short fish and claim they didn't do a good job filleting the legal size fish. Play it safe and keep the racks, that's your proof that you are legal.
#1407246 - 04/14/12 12:18 AM Re: Fish Racks [Re: bonanzaman]
FarmerJay Offline

Chum Bucket Jedi

Loc: Wallingford CT
I know there are all kinds out there, and many that try to cheat the system, that's why I'm asking. I don't want to end up being thrown into that catagory.

I do keep the racks all the way up until I tie up in my slip and start cleaning both the fish and my boat.

My concern was my ride home Monday morning with fillets I got from fishing Friday, Saturday, Sunday and possibly Monday. By the way I read "roadway" in the post you made, I assume that ride home falls under "Roadway" and the possession limit as well as the ruling of needing to retain the racks? That's going to be one smelly bag of racks to drive home with Monday morning!!!!!!!

Oh, chit, nevermind, I read too fast again. I see now "roadway" has additional wording with it to say "roadway abutting tidal waters".

I guess I can assume I'm legal to drive home Monday with my catch (fillets) from the weekend now as long as I'm not on a roadway abutting tidal waters. Sorry for the confusion.

It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles, that you realize that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence ...

Team "Just one more drift"

Team I'm not messin with JuJu ever again!!!!!!!

Re: Chum Bucket......There's too much gross #*&! in those picture threads; I can't look at them. Doing so scars my soul.
#1407251 - 04/14/12 12:33 AM Re: Fish Racks [Re: FarmerJay]
Paul D. Offline

Lifetime Member

Loc: South Central, CT
Just tryin' to help keep the cob webs dusted off laugh laugh.

Boat Ho in the Know

Team DILLIGAF

#1407783 - 04/16/12 11:57 AM Re: Fish Racks [Re: bonanzaman]
EnCon Police Offline

OK - here's the latest: (You still need to keep the racks as outlined above....that didn't change.)

March 14, 2012
2012 RECREATIONAL FISHING MEASURES

Under authority of Sections 26-25 and 26-159a of the Connecticut General Statutes and Section 26-159a-22 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection is authorized to establish or adjust, by declaration, closed seasons, length limits, creel limits, trip limits and trip limit adjustment values in order to meet the harvest level for efficient management and to comply with interstate fishery management plans adopted by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC).

Regulations governing recreational fishing are amended as follows:

Black Sea Bass:
Open Season: June 15 to December 31, inclusive, Minimum Size: 13 inches, Creel Limit: 15 fish;
Open Season: June 15 to December 31, inclusive, Minimum Size: 13 inches, Creel Limit: 15 fish;

Scup:
Open Season: May 1 – December 31, inclusive, Minimum Size: 10.5 inches, Creel Limit: 20 fish;
except that on vessels holding a party/charter registration with DEEP, the minimum size is 11 inches and from September 1 to October 31 the possession limit for paying passengers is 40 fish.
Open Season: May 1 – December 31, inclusive, Minimum Size: 10.5 inches, Creel Limit: 20 fish; that on vessels holding a party/charter registration with DEEP, the minimum size is 11 inches and from September 1 to October 31 the possession limit for paying passengers is 40 fish.

Summer Flounder:
Open Season: May 15 to October 31, inclusive, Minimum Size: 18 inches, Creel Limit: 5 fish;
Open Season: May 15 to October 31, inclusive, Minimum Size: 18 inches, Creel Limit: 5 fish;

Tautog:
Minimum Size at all times: 16 inches.
Open Season: April 1 to April 30, inclusive, Creel Limit: 2 fish;
Open Season: July 1 to August 31, inclusive, Creel Limit: 2 fish;
Open Season: October 10 to December 6, inclusive, Creel Limit: 4 fish;
Minimum Size at all times: 16 inches.Open Season: April 1 to April 30, inclusive, Creel Limit: 2 fish;Open Season: July 1 to August 31, inclusive, Creel Limit: 2 fish;Open Season: October 10 to December 6, inclusive, Creel Limit: 4 fish;

Enhanced Opportunity Shore Angler Program:
At 42 public fishing sites (the list will be posted soon at www.ct.gov/deep/fishing by clicking on "saltwater recreational"), the minimum sizes are adjusted as follows:

Summer flounder: Minimum Size: 16 inches, (Open Season: May 15 to October 31, 5 fish limit);

Scup: Minimum Size: 9 inches, (Open Season: May 1 to December 31, 20 fish limit).

At 42 public fishing sites (the list will be posted soon at by clicking on "saltwater recreational"), the minimum sizes are adjusted as follows: Minimum Size: 16 inches, (Open Season: May 15 to October 31, 5 fish limit); Minimum Size: 9 inches, (Open Season: May 1 to December 31, 20 fish limit).

Striped Bass Bonus Fishery Program:
The striped bass bonus fishery introduced on the Connecticut River only in 2011 is expanded to all state waters in 2012. During May and June, anglers possessing a valid 2012 Connecticut Bonus Striped Bass Voucher may possess one striped bass in the designated slot of at least 22 inches but less than 28 inches total length for each voucher possessed, up to two bonus fish per day, provided the angler immediately fills out the voucher recording the date caught and the total length in ink. The vouchers must be kept with the fish until the angler returns home then the voucher must be mailed back to Marine Fisheries (the vouchers are pre-addressed and postage paid on the reverse side). Vouchers will be distributed at selected DEEP facilities, by EnCon Officers, Marine Angler Survey creel agents and other outlets. Further details on this program will be announced in a subsequent notice.
: The striped bass bonus fishery introduced on the Connecticut River only in 2011 is expanded to all state waters in 2012. During May and June, anglers possessing a valid 2012 Connecticut Bonus Striped Bass Voucher may possess one striped bass in the designated slot of at least 22 inches but less than 28 inches total length for each voucher possessed, up to two bonus fish per day, provided the angler immediately fills out the voucher recording the date caught and the total length in ink. The vouchers must be kept with the fish until the angler returns home then the voucher must be mailed back to Marine Fisheries (the vouchers are pre-addressed and postage paid on the reverse side). Vouchers will be distributed at selected DEEP facilities, by EnCon Officers, Marine Angler Survey creel agents and other outlets. Further details on this program will be announced in a subsequent notice.

In addition, anglers are reminded that the possession limit for winter flounder is 2 fish and for weakfish 1 fish. Refer to the 2012 Angler’s Guide for complete Marine Recreational Fishing Regulations. The Guide is expected to be delivered from the printer to licensing outlets beginning April 4.
For further information, contact the DEEP Marine Fisheries Division by email at dep.marine.fisheries@ct.gov, by mail at P.O. Box 719, Old Lyme, CT 06371 or by telephone at 860.434.6043 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

Striped Bass
Minimum length: 28 inches

Bonus Striped Bass Fishing Program

Summer Flounder (Fluke)
Daily creel limit: 5 fish per angler
Open Season: May 15 - October 31

Fishing Sites. Min. Length: 16 inches

Tautog (Blackfish)
Open Season: April 1 - April 30,
2 fish per angler
Open Season: July 1 - August 31,
2 fish per angler
Open Season: October 10 - Dec. 6
4 fish per angler

Scup (Porgy)
Minimum length: 10.5 inches
Daily creel limit: 20 fish per angler
Open Season: May 1 - December 31

Party/Charter Vessels:
Min Length, Creel Limit, Open Season:
11 inches, 20 fish per angler from
May 1 - August 31 and Nov. 1 - Dec. 31
40 fish per angler from Sept. 1 - Oct. 31

Fishing Sites. Min. Length: 9 inches

Bluefish
Daily creel limit: 10 fish per angler
(including "snappers")

Black Sea Bass
Minimum length: 13 inches*
Daily creel limit: 15 fish per angler
Open Season: June 15 - December 31

* Excluding Tail Fin Filament (Tendril).

Weakfish (Sea Trout)
Daily creel limit: 1 fish

Winter Flounder
Minimum length: 12 inches
Open Season: Open April 1 - May 30

Hickory Shad / American Shad
Daily creel limit: 6 fish per angler
(Both species in aggregate)