ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1565451 - 03/13/14 10:53 PM Hunting near someone baiting
deep callin Offline

This question was asked by someone on CTBowhunting.com

So here's the deal... My brother owns a little over 2 acres it is a narrow piece of property, only about 70 feet wide, but then it goes back. His new neighbor that moved in this passed summer put a feeder behind his house. There is a steep hill that drops down into the woods and the deer run the bottom of the hill and also bed down at the bottom of it. I wanted to hunt my brothers property last year but was very hesitant because of the feeder I don't want to get bagged for what someone else is doing. What are the rules of ring near a feeder? To my understanding you can bait all you want in ct but you can not hunt over the bait... So how far away do I have to be so that I am not a target of being bagged by DEEP?

CTF Profile

Isaac
Euro Mounts and Skulls
203-623-0627
Fishing Info
#1565452 - 03/13/14 11:09 PM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
What zone?
#1565461 - 03/14/14 05:26 AM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
deep callin Offline

not in zone 11-12 for sure.

CTF Profile

Isaac
Euro Mounts and Skulls
203-623-0627
#1565466 - 03/14/14 06:48 AM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
Four Ten Offline

This passed season I had the same problem deer changed there pattern found out neighboring property owner was feeding deer. Deer where passing by my stand heading for the food, stopped hunting because I didn't want any issues. Looking forward to Enconns view on this.

.....Possessing more tackle than talent !!!
#1566688 - 03/20/14 11:16 AM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
bk Offline

Loc: Newtown
Originally Posted By: deep callin
This question was asked by someone on CTBowhunting.com

To my understanding you can bait all you want in ct but you can not hunt over the bait

If you can bait you can hunt over it.
#1566692 - 03/20/14 11:27 AM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
Mycept Offline

I was told a few years back by an ENCON officer that if I "knew" someone was baiting or feeding deer and I used that to my advantage that it "could" be used against me if someone really wanted to.

Personally, if someone on an adjacent property throws corn out for the deer to feed them and I kill them on their way over there - i don't see why I should be at fautl whatsoever. Its no different than hunting next to someones corn field or food plot IMO.....
#1566698 - 03/20/14 12:20 PM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
Inspector Gadget Offline

Loc: Columbia, CT.
Very good question, i hunt turkeys in a rural area where the neighbors have bird feeders would that count as baiting?

Be a sportsman always.
#1566700 - 03/20/14 12:26 PM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
poppi57 Offline

Loc: Stonington
It shouldn't be our fault. It wouldn't be illegal if deer were heading to a farmers fields, someone's apple orchard, etc. - and before someone pipes in yes I understand agriculture is not considered a feeder. If the feeder is on someone else's property how the hell could we be held accountable? If we pattern deer travel regardless of where they are heading and for what reason we should be able to harvest those animals without consequences as long as we own the land or have permission to hunt it. And if I was hunting a piece of property which had deer traveling thru it to get to an adjacent owners feeder I would sure as hell hunt it. Total #*&! if it "could" be held against someone. These laws and interpretation of these laws really irks the crap out of me.

So how would this be dealt with: you have deer traveling thru your property with no feeders on adjacent property. Now the neighbor puts up a feeder. You can't hunt the land you had permission on any more? So landowners who don't want people hunting around them could put up feeders to stop hunters from hunting adjacent properties? If an ENCON officer interpreted the law that way non hunting land owners could theoretically affect the land we have permission to hunt.

This friggin state sucks along with the #*&! laws.

Last night I purchased six boxes of ammunition - shotgun shells at Cabelas. Cashier asks for my pistol permit. Its the first ammunition purchase I've made since the laws were changed. I looked at her and said I realize you have nothing to do with this but I need a pistol permit to purchase shotgun shells which won't fit into any pistols. And yes I guess if I had an ammunition permit I wouldn't need a pistol permit. We're going to need permits to piss and #*&! in this state before you know it.

Vote out anyone who had anything to do with these gun laws.
#1566711 - 03/20/14 01:49 PM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: poppi57]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
Originally Posted By: poppi57
It shouldn't be our fault. It wouldn't be illegal if deer were heading to a farmers fields, someone's apple orchard, etc. - and before someone pipes in yes I understand agriculture is not considered a feeder. If the feeder is on someone else's property how the hell could we be held accountable? If we pattern deer travel regardless of where they are heading and for what reason we should be able to harvest those animals without consequences as long as we own the land or have permission to hunt it. And if I was hunting a piece of property which had deer traveling thru it to get to an adjacent owners feeder I would sure as hell hunt it. Total #*&! if it "could" be held against someone. These laws and interpretation of these laws really irks the crap out of me.

So how would this be dealt with: you have deer traveling thru your property with no feeders on adjacent property. Now the neighbor puts up a feeder. You can't hunt the land you had permission on any more? So landowners who don't want people hunting around them could put up feeders to stop hunters from hunting adjacent properties? If an ENCON officer interpreted the law that way non hunting land owners could theoretically affect the land we have permission to hunt.

Good posting!!!!!

blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
blackfish
#1566834 - 03/21/14 10:20 AM Re: Hunting near someone baiting [Re: deep callin]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Good question Issac,

The problem is going to be what it usually is, your going to be assumed guilty until proven innocent, since there is a chance that a permit holder can manipulate the law to their advantage.

I can see a scenario where a hunter can hunt over bait in a non-baiting zone simply by making a deal with the adjacent land owner for him to maintain a feeder on his property.

All you really need is a property owner who gets along with his neighbor and they both want some deer removed.

That being said, the other two scenarios are also entirely possible.
- A hunter might not be aware of an adjacent property feeder.
- so what if the neighbor has a feeder...I cant hunt my property because of him?

For most deer hunting - you try to intercept deer on travel routes between food and bedding areas. Food = everything deer eat - be it naturally occurring, farm grown, or spun out twice a day on a timed feeder. The first two are perfectly acceptable...but be last one is not......doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

....If we have any say... Vote for May

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics