ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1669643 - 02/09/16 11:26 PM Still slow
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
The winds have been keeping the offshore trips down and my bay boat repair has been slower than expected. I have been able to fish from the road but with little results at all. The fish are all undersized there.

The other day I went out scouting with Mike Jeffcoat and his son Rusty. I stayed behind them to break the cold winds. We knew the water would be dirty in the places due to the winds. We were hoping for some clean water in the back ponds or way up in the far corners. These areas are not effected by the river water and still hold some salinity. We started south and went all around to the east. Could not even get a sniff for the first 3 hours. Once in a back pond we had stained water but it looked good enough to find fish. I get a slow walk off type of bite and missed the hook set. That would be my only action for the day. About 10 minutes later and a bit further along the marsh Rusty hooks up. What a surprise.

This 25 pound catfish was coming to dinner with us. Not the redfish or trout we were looking for. That would be our only other bite for the rest of the day. At least we found where not to go. That is what we scout for. The little patch of water in the picture is where this fish came out of.

The next day we had an offshore trip. They forecasted 2-3 foot seas. Man were they wrong We had 3 guys close to my age. One of them used a cane. About 6 miles out it started getting snotty. We never made it to the second set of rigs. The 36 contender almost stood on end. If we made it out there they could not handle any fish safely. Already soaked they turned around. 2 other boats also turned around. At the dock my crew went inshore with Mike. I got together with One Eye and Willie B and another guy and we went scouting. Knowing where the fish were not we went north. We found a bunch of rat reds. The action was hot. Although we did not limit out on keeper redfish we managed 18 reds, 2 black drum and 1 sheepshead.

Got in just in time to watch the Super Bowl kickoff.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1669654 - 02/10/16 07:55 AM Re: Still slow [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Great Cat!....laying in that ambush alley of the marsh. Nice cooler of eats there.

Keep on catchN Capt!

Active Topics