I recently made a major overhaul of my 2004 Avenger bay boat. I had nothing on the books but with 25 kt. winds with gusts to 40 kts. many offshore people were stuck sitting at the docks. Damon called me and asked if I wanted to take a group of such land locked guys. Do you have to ask?

The weather man was spot on with the wind conditions. I teamed up with another boat for both safety and fishing reports. With the high river and strong winds there was no clean water around. Everything was muddy. The wind gust made casting a joke.

At My first stop I buried the 10 foot power pole in 4 to 5 feet of mud. We laughed because there was a trail of bubbles behind us as the boat was blown directly into the canes. I moved into a somewhat sheltered spot and after a half hour we had a fish on. A 31 incher is always a good way to start.

In the next hour and a half the five of us never got a bite. One of the boats I was with landed a flounder and the other boat never got a bite. all 3 boats moved to another area altogether. At the new place the water was just as stirred up. My boat got a stingray. The guy that struck out all morning landed a 27 pound redfish and the boat with the flounder never got a sniff. The other 2 boats called it at 1:30. I decided to stay in the hunt.

I talked to another captain and we decided to try Coast Guard cut. I had not been there in about a year but it has always been a good go to place.

DO NOT GO THERE!!!!

This is not a joke statement it is serious. The 24 Skeeter I was following slowed down as it got very shallow. we were in the mud. It is 100% silted in. He had to plow through. He would not attempted going through if I was not there to help if things went south. I draft less but I even had to dig mud in most places. The island they tried so hard to save in the oil spill is gone. Where we ran and staged our boats is now a big mud and sand flat.

We made it back into about 2-3 feet of water and started fishing. conditions were still crap. About 3-4 miles from there I found a slight color change. I raised the motor and trolled in as far as I could The boat was rubbing the bottom. Pole down and start casting. The white part of the power pole was showing. The black part was dry. This was the ticket. We put 2 more redfish and 2 good sheepshead in the box as well as releasing a few small redfish, sheepshead, and black drum. A bit after 3 we called it.

We worked very hard for the few we got. Could not have even gotten these without having 4 good fishermen on board.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459