ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1820815 - 09/16/21 12:52 AM Free Classifieds!
mariano Offline
pwned by rock bass

Loc: prospect
I would like to thank the creators of this forum for allowing like minded (for the most part) fishing people to get together.

However.........I think it is a bit of a travesty to have some classified ads only viewable to subscribers and some for free to everyone (for instance, I am not a paid subscriber, but have sold many awesome things to many members of this board--whether it be saltwater gear, vehicles, or in home aid assistance items). It is only harming your audience of who you can sell to if not everyone can view a classified ad (for instance, i cant see what paid subscribers are selling--i might buy it or have an item they are looking for!). I'm not the person at the top, but least have an account to post--paid subscribers are missing out on opportunities to sell things to non-paid users.

And i dont care if you do this or not, i have basically no skin in the game in CT. I can't wait to fish in January on Marion & Multrie smile1
Fishing Info
#1820821 - 09/16/21 06:34 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
Mitch P. Online   tilt

I set a cheap price ($15) for annual access back in 2007 and have never raised the price. Can't say that about the cost of many other things.

Also, I've offered free access to some who have contributed a lot of great content over the years.

I think the price is fair and helps offset the cost of running the site. I run the site on a dedicated server. I've had very little technical problems, and the site has been running 24/7 for years (since 2001). Also tough to say about many other things.

Also, a paid subscriber has the ability to set viewing permissions on each of his posts. If he wants to make a classified post viewable to anyone, he can.
#1820830 - 09/16/21 07:20 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
O-BASS Offline

I think stranding thousands of Americans, abandoning afghans and millions of dollars of equipment in Afghanistan and then telling the American people everything is fine and this is a good thing while shaking hands with the terrorist enemy right in front of our faces while the media does its best to point to anything and everything else is a TRAVESTY. This might fall under non optimized convenience. But...

I always liked being able to Market just the people who subscribe on here. Specifically because it makes it so that the audience that I'm selling to is people that I've got a known for reference for (post history). No more no-shows, last minute cancelation or sudden changes of mind. I sold a really good kayak here without any haggling and with one exception was I nipped in the bud pretty quick offering me a price that wasn't even close to what I was asking for. I got a fair price from a reputable site member who I knew was going to use the gear and make use of the kayak as opposed to just sell it for another $50 more than they bought it for. I also didn't have to worry about being stabbed in a parking lot or showing up and having five or six guys waiting for me to politely take my kayak and not pay me.

Its been beneficial several times. I've used the free option to sell lesser items, advertise outings like the swap meet, and generate more open response from less frequent contributors to get them involved as well.
#1820832 - 09/16/21 07:31 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Originally Posted By: mariano
I would like to thank the creators of this forum for allowing like minded (for the most part) fishing people to get together.

However.........I think it is a bit of a travesty to have some classified ads only viewable to subscribers and some for free to everyone (for instance, I am not a paid subscriber, but have sold many awesome things to many members of this board--whether it be saltwater gear, vehicles, or in home aid assistance items). It is only harming your audience of who you can sell to if not everyone can view a classified ad (for instance, i cant see what paid subscribers are selling--i might buy it or have an item they are looking for!). I'm not the person at the top, but least have an account to post--paid subscribers are missing out on opportunities to sell things to non-paid users.

And i dont care if you do this or not, i have basically no skin in the game in CT. I can't wait to fish in January on Marion & Multrie smile1

Totally disagree as mentioned above. Keep at it Mitch. I also see every single post you have ever done is on the classified section, not one post on anything else. I see why you want them viewed by everyone but this site is first set up for outdoor enjoyment and stories, met a lot of friends on here.

The classified is secondary but nice to have.

Edited by CWood Man (09/16/21 07:34 AM)

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#1820835 - 09/16/21 07:47 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
O-BASS Offline

Yeah really. We could have used a fishing report since 2007.

Some things never change. The complainers are always the ones who contribute very little to the community.
#1820836 - 09/16/21 07:50 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: CWood Man]
swwind Offline

Agree 100% - pay the membership to have access to the buy & sell forum.

Just join the site . . . . and post some reports.

Without that . . . . there is no site.

Originally Posted By: CWood Man
Totally disagree as mentioned above. Keep at it Mitch. I also see every single post you have ever done is on the classified section, not one post on anything else. I see why you want them viewed by everyone but this site is first set up for outdoor enjoyment and stories, met a lot of friends on here.

The classified is secondary but nice to have.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1820843 - 09/16/21 09:37 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
Doormat Offline

Loc: Lebanon, Ct
I don't think non subscribers should be allowed to post ads in the classifieds. Like Mitch said $15 is a drop in the hat to participate here.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
#1820847 - 09/16/21 10:31 AM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
BOB GASPAR Offline

I have been a member since the start (first two weeks) I am not fishing due to health but this site is still dear to me. Over the years Mitch has always jumped to help me. Don't change it, membership is important.
#1820856 - 09/16/21 12:09 PM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
As a publishing professional for over 30 years I highly support your venue, Mitch and urge you to change nothing. Many of the classified offerings are items that site members want little or nothing for. They post knowing that they have little or no use for something while others engaged in that particular type of fishing welcome the chance to acquire the item. Others like the current post for turkeys free to a good home are not fishing related but equally benevolent.

Let the cheap SOB go somewhere else.

MikeV

PS if the turkeys come with stuffing and gravy, I will take them. So much for a good home...
#1820861 - 09/16/21 12:58 PM Re: Free Classifieds! [Re: mariano]
LipRipper Offline

Loc: Boat in Niantic
what was the old American Express commercial....."Membership has it's privileges". If a paid subscriber has the option to set permission to show to all or just other paid subscribers, that's fantastic! How does a paid subscriber make that selection?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics