ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1310028 - 04/24/11 12:45 AM I must have done something right
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
After working for BP and it all comming to an end I settled down to getting back to fishing. I had my boat redone and was just starting to get into fishing again. The other day I get a call and was asked if I wanted to go back to work. I thought of the 7 days a week in any kind of weather and seas and was reluctant at first. I was assured the regementation of the last year would not be put into place so I just quit fishing AGAIN! wtf Anything for a buck.

I have been hired by a company taking out sientists (SP) on a bird nesting observation project. We go to designated islands each day and try to set up within 20 feet of a designated spot in open water each time. I am in shallow water and some is mud while other areas are oyster beds. Anchoring in a certain spot is tough. The winds have been around 18 kts and the next few days will be above that. I also have to run about 15-25 miles in open water no deeper than 10 feet. Challenging to say the least.

I have a few pictures of some of the nesting areas.

Every bird has a small piece of land and always returns to it's nest. These are brown pelicans and there are about 5 active nests in this picture. They think more will be here in a week or so.

These people know the types of birds and also have to keep tract of the nesting areas. In the above there are brown pellicans, laughing gulls, turns, oyster catchers, green heads, and others.

The above area is the most active with about 35 active brown pellican nests up 5-7 from the last visit. There are also several other types of birds nesting way up in the grass that we are not able to confirm from our vantage point.

The one above and the one below are my favorite nesting areas. The herron, egrets, and pink spoonbill rosettes nest in the mangroves on this island. These are all large and very colorfull birds. I love visiting this area.

As the young hatch they have to be counted and documented. Add a bunch of young to this cluster and you can see why these guys have a job cut out for them.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1310029 - 04/24/11 12:49 AM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Frank Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
I'll bet that is some challenging navigation Hoop but they hired the best. Glad to see you're staying busy.

Don't give up, don't EVER give up -Jimmy V

Tight Lines!

#1310057 - 04/24/11 01:59 AM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
mikek06511 Offline

Hoop, you gave up fishing to watch birds?
I might have to get back there again and see if we can't get you back on track.
#1310085 - 04/24/11 10:34 AM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Any time after June Mike.

I can still fish all day. When I am anchored up they can not be disturbed while they are working. I don't talk to them only while I am running the boat so I break out the fishing pole and practice. The water in the area has been dirty but the fish will be there in numbers when it cleans up. Lots of 4 & 5 pound trout I hope. A limit of 25 trout with a few in the 4 plus range would be a nice fish cleaning party.

I am still on the water every day and the pay is good.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1310099 - 04/24/11 11:16 AM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Bob G Offline

Loc: i fell off the rails
goodpost beerchug

Nothing is finer than being in South Carolina
#1310199 - 04/24/11 10:06 PM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
swwind Offline

Hoop,

What are you hearing about Oyster impacts ?

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1310200 - 04/24/11 10:06 PM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Today I ran 35 miles, as a crow flies, north to a new island. Had to run about 5 miles to the east around a large island before heading directly to it. Still had to didge a few small and partialy submerged islands. The winds were 16 kts with gusts to 24 kts. As I said it is mostly open water traveling in less than 10 feet of water. The chop is very sharp and the waves will build up well.

On the way back we observed our 3 check points on dead man's island. Hard to tell many changes due to the high winds and most birds reluctant to move around.

Happy Easter Y'all!

Life is Good!

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1310205 - 04/24/11 10:18 PM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
Happy Easter, Hoop !! Good luck in your new adventures ! What ever it takes to make a living, and stay on the water ! ; ) Keep us in the loop !

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#1310308 - 04/25/11 07:48 AM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Tackleman Offline

Loc: Suffield/Niantic, CT
Just another variation to add to an already amazing career on the water.

Striper Tubes - Keels & More!!

#1310393 - 04/25/11 12:33 PM Re: I must have done something right [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Buck Offline

It is hard to comprehend the vastness of the delta area down near the mouth of the Mississippi. Just an open never ending salt marsh savannah.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics