What a Loss!

Posted by: Michael-SW CT

What a Loss! - 10/25/10 01:28 AM

Sunday afternoon I decided to take a break from trout fishing and going to Twin Brooks Park for bass and pickerel. Arrived at my hot spot around 1:45pm. First cast out there with a size 9 purpledescent Shallow Shad Rap and caught a chubby 13" largemouth. Nothing else after that. I was thinking it was gonna be a good day with hardly any sun, light winds, and light drizzles on and off. Next stop was the rocks at the pond with the beach. Nothing there. When I got to the smaller cove by the island there was a huge swirl. I tried many different techniques with the Shallow Shad Rap but nothing worked. Stayed quiet as I made my way around that pond. Did lose a small largemouth while catching a few bluegills with a Panfish Assassin. Moved over to the cove at the bigger pond. Nothing on the Shallow Shad Rap. Also tried throwing a size 4 silver baby bass Jointed Shad Rap and a size 4 Storm Big Bass Square in shad but had no luck. Later as it got closer to sunset and I was at my November hot spots, I was starting to see breaks on the surface like bass feeding. 2 lures I stuck with were the Shallow Shad Rap and a Bill Dance Heddon Spit'n Image but had no luck. My last stop was the hidden small marshy pond. I was hoping for another nice bass and pickerel like last time with the Heddon. On my second cast at the same spot as last time, I had a huge swirl and then an explosion. I felt this thing pulling! When I looked I could just see the huge tail of a "snake" dancing! Just as I started battling it in, I lost it banghead cry2 I lost what would have been a new PB chain pickerel! It was my fault for working it too hard too soon banghead On one of my last casts I had a swirl that you could call a "California Wave"!
Posted by: Cd662

Re: What a Loss! - 10/25/10 03:57 AM

I feel your pain Mike, but at least he's still in there. I'm sure you'll stick him another day! PS, I'm unemployed again, we should fish sometime.
Posted by: OHMYGOD

Re: What a Loss! - 10/25/10 09:27 PM

Yep, you'll get him next time Michael. smile1