2018 CTF Game Dinner

Posted by: Tall 1

2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 04:04 AM

Due to a very significant decline in member interest and attendance over the past 5 years, I/We have decided to cancel the event in 2018.
If someone would like to chair this event please do so, otherwise, we will try it again after a year off to see if people want to participate or not.
I/We appreciate everyone who always made this event such a success for all of our charitable causes.
I/We do not know the status of the Tackle Swap at this time. Obass will make that decision public in the coming months.

Thanks again for those who made the Game Dinner the largest charitable event in CTF history! kneel

Posted by: Buck_etmouth

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 06:07 AM

cry2
Sad thing to wake up to this morning. Well thanks to all who put this event on in the past it was one of my favorites. Hopefully someone will pick this event up and not let it fizzle out.
Posted by: Crazy Ivan

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Buck_etmouth
cry2
Sad thing to wake up to this morning. Well thanks to all who put this event on in the past it was one of my favorites. Hopefully someone will pick this event up and not let it fizzle out.

Bummer........ I hope this one event would make one more year.

Thanks to all that ran it over the years.
Posted by: PDona

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 01:00 PM

GOOD TIMES! Hopefully we'll do something in the future.
Posted by: FarmerJay

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 01:34 PM

CTF isn't what it used to be. I understand the decision, but it's sad to see.
Posted by: CWood Man

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 05:50 PM

Damn! Saturday's are super tough for me to get out early but I get it. Maybe next year I will help out if need be but I would always be late.
Posted by: JohnS

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/07/17 07:13 PM

Thanks again Jon for runnng it all these years, all the ones I was able to attend have always been fantastic.
Always, always had a great time. My buddy came last year and he was super impressed. Each year i looked forward to see who would get the unofficial "lamp shade" award. biggrin : beerchug Jiggy won it in big fashion one year. biggrin Thanks for the fun times and great memories Jon you are the man!
kneel
Posted by: BLUECHIP

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/08/17 01:52 PM

Banquet instead?
Posted by: macattack678

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/08/17 05:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. Jon, how am I going to get Venison Tamale Pie?

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/08/17 07:12 PM

I HOPE WE CAN HAVE SOMETHING, BRINGS EVERYONE TOGETHER.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/08/17 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BLUECHIP
Banquet instead?

Yes I think it's time. Seems like one is done every couple of years must be due no?
Posted by: duckhuntingfreak

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/09/17 02:04 AM

Was just about to text you to check the date!! My game dinner is march 18th and it's, so didn't want to conflict!! I'm bummed out!! Only time I got to see alot of you guys!!

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/09/17 02:09 AM

Maybe smaller/cheaper venue?? I might be able to offer my club in Middletown?? I'm wiling to help also as long as it does not interfere with my game dinner!!

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/09/17 02:10 AM

Hate to lose such a revenue maker for charity!!

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/10/17 05:29 AM

Maybe we could toss out a date instead of a game dinner have a gathering somewhere for food and drink?
Posted by: Don D

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/10/17 12:01 PM

Seems like all the CTF events have been losing people over the years. I know I used to make them all and don't any more. The younger generation just doesn't have the same passion we had. Just like every thing else the same people do all the work all the time. No one new steps up. Just look at the fishing reports. No one posts like they used to.
Posted by: BLUECHIP

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/10/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Don D
Seems like all the CTF events have been losing people over the years. I know I used to make them all and don't any more. The younger generation just doesn't have the same passion we had. Just like every thing else the same people do all the work all the time. No one new steps up. Just look at the fishing reports. No one posts like they used to.

Damn millennials ruin everything
Posted by: onthewater102

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/10/17 04:32 PM

Sadly haven't posted b/c I haven't been out fishing much, but I've made 3 events thus far this year. Not going to lie, the turnout for the kid's day was a shame - you could tell so much effort went into organizing it but there were very few kids.

Can't say that I see very many young kids on the water when we do get to be out - declining enrollment in schools in my area, parents are either more preoccupied with themselves than their kids or struggling to get by and have no free time - either way evidence points to CT being no place to raise a family.

God knows we want out, too much family rooted here for us to leave though. Virtually all my friends from growing up here have left CT with the exception of a small handful, and those that are gone all seem the happier for it.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 05:47 AM

Gonna really miss the dinner. It is the only time I get to see the old crew. Jon and the boys, thanks for all the good years.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 08:12 AM

I too haven't posted hardly at all this year. Got spoiled fishing in Florida. No ice when I was unemployed rolleyes earlier this year and last....

That and I have an elderly father who is having health issues and in the process of selling his place.

Aside from catching the biggest bass of my life this past April, fishing has been on the decline for me for the first time in 40 years.

I too will miss the game dinner one of the best events I have ever been to.
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 11:30 AM

All,

In lieu of a Game Dinner or Winter Banquet, I was thinking we could get together at a bar/restaurant.

Keep it simple. No booking anything in advance, no selling tickets, etc.

If you can make it, you simply show up. Everyone covers his own tab, or groups can split checks.

If there's inclement weather, we simply pick another day.

Maybe an early Sat. or Sun. afternoon start time?

Keep it central, like a bar/restaurant in the Hartford area.

Who would be up for that?

Looks like the place we held the first ever winter banquet/gathering back in 2003 (Trout Brook Brewery in Hartford) is no longer in existence, so we can pick another place.

How many old school members in this pic from the 2003 winter gathering are still here / can you identify?

Posted by: O-BASS

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 11:45 AM

Im in. Pick a date.

Guy bending over looks like Conrad. Not surprised.

RayZct far left, looks like Frank, Ron, Keith, Chuck...zippy up front, Don p.
Posted by: JLMOS

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 11:45 AM

Sounds like a plan.

Holding the pirate flag...Blaine?
Posted by: Tall 1

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 03:15 PM

I'm in. Say when and where.
Posted by: Greg S.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 03:53 PM

Absolutely

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 07:10 PM

I'm in! I'll host, lol!!!!! If not how about Middletown?

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/11/17 07:11 PM

But next year let's do a banquet or game dinner. I will help to coordinate and stuff.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 12:51 PM

I'd like to make it.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 01:17 PM

I'm in! Exit 6 will be there

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Mitch P.
All,

In lieu of a Game Dinner or Winter Banquet, I was thinking we could get together at a bar/restaurant.

Keep it simple. No booking anything in advance, no selling tickets, etc.

If you can make it, you simply show up. Everyone covers his own tab, or groups can split checks.

Mitch,

Sound like a plan. Can you create a banner for the main web site to alert CTF'ers?

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 04:40 PM

We would DEFINITELY need to let the bar/restaurant know of the amount of people comming, though

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 05:07 PM

I am fishing with Andrew tomorrow and I think he knows someone that owns a bar/pizza place in Middletown.

I will ask him

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: CWood Man
I am fishing with Andrew tomorrow and I think he knows someone that owns a bar/pizza place in Middletown.

I will ask him

Thanks.

And Andrew still wouldn't show up. biggrin

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: PDona
We would DEFINITELY need to let the bar/restaurant know of the amount of people comming, though

Only if we pick a bar in Winsted.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 05:19 PM

Winsted????????

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CWood Man
Winsted????????

What, you don't want to chow down with the elusive Winsted inhabitant, Mike G? biggrin

My point is, we don't need reservations in an inhabited part of CT.

That's the point with this option. No reservations, no hassles. We don't want to be on the line with any deposit or money up front.

Weather could change, and we could easily just pick another date. And more importantly, people who say they are coming inevitably bail.

Any decent bar could accommodate our group, even if 100 people showed up.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 05:46 PM

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/14/17 10:51 PM

Well I know this location wouldn't be considered due to the fact that it is in Westerly, RI.

But like I "ALWAYS" say to Crazy Ivan.... "To THE HAVERSHAM!!!" party2

THE HAVERSHAM!!!

THE HAVERSHAM TAVERN RULES!!!

Posted by: O-BASS

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 10:01 AM

Weekend between afc/nfc championships and the superbowl?
Posted by: LegalFish

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 12:37 PM

I would definitely be in if the date works. I agree with trying to get away from having to reserve a place, deposit, sell tickets, ect. My concern with trying to give a place a heads up on the number of people is that if they hire extra staff for that shift and only a handful of people show up then we are back to square one. A chain location such as Buffalo Wild Wings would be my suggestion or one of Slider's Bar. They always have plenty of staff on a Saturday/Sunday. Just my two cents. I hope we can make this a go one way or another.

Alfonzo

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: O-BASS

That was always the weekend I picked for the winter banquet. Let's go with that. Let's do Sat. Jan 27 with an afternoon start until whenever.

Once we pick a bar/restaurant, we can start a new thread.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: LegalFish
I would definitely be in if the date works. I agree with trying to get away from having to reserve a place, deposit, sell tickets, ect. My concern with trying to give a place a heads up on the number of people is that if they hire extra staff for that shift and only a handful of people show up then we are back to square one. A chain location such as Buffalo Wild Wings would be my suggestion or one of Slider's Bar. They always have plenty of staff on a Saturday/Sunday. Just my two cents. I hope we can make this a go one way or another.

Alfonzo

Totally agreed. If we pick reasonably sized place, we don't have to worry about booking or lining up anything in advance. Whoever wants to come, just shows up.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 04:14 PM

That was always the weekend I picked for the winter banquet. Let's go with that. Let's do Sat. Jan 27 with an afternoon start until whenever.

That is a good idea Mitch.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Crazy Ivan

That is a good idea Mitch.

"Haversham!!!" tongue2
Posted by: ChunkDunker

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/15/17 10:30 PM

I have not been able to make events in the past but I definitely want to start in 2018. I always enjoyed the pics from earleier years. Hopefully can get a contingency from the SW part of the CTF to join me. the 27th sounds good. Looking forward to it

CD

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/16/17 05:59 AM

Icefishing in the morning and hanging out with CTF in the afternoon sounds good to me.
Posted by: jaybirdfishing

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/17/17 12:12 PM

Any Update on the Swap Meet. I have been to it the last few years and the turnout is usually good. Just curious.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/17/17 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybirdfishing
Any Update on the Swap Meet. I have been to it the last few years and the turnout is usually good. Just curious.

Maybe we can do it in the parking lot wherever we meet?

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/17/17 08:01 PM

Eagles club in Middletown?? Has a hall and kitchen!! So we can still do some game food and have the tackle swap at same venue!!

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/17/17 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnS
Originally Posted By: jaybirdfishing

Maybe we can do it in the parking lot wherever we meet?

In mid-January?

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 11/17/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhuntingfreak
Eagles club in Middletown?? Has a hall and kitchen!! So we can still do some game food and have the tackle swap at same venue!!

I'll let Obass answer about the Swap Meet.

But as far as a gathering, no halls, no booking or reserving in advance. We are going to do a bar, thanks.

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 01/05/18 02:10 PM

CTF Winter Gathering is set for Jan. 27.

Click for details

Re: 2018 CTF Game Dinner - 01/18/18 03:20 PM

For everyone who would normally attend the Game Dinner, come on out.

CTF Winter Gathering is coming up Sat. Jan. 27:

Click for details