3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th

Posted by: Matt G.

3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/11/07 09:38 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to just edit this one. Sorry if it is confusing. I have not been able to spend much time on CTF as of late.

Here it goes. Thanks Mike for the reminder and the bump.

Date: May 19th

Where: Point Judith, RI with the Frances Fleet

Directions: Directions

Time: 7pm to 1 am The boat leaves by 7 so make
sure you get there on time

Reserve: You must reserve your spot on the boat
Call 1-800 662-2824 and you must put
a 50% deposit to reserve spot

Cost: $35 if you mention ctf (normally 40)
Rod rental $5

It is a fun trip and as always great to see new CTF members. The bonus is always to get a big bucket of great eats. If you haven't tried it you can learn about it from the previous two trips: Squid Trip 2
Squid Trip 1

You may post questions and comments here. I look foward to another great trip.

T
Posted by: MermaidCT

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/14/07 07:34 PM

Count me in on the Squid Squad \:D
Posted by: gerg

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/14/07 07:42 PM

mmmmmmmmmm squid.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/14/07 10:45 PM

Anyone have any preferred dates? Lets avoid the weekend of May 13th due to prior plans. Any date on a Friday night - Sunday night between may 4 and june 9
Posted by: JLH

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/22/07 04:10 PM

I would like to make one of these trips this year!
Posted by: Fullstrut

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/22/07 05:54 PM

Good idea avoiding the date of May 13th! We got turkeys to kill that weekend!!!!!

However, I am interested in going on this squid fishing trip too. How about June 1st, 2nd, or 3rd???

Any takers?
Posted by: mikek06511

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/23/07 02:00 AM

A saturday night might be good as it will be a late night and long drive home.Folks could sleep in a little bit the next morning.
Pick a date Matt and folks will sign up. I'm in.
Had a blast last year.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/29/07 05:28 PM

I choose May 19th which is a week earlier then the past squid trips. This will give us following two weeks incase of a wash out. The other choice will be June 2nd.
Posted by: Skipperj9

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/29/07 05:50 PM

When does the trip leave and get back, and what is the routine? Just dropping a squid jig? And how much is it, id like to do it to stock up on fresh squid for bait but im gonna be working more than likely all around the trip.
Posted by: Deific

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/29/07 06:13 PM

What do you guys use for squid jigs?

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/29/07 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
I choose May 19th which is a week earlier then the past squid trips. This will give us following two weeks incase of a wash out. The other choice will be June 2nd.
Sounds good. See ya there. \:D
Posted by: Madchark

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/30/07 09:32 AM

Will check the schedule and post up the 19th of May. Did anyone call the fleet office to see if we can get a $5.00 discount if you are with CTF??
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/30/07 09:48 AM

Since CTF has done this a few times now with the Frances Fleet......they now know our number/crew pretty well...they'll probably charge us $5-$10 MORE/CTF person!!!!! \:\)

That is a FUN CTF trip.....dem squidZzzzzzzzzzz....."CTF Ink War!!!!!!" \:\)

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/30/07 10:00 AM

Almost any commercial squid jig will work when they are in thick, but people swear by the yozuri jigs for overall success. Get a variety of colors, white/green/pink seem to work well. They are relatively cheap jigs.

The boat will usually anchor up and chum slowly. The jigs go down two to a line unbated with a small sinker. Use light tackle.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 03/30/07 03:13 PM

I called the The Frances Fleet and set our date for May 19th. The cost is $40 but if you mention CTF you get a $5 discount in price. Prices went up from last year. I will be setting up a new post tonight or so give details. If you want you could reserve the date by calling 18006622824. You need to deposit half the cost by credit card.
Posted by: TCASS

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 04/07/07 01:14 PM

Is this trip still on for the 19? Just making sure before I book. Thanks.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/02/07 12:22 AM

Bump!!!!
Starting to read scattered reports of squid coming into the area.
Catching these buggers is just plain stupid fun and if you don't want to cook and eat them, they also make great bait for bass and fluke.
So Matt are we still go for this trip?
I plan to go either way and will be calling to reserve a spot.
Posted by: MikeDero

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/02/07 12:33 AM

I am going with a few friends on the 19th

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/02/07 02:13 AM

The date is coming up quickly

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/02/07 01:15 PM

I"m really looking forward to this! \:\)

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/03/07 01:31 PM

I found the report from last year's trip with some pics MAY 2006 squid trip report and pics

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/03/07 06:24 PM

All set for the 19th. Do you think we should make mention of the event in the Saltwater section so more ctfs can see the date?? Just an option.
Posted by: PG

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/04/07 01:43 PM

Just curious

How much squid do you get on one of these trips?

PG
Posted by: QuakerHillJohn

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/09/07 06:40 PM

I've tried calling a couple of times but keep getting a busy signal. I hope to go. Anyone know if the trip is close to full yet? John

This trip was highly recommended to me by Zippy.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/09/07 07:13 PM

Ok I'm in. See ya soon, John

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/09/07 11:38 PM

Nice John.
This is just fun fishing like when you were small and pulling in bluegills from the local pond or snappers on the marina docks.
Once you get the feel for it these things are just a blast to have fun with.

Sorry if I confused anyone on the cod trip about the date for this. Seems I was so anxious I was thinking it was a week earlier than it is.
See everyone on the 19th!
Posted by: Robert L

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/10/07 11:08 PM

Matt
I will be their with a friend of mine
Bob L \:\)

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/15/07 09:01 PM

Not much action on this thread!! I am getting excited about the outing! John

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/16/07 02:05 PM

sorry no time really to check it out but should be a great time hope the weather holds out for us
Posted by: sporteus

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/16/07 10:39 PM

Does anyone know if there are any seats left? And is anyone going from the Middletown/Meriden area?
Posted by: gonefishin'

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/16/07 10:59 PM

I'm already booked for June 2 But I'll go twice! Once for bait, and once for calimari! My plan is to get off the boat at 1 AM put the kayak in at the habor of refuge and get some BIG STRIPERS!!! with fresh squid. \:\) \:\) How do you set up a squid jigging rig? This will be my first time. :rolleyes: Sorry, my wife just shut me down on the 19th. My friend is getting married that day!

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/17/07 12:31 AM

The wedding starts at 11:00 AM I'm going to make it in time! I'm already booked! See everyone there! My yak is a tandem. anyone up for stripers in the middle of the night on fresh squid?? :rolleyes: \:\)

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/17/07 01:24 AM

Keeping an eye on the weather. It has been back and forth from showers to sunny. Not that it will matter much at night but I do hope we get a shot at a good night.
Time to start getting my squid gear together.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/17/07 09:57 PM

Sea conditions might not be good at all.
The Frances Fleet site is advising to call and check to see if they are sailing for this weekends trip.

We might have to reschedule our outting.
Will know more tomorrow.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 10:19 AM

That will be a bummer but better then yakking. How about the first saturday in June for a reschedule

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 01:48 PM

OK everybody - I just called the Frances Fleet - the scoop is they had a good night squidding last night, and so far Sat pm is good to go. They have a forecast of wind 5-10 out of the North - so they'll fish off the beach. THey said to call tomorrow around noon to check how things are but so far it looks OK.

keep your fingers crossed \:\)

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 03:09 PM

i hope we don't get those 4 ft rollers again :rolleyes:

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 04:29 PM

Matt - in all honesty I"m trying to reconcile what they told me with the forecast!? I guess best bet is to call them tomorrow at noon to see what they have to say....?

would this be classified as "Extreme Squidding"? \:\)

BLOCK ISLAND SOUND-
1201 PM EDT FRI MAY 18 2007

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

THIS AFTERNOON
NE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS
4 TO 7 FT. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

TONIGHT
NE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT LATE.GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. RAIN. AREAS OF FOG AFTERMIDNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM...DECREASING TO 1 NM OR LESS AFTERMIDNIGHT.

SAT
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT...BECOMING S 10 TO 15 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT. RAIN.AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

SAT NIGHT
S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING SE LATE. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT.A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
Posted by: Stars & Stripers

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 04:43 PM

Five to eight foot seas! That is extreme squidding! Do dramamine and the other sea sickness remedies work in 8 footers!!! Sounds like it might be a better day to hunt turkeys or smelt some lead and make sinkers!

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 06:00 PM

well last year it wasn't bad till we anchored up and then we were like a sea saw. I have only been sea sick twice in my life and last year was the second time. Its funny after you get sick you feel better. Its the combination of not seeing a horizon or shore and the roller every so often. We will see.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 08:20 PM

I called to see if the trip is still on and they said yes, the wind is supposed to drop out and wont be that bad. Im looking forward to this trip.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/18/07 11:06 PM

Gonna check all the weather and sea conditions I can find for that area first thing in the morning, before work.
I'll also have to wait until noon to see what the decision is.
I want to go since we are going to be 3 days past the new moon and I am hoping the squid will be in a good mood. \:D

Either way I will have all my stuff with me and ready to go so hopefully I'll see a bunch of you tomorrow might.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/19/07 09:16 AM

It's getting better!!!!
Looks like we are going.

FZUS51 KBOX 190717
CWFBOX
COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
317 AM EDT SAT MAY 19 2007
COASTAL WATERS FROM THE MERRIMACK RIVER MA TO WATCH HILL RI OUT TO
25 NM
ANZ237-191930-
/O.EXT.KBOX.SC.Y.0055.000000T0000Z-070519T2000Z/
BLOCK ISLAND SOUND-
317 AM EDT SAT MAY 19 2007

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON

TODAY
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT...BECOMING W
LATE. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG THIS MORNING
WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

TONIGHT
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/19/07 02:37 PM

Looking better!! keep your fingers crossed I just called the FF fleet and they said all systems go for tonite - I'm hoping conditions will continue to improve and we'll have a really good night squidding.

Here is their report from yesterday from the FF website:

Friday, May 18, 2007 2pm

Last nights squid trip did well even with the rain and the wind. High hook was around 100 squid. The beach is alive. There are even some small bass around. With any luck we will be squidding right into June. No trips out today. One of the local charter boats did sail and had 7 fluke on the first drift. Then came home because of the weather. We are postponing our first open boat fluke trip until Sunday Morning. Our charters for Saturday are still scheduled to sail as planned. Squid will be sailing Saturday night. The next cod trip will be Monday morning at 7 am.. We have an overnight trip on Wed. to George's Banks.

see you all there! \:\)

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/19/07 02:46 PM

Hey guys, have a great trip!!! I can't make it this time, but I'll be there getting inked in spirit.

It's killing me to hear they are on the beaches. That is a short run from new london, and with an overnight could get some great fluking in at sunup. Maybe one of these days my boat will be floating......

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/19/07 03:18 PM

Will be there tonight!

TD

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/19/07 06:59 PM

I'm on my way!
Posted by: Don P

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/19/07 11:35 PM

Hope you guys are hammering them!

I miss this CTF squid trip outing...lots of fun...but I NEEDED to bang out a few last items on my boat for slipping her this week.

I will be looking forward to your reports and pics!

Calamari....YUMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm......fluke, porgy, seabass, bluefish, striper, tuna, shark, swordfish baits......YUMMMMMM...YUMMMMMMMM & lots of FUN!

Catch'Em Up!!!!

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/20/07 12:32 PM

Don, you didnt miss much. VERY SLOW, I think the enitre boat got about a dozen and a half. My brother and I only managed 1 each. For me it was a complete waste of time and money.
Posted by: Dukefan

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/20/07 10:25 PM

I went last week with a bunch of guys and I will never go again....3 years straight of absolute crap!!!! The captain and mates have the personality of a dirt road!!!
Posted by: fuzzy2u

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/20/07 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukefan:
... the personality of a dirt road!!!
That would be an improvement over some of the women I've dated recently.
Posted by: Don P

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/20/07 10:44 PM

...OUCH......on both accounts!!!!

You know what they say Fuzzy......if you have a live squid at home there is no need to go out on a Sat night! ;\) \:D \:D \:D

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 12:13 AM

Yes, It was a little slow. We had 3 in our group; me, my 12 year old son James and my fishing buddy Jeff. I brought 3 5 gallon buckets and Jeff brought 2 so we had plenty of room for the total of 5 squid we caught. They each could have had their own pail.
As soon as the boat anchored, James said he wasn't feeling good and hit the head for about 5 minutes. He comes back, sits down, then throws up over the rail. He sat it out for awhile then his color returned and he started fishing. He caught our 1st and 2nd squid, Jeff caught the next 2 and I caught the last one.
James and I enjoyed the trip and will do it again, but not right after any storms; the water was pretty cloudy with sediment. We were using our own rods with 2 jigs, a pink and a green jig one each line. It was a nice drive with good easy directions to the boat, the price wasn't bad for a boat ride. The last spot I snapped my line off on something, then when the anchor was pulled up there was a large cable on it. The mates had to lift it off with one of the gaffs and dropped it back down.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 01:53 PM

To be perfectly blunt, the squid fishing sucked!
I got 3 for the whole night and that was one of the bigger catches.
Too much sand in the water stirred up by that storm that just passed through. At least that is my guess. As I was saying on the boat it seems like just when you think you might have a handle on things it all gets turned around and you feel like a fool again.

Well there were a bunch of folks that I knew on the boat including a couple from the squidfish.net site.That made it an enjoyable boat ride at least.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 01:57 PM

In a nutshell the weather/seas were great, squidding was dismal. I was hopeful because of the good report from Thurs pm, but I wonder if the storm that blew through stirred up the water too much, and the barometric pressure following the storm threw the squidding off. I think all the squid took off for Newport to hang out at the Black Pearl on a Sat. night instead....

Nonetheless, it was a nice night on the water with fun people, I did not get skunked, and seeing Madchark's son in his little Grundens - belt and all - was worth the price of admission ( I never knew they made them in kid's sizes - it was so cute! \:\) )

Thank you Matt for organizing this!

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 02:21 PM

It was nice seeing everyone again. I totally agree with you Mike that it just sucked. Sees calmed down but the water was still cloudy. I might go for another trip early june. I want some fresh squid. I might go to newport to fish from the bridges. Anyone want to do a trip like that?
Posted by: stripey

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 04:16 PM

Sorry to hear you guys didn't get any. I've been trying for them pretty hard too, with my own boat and still not getting any. Better luck next time...

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 05:33 PM

MermaidCT, thanks for the kind words about Chad and yes he did a good job driving home after the trip. At the age of seven he already has a lot of hours logged on the water, working towars his 100 ton masters lic. Even though the sqidding was slow we had a good time.

T.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MermaidCT:

Nonetheless, it was a nice night on the water with fun people, I did not get skunked, and seeing Madchark's son in his little Grundens - belt and all - was worth the price of admission ( I never knew they made them in kid's sizes - it was so cute! \:\) )

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/21/07 08:33 PM

Thanks Mike.

Re: 3rd Annual CTF Squid Fishing Trip May 19th - 05/25/07 02:09 AM

Got this from the Frances Fleet website.

Monday May 21, 2007 9am

Squid started off slow and was a bail job by the end of the night. Kyle was leaving his rod in the holder and catching double headers. Hi hook was around 70. It is too bad they bit so late but better late then never. Saturday night was a slow pick all night it just never got going. We had a good group from Ct Fisherman on for their annual squid trip. We will be sailing until mid June 4 nights a week. Reservations are advisable.