Father’s Day Wading The CT River

Posted by: Tall 1

Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/20/21 01:44 PM

With it being Father’s Day, I figured the boat launches would be a circus, so I left the boat at home and got out on the river to do some wading.
The water was surprisingly low and crystal clear. The fish had repositioned from where they were earlier in the week.
So far this year, I’ve been catching a lot of smaller fish which are still fun in the strong current and a light drop shot rod, and today was more of the same, except for the one that got away… of course!
I covered about a quarter of a mile upstream today and caught a few on top water, but most came on a soft plastic jerkbait working my way back down river.

I did hook one very large smallmouth that fought like a beast and jumped twice, but unfortunately, on the 2nd jump she threw my bait back at me which was a heart breaker, but part of the game.

I ended up with about a dozen smallies and one schoolie striper for my efforts.

It was peaceful watching the ospreys and the waterfowl and great exercise too. It’s always fun fighting these scrappers in the strong current.

Posted by: JohnS

Re: Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/21/21 05:51 AM

beerchug
Posted by: Don D

Re: Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/21/21 07:06 AM

Nice morning Jon.
Posted by: tommy

Re: Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/21/21 08:24 PM

Nice report and pics, way to go.
Posted by: MikeV

Re: Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/23/21 03:07 PM

Nice trip Jon. Fish are a lot of fun on the light tackle. I have not done a small mouth trip on the CT River yet. If there is enough water (Big IF) to work the Windsor area, I will get out there this weekend.

MikeV
Posted by: CWood Man

Re: Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/23/21 08:04 PM

Nice going Jon
Posted by: Don P

Re: Father’s Day Wading The CT River - 06/23/21 09:30 PM

Good stuff Jon!