‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word

Posted by: Mitch P.

‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/14/20 04:23 PM

‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word
https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut...6aca-story.html
Posted by: Conquest

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/14/20 05:14 PM

Ha! It was just a matter of time. I caught a lot of fish at the n$&&@? Heads over the years.
Posted by: earl bird

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/14/20 05:42 PM

O.K. Really???
It was "Negro", not anything else.
Is this really offensive??
Posted by: O-BASS

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/14/20 07:35 PM

Hopefully the new name will bring back my business. Thanks, people who felt this was a priority.
Posted by: swwind

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/15/20 10:25 AM

I grew up fishing there a lot in the 1970's.

The previous name was more offensive . . . . .
Posted by: swwind

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/15/20 10:27 AM

So true,

I sailed by it this Sunday and was thinking to myself "how long till that name changes"

Originally Posted By: Conquest
Ha! It was just a matter of time. I caught a lot of fish at the n$&&@? Heads over the years.
Posted by: Four Ten

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/15/20 11:50 AM

Rocks West of Black Point are still labeled as the Black Boys, this weekend I was thinking how long till they are renamed.
Posted by: Scout1

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/15/20 11:59 AM

i was messing around with my Simrad MFD this weekend. When determining which device controls the power, they use the term "Master and Slave"... probably time for a software update
Posted by: M.C. Niantic

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/15/20 07:50 PM

My friends summer house is on Negro Island in Maine. No negroes there.
Posted by: CWood Man

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/15/20 10:14 PM

I was just thinking that Four Tem.
Posted by: frogwop

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/17/20 01:58 AM

Most of us locals will always call it that, and not Salweegan Reef or something like that as it's new name. What's next High Island because it offends someone or Browns Reef. This is getting ridiculous. How about Five Foot Rock because it will offend people of shorter statue.
Posted by: fishy1

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/19/20 03:27 PM

Enough is enough. If you don't like it, there's plenty of other countries out there. Pick one.
Posted by: mikek06511

Re: ‘Negro Heads’ reef off Branford renamed, clearing Connecticut map of offensive word - 07/20/20 03:08 PM

Grew up fishing the area but what it was called back then would have probably been more offensive.
I'm sure you can figure it out.